1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Best UK Games Ever

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 7 Apr 2010.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Who made Super Cars 2 - Magnetic Fields? Where are they from. Awesome game whoever did it.

Championship Manager (now Football Manager) - that series did pretty well didn't it?

Disappointed not to see Repton for Acorn Electron on the list. Not even Killer Gorilla.

More thought next time please ; )

2. John_T

John_T Minimodder

That's what I love about this website - so many cultured and intelligent posters! :D

The Dizzy games were BRILLIANT, also pretty sure Micro Machines (1 and 2) were British too - surely worthy of a spot?

3. Lockinvar

Lockinvar What's a Dremel?

Completely agree with Dungeon Keeper and Rome as the best from their respective developers, although in Bullfrog's case it's close.

But Tomb Raider II over the original?? No way. While admittedly lara had a few cool new moves (and the gameplay may have been improved) that was no substitute for the incredible atmosphere and memorable levels and characters of the 1st game. Tomb Raider Aniversary was basically my biggest wet dream ever. How many games get a remake?

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There were so many Codemasters games we wanted to put in - Cannon Fodder, Micro Machines - but we had to be ruthless in our picking.

5. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Somebody somewhere must turely have considered remaking DK with a little more upto date graphics...c'mon!

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    MTW > RTW
    Different starting eras, proper experience system, civil wars, re-emerging factions, ...
    You needed mods to have some fun with RTW, RTR and EB comes to mind.

7. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

Ahh, Time Commanders! Great stuff. The historical advisor who put that show together - Adrian Goldsworthy - was one of my tutors in ancient warfare at King's College. The guy was a legend even before that show came out. I remember him demonstrating a Roman trebuchet with a small model that fired Maltesers into the crowd.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Hmm... I really think the original Tomb Raider is the best, both in terms of story, sets and gameplay. (I've got them all, by the way :))

Also, Realms of the Haunting by Gremlin Graphics/Interactive (Antony Crowther) should have been on the list. One of those games you'll always remember (in a good way, for me) after having played it.

9. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

Hmmm... doesn't seem to be working properly. First of all it demands a US state, and even when I fill in a state I don't get the link emailed to me.

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Bloody terrifying too.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Yeah, it was definitely of the spookier sort. Funny, how this was a complete departure from what Tony/GG was known for.

12. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Hey, what about Jeff Minter and his Mutant llamas? I remember playing Revenge of the Mutant Camels on my Amiga, and thinking what was the person who made this game on? Also, not to forget, little known Sensi Software games like Mego-lo-mania, Wiz-Kid, and Sensible Golf?

And my favourite early Psygnosis game (not Shadow of the Beast - all looks, no gameplay) but Hired Guns. My first taste of split-screen four-player RPG goodness.

Oh, and how about a mention, for Revolution software of Broken Sword and Beneath a Steel Sky fame. Still in the game's business, and still making ports of their games for mobile platforms.

13. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Manic Miner owned Jet Set Willy. MM was the first computer game I ever played. I played it until the rubber keyboard melted. :)
    I don't see Eye of the Beholder on that list. That was the game that got me into playing real graphic RPG's. For the time, simply amazing.

First ever RPG for me I guess would have been The Hobbit on the Spectrum "Your looking at a round green door..." Amazingly annoying and yet addictive.

Jet Pac? How can you possibly omit Jet Pac? Or the Horace games? Horace & the Spiders...oh yeah. Horace Goes Skiing burnt up hours of my life.

Syndicate pwned. You should be ashamed not having it in there.

Speedball 2 was amazing. Another game that burnt away hours of my youth.

First online game I played to any real length of time though was probably EF2000 on the Wireplay Service. By the time I got my 3rd phonebill for £800 it was getting tiring though.

Elite is truly the game of games though. Both on the Spectrum and on the BBC in school every kid in my class was into it. It was only the truly dedicated gaming geeks like me that managed to get to Elite though playing during dinner times only.

I waited until EvE to even get close what those kids in the class were dreaming about doing back in those days without having any real idea of what we were talking about other than "Tell you what boys, if we could play this game at the same time and shoot each other that would be fab". EvE still doesn't do it. But it is closest.

14. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

That's called an adventure game. Now, say it slowly with me: ad-ven-ture. :p

16. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Now, say this slowly with me while looking in a mirror "I will call it what I want".

Wh-at-I-wa-nt-not-you-.com

:eyebrow:

17. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

The good old days :) I really do mean that as well. Something that was inspiring back then is just missing in games now. Elite may look absolute gash compared to modern games, but the game play would embarrass the best of the best today. I would happily play Elite now... in fact, I shall look at the above link and see if I can do just that. Elite, was, and in my mind, still is the best game ever.

Team17 brings back memories also. Alien Breed was epic, as was the sequel. The final 3D version wasn't that great though. The Amiga wasn't up to the job ( Even the AGA chipset of the 1200 which at the time was pretty good).

I urge... no, BEG you youngsters to play Elite. See past the craptastic graphics, and just immerse yourself in the game play. It's one of the few games that TRULY deserves the honorific of "epic".

18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Never could get into Elite tbh...

As for Alien Breed 3D, or anything 3D á la Doom on the Amiga, there was a specific reason it failed (as in, ran too slowly) while it worked on a PC.

The Amiga's graphics subsystem handled graphics in an altogether different way to the PC back then. The Amiga used bit planes, i.e. for a 256 colour image 8 layers of bits the size of a given resolution were stacked on top of each other. The PC, on the other hand, supported "chunky pixel" graphics mode, where all 8 bits were packed into 1 byte making it much faster at accessing and altering the individual pixels. These days, chunky pixels are hardly used with PCs either, at least to my knowledge. Pixel processing power has increased to such a degree that it's pretty much irrelevant whether the data is stored in planes or chunks.

19. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

My nominations:
    Clyde Radcliffe Exterminates All the Unfriendly Repulsive Earth-Ridden Slime (aka Creatures by Apex Twins)
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/clyde-radcliffe-exterminates-all-the-unfriendly-repulsive-earth-
    Last Ninja III (by System 3 invented the Action Adventure genre without it Lara Croft would not exist)
    http://www.system3.com/index.jsp?i=682&s=1111
    Speedball 2 (C64 version is still more fun than the recent PC rehash and faster than the Atari & Amiga versions, EA should take lessons for their annual Ice Hockey, Football games)
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/speedball-2-brutal-deluxe
    IK+ (by System 3 best beat-em-up ever)
    http://www.system3.com/index.jsp?i=750&s=1111
    Stunt Car Racer (by Geoff Crammond, first true 3D racer)
    http://www.classic-pc-games.com/c64/games/stunt_car_racer.html

20. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

Don't forget about Dundee's awesome Crackdown on Xbox 360 :)

Tags: Add Tags