1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits The Biggest Failures of 2009

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 28 Dec 2009.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. The Jambo

The Jambo Last on the scene

I'm completely with the NAND price problem. Thanks for holding the world back, guys.

3. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Active Member

As for the SSD, NAND flash prices may be blamed on Apple and their Iphone/Ipod touch/Nano.
    They practically dictate the prices.

I haven't had any problems with GFWL in Warhammer DoW II (which is a Steam game...) nor Batman nor RE5...

Last edited: 28 Dec 2009
  4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa - IWnet

Still upset :(

5. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!
    Lucky you.

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Woah, what's with the intense Xbox hate on the first page?

7. fodder

fodder Member

With Joe on the GFWL, utter pants to the point where I won't use a game with it.

Also I would like to second IWnet as a fail. If I wanted that kind of online matchmaking I would get a console, it's cheaper for starters...

MW2 is such a great game, but it's multiplayer is hampered by the IWnet farce. Not only is it difficult to get a game if there is more than three of you in a party, but if you have more than six it simply won't allow you to join a game as it can't get everyone on the same team.

The lag is pretty shocking too. Not the usual warping or stuttering lag associated with a poor ping (although that is present a lot of the time), but the delay between your local action on screen and the result of that action. Play COD4 for a bit then go straight to MW2 and you will see what I mean, it seems like an age between shooting an opponent and the confirmation of a kill.

So, congratulations IW for taking the best FPS you have made (IMHO) and hobbling it to the point of a 56K modem in quake.

I won't go into the details of dedi server's abilities to allow you to kick the cheats and abusive players, everyone can work that one out (apart from IW!).

8. digitaldave

digitaldave New Member

"At first we suspected that Crucial was trying to earn some money on the back of the positive review"

get over yourself, with self importance comes fail and by the looks of it, you're not winning.

9. digitaldave

digitaldave New Member

actually, on the subject of failures, what append to the custom pc magazine editorial ?

gradually over the last 18 months its slipped into a dire quagmire of errors.

a psu that blew up, still gets 20% ? surely if it died its a plain and simple 0

the graphs don't correlate anymore, eg the win 7 review, one page the graphs show xp is faster in a certain test, the next page the same test shows win 7 is faster.

sorry for being pedantic but if custom pc are to remain a respectable source of information they have to get their facts right, everytime I pick it up I spot another contradiction or error, need to up your game guys rather than wallowing in self importance (like james did above)

10. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

...NAND has been seriously underpriced for years...may be this correction was necessary?

about GFL, now that GTAIV is sold through steam, does it still require GFWL?

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

it does

12. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Perhaps GFWL has only 2 persons behind it, and with the proliferation of '!', I suspect Balmer happens to be the other.

You know, the useless one in the team who holds the largest post but doesn't contribute much. (In a sense as I doubt Balmer will have time to even code anything. Or that I don't even know if he can code.)

13. Autti

Autti New Member

tiger woods? Oh wait you mean tech things....

14. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

MW2 IWnet =fail , last night we got 3-4 games out of the 10-15 we tried to start/join

and PSU blowing up is an fail , not sure if CPC test these things at 100-90% load for extended time like hardocp does (at least 1-2 blow or cut off permanently when they test PSUs at 100% loads), most would not buy an PSU and run them at 80% limits or higher, most norm 20-40% at best as thats the best spot for efficiency

i not used GFWL yet

15. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Yes, what the hell's going on with NAND flash prices?

Undercapacity? Rampant profiteering.

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Somehow I missed Fermi on that list. As for SSDs, the technology as such is still way too immature to replace hard disk drives.

17. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

Just the fact that the money Microsoft has spent fixing Xboxes over the last few years could have probably kept the entire Aces Studio employed for the next three decades. Even the more conservative figures we've seen of failure rates would mean hundreds of thousands, if not millions of units being returned. It just feels like Microsoft is bleeding serious money away needlessly in some areas, and chopping off tried and tested franchises which have been successful for over twenty years, in others.

18. bogie170

bogie170 New Member

+1

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

imo the xbox platform has been the biggest failure of the decade, dragging the industry kicking and screaming downwards and swamping it with the gobshite masses.

just think of what the industry would be like without the xbox franchise.

im already in my happy place.

Ficky Pucker likes this.
  20. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

they're saving it a spot on the 2010 list

Tags: Add Tags