1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Big Picture mod Home made desk, homemade CNC router and Scratch case.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Iraklis Gkolios, 1 Jul 2014.

1. Iraklis Gkolios

Iraklis Gkolios Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Hello Bit-tech, i have been away for some time and left my Prodigy case mod incomplete. Due to some health issues and heavy work load i couldn't keep up with my modding schedule, so i decided to pause the prodigy case and start a new project.
    In the last month we renovated our house completely and i found my self without a desk to put my pc on. Currently my case sits on a poor kitchen table and feels unhappy about it:mad:

This work log is going to have 3 sections. The first section will be the construction of my DIY CNC router, where i will cut the pieces from a 19mm thick MDF board, assemble and test. The second will be the construction of my desk where i am planning to make a fully plug and play desk and last but not least the building of my case. The whole project is going to be a slow one since there are many things to do. I am planning to complete the project around the time the new CPU's (socket 2011-3) arrive, so ill be able to make a hardware upgrade and move my old pc the the prodigy case.

Section 1
    The CNC router is going to have 3 axis (XYZ) and the cutting tool will be a Dremel 3000 with a possible upgrade a wood router with attachments to cut aluminum. The body of the router is wooden (19mm thick MDF board) and ill use aluminium and metal for the other components. Ill try to post a precise work log on the CNC to make it possible for others to copy it. The whole CNC budget is going to be around 300euro.

Section 2
    The Desk will be from wood. I am planning to make a big corner desk with some top shelves and many plugs to avoid as many cables as i can. LED lightning and some I/O and USB ports are standad.

Section 3
    For the case i have 2 scenarios. The first scenario is a full scratch case where ill build all my parts with the CNC router i am going to make + some other tools i have.The design of the case will an almost casual one without leaving the beauty outside. My main goal is to combine as many ideas i have gathered the time i was away in terms of functionality and innovation.
    The other scenario less possible though is to make a space in my desk where ill put the PC components.

My journey starts tomorrow with trying to make this
    [​IMG]

look like this:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your time

Cheers
    Iraklis 'Lethal' Gkolios

Last edited: 4 Jul 2014
  2. Iraklis Gkolios

I just finished the 1st cutting board. I think ill need around 5-6 more of these boards to finish with the CNC and then ill start cutting pieces :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy

Iraklis ''Lethal'' Gkolios

Last edited: 3 Jul 2014
  3. phem0r

phem0r What's a Dremel?

Looks interesting, are you making your own i guess CNC setup too? That's cool :thumb:

4. Iraklis Gkolios

Yes i am building the CNC also for this project and for future ones :)

Iraklis ''Lethal'' Gkolios

5. Iraklis Gkolios

The first pieces of the CNC are done. Next step is cleaning the edges on a router :)
    [​IMG]

6. Iraklis Gkolios

Case sketchup sneak peak
    [​IMG]

7. Iraklis Gkolios

I decided to remove the left and right panel. Ill think something to replace it, prolly a mesh. Meanwhile i added the double reservoir in the sketchup
    [​IMG]

8. Iraklis Gkolios

My new chair has arrived, you cant imagine how comfortable it is. As far as the CNC, i almost finished cutting the pieces. I'll need to go shopping for some bolts and screws.
    [​IMG]

Iraklis ''Lethal" Gkolios

9. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to seeing the cnc come together :)

Please resize your pictures

10. Kerroin

Kerroin What's a Dremel?

Wow! That will be great!

I can't wait to see your cnc. I have one too, but I hadn't the courage to make the pieces myself, but bought it in pieces. (MyDIYCNC for those who will ask)
    The complete kit costs about 500-600 USD (pieces, motors, elec boards, ...)

I'll make some tests as soon as I have some time