1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best heat Dissipating material (real one)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xrain, 23 Feb 2004.

?

Best heat Dissipating material

1. platinum

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. gold

21 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. silver

43 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. copper

21 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. glass

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. other material

47 vote(s)
    33.1%
  7. no idea what so ever

12 vote(s)
    8.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. xrain

xrain Minimodder

sorry i forgot to put a poll with the last thread :wallbash: :duh:
    think about the heat Dissipating proporties not the cost

2. TMM

TMM Modder

I would have thought gold or silver, but punched in copper before i could think LOL

3. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

From what I have heard, silver beats copper slightly, and copper beats gold easily. But reports have said that properly formed diamonds transfer heat FAR better than even silver.

4. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Yer, diamonds will transfer heat much better than most other materials. But people don't make heatsinks/waterblocks out of diamond for obvious reasons

5. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

I'm sorry, but I think you need to clarify a little.

What exactly do you mean by heat dissipating properties.

If you mean which is the best material to use in a waterblock, then the only thing we are interested in is thermal conductivity, since the mechanism by which thermal energy is dissipated into the water is largely independent of the material of the water block.

In which case, diamond is just about the best thermal conductor. Pyrolytic graphite has incredible thermal conductivity in the basal plane but is anisotropic and has very poor conductivity in the third axis, hence it is not suitable for waterblock construction.

Both of the above are ludicrously expensive.

A number of companies have developed "diamond composites" with an effective thermal conductivity somewhere in the region of 50-100% increase over copper, at up to 800W/m/K.

With regards to metals,

Silver is around 430W/m/k
    Copper is around 400W/m/k
    Gold is quite a bit lower, can't remember off the top of my head.
    Aluminium is slightly lower than gold and brass is a little lower than aluminium.

However, if on the other hand, you are talking about the materials ability to radiate heat, though I'm not sure why you would be since this is almost entirely irrelevent unless you are in space, then aluminium would be a good choice.

So there you have it.

Silver is the best material for water block construction, though it is very expensive. It has a greater thermal conductivity than copper and is much easier to machine.

Gold is pointless, so don't ever suggest it.

Aluminium is a cheap, free machining material, making it ideal for the design of prototypes, but problems with galvanic corrosion should discourage you from using aluminium as a long term material, particularly in a loop with copper/brass heatercores/rads.

I have not taken part in the poll simply because the question is too ambiguous.

8-ball

6. 8-BALL

Ok here they are.

Platinum 71.6
    Gold 317
    Silver 429
    Copper 401
    Aluminium 237

I added aluminium since you clearly forgot this.

Platinum is crap.

Units are in W/m/K

8-ball

7. KryoNexus

KryoNexus What's a Dremel?

::dreams of a diamond heatsink::

personally, i think copper is the best if you are going for performance vs cost effectiveness, but i would love to throw a silver waterblock into my system :)

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Tbh its something id like todo is make a diamond base for a heatsink. It is possible with CVD techniques but would take FOREVER to make one that big, reguardless of energy cost.

A sterling silver one would be nice mind. Wouldnt mind trying an osmium alloy one, its the densest metal known so should provide good transmission of heat although it smells badly it says here <reads periodic table>.

Dissipation is different from conduction though, hence why platinum has good conduction but crap dissipation?

9. 8-BALL

The figures I gave WERE for thermal conductivity.

Platinum is crap.

10. 8-BALL

Oh, and osmium only has a conductivity of 88W/m/k

11. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

The best use of a diamond in a WB would be as a circular base with cups for the cascade.

12. 8-BALL

Yes it would, but we a re reaching a point where there is little to be gained in water block technology itself.

The interface between the core/IHS and the base of the water block is becoming more and more significant, and is the key area to dropping cpu temps without active cooling.

8-ball

13. xrain

xrain Minimodder

Thanx 8-ball you answered my question even befor i asked it :D , about the "i messed up on last thread thing" i was trying to make this post except i forgot to make a poll :duh o well.
    i looked at the current silver price and its a little more than $6 per troy ounce. so i just might make a silver heat sink in the near future.

ps. apologys obout for getting aluminum and dimond i just wasnt thinking about them or there woulda been alot more choices. thanks for takeing time to pratisapate in my poll i was just curios about it (personally i thought gold was the best :lol: ) o well shows what i know :p
    -
    -
    --xrain--

14. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

It has been posted several times before, though I don't remember seeing the bit about them doing a TIM

Copper Diamond Alloy

DiaCU-II 1200 W/m/K :eeek:

15. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

instead of using natural diamonds then cutting them for use in a waterblock, how about synthetic diamonds. of course cheaper than natural diamonds but still would cost an arm and a leg for that size crystal! :waah:

16. dudeyourmomiscute!

dudeyourmomiscute! What's a Dremel?

the best would be a diamond heatsync.

17. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

But hardly possible, imagine trying to chisel facets to make all the channels, it would be a total nightmare :nono:

Incidently I just read the thread title again
    Did you expect anybody to invent one?

I know of this wonderful material, perfect for heatsinks:

Splurgurgium 57,924 W/m/K

:lol: :lol:

18. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

Well in theory, not reality, one could produce many different magical metals that wisked away the heat. Much like splurgurgium, a naturally occuring gas. Unfortunatly in it's gaseous state it's heat transfer capabilities are terrible. :lol:

19. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

I read about this company in taiwan (I think), who are claiming to have developed the processortechnology for the future.
    They have developed a diamond-circuit which runs at 81 GIGAHERTZ :D No bull!

20. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Why you raving about dimond? Carbon Nanotubes are better. And Friskies Dimonds are being prepared to roll out for use in radars