1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp The Bit-Tech Case Design Competition - Take 2 Decision Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bentleya, 3 Jan 2009.

?

Which 3D application should be used to design the case.

Poll closed 11 Jan 2009.
  1. Sketchup only.

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Any Freeware 3D application.

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Any 3D application.

18 vote(s)
    41.9%
  1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

:read:

2. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

one other idea that comes to mind: Do you think it might be possible to get a sponsor prize from a company (or person) that does some CNC milling. It would be super-awesome to see the winning case become reality, and it would be the ultimate prize. At the same time, i think it could be some great exposure for the company in question, and tempt quite a few others of us into just ordering our designs in case we dont win :p

Alternatively, if one of us forum members has access to a CNC mill with alu working capabilities, we could just organise the prize ourselves. I'd definately be willing to put in a tenner if it is spent on that!

3. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

Agreed :) :rock:

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's a bit OT but I think we need a case ideas thread as well for random submissions and which could be an excellent rescource for extra project ideas. (I'm posting this here because the idea is that SU is a good tool for putting ideas down on paper so I'd imagine a lot of submissions would be SU models)

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thread tornado!
    -I say SU only. Using a set render environment would be bad too. Imagine you built a black case and the background for the render is also black.
    -Keep it to one thread and have the deadline months from now. The whole point was to create a thread with uber-crazy ideas rolling in.
    -I say start with a base design, but have no limitations on what you do this time. The only problem will be keeping people honest. I can see problems with people abusing existing models. We should limit the allowed models you can import to components.

@xtrafresh-dream on, dude.:hehe: Do you have any idea how much that would cost?

6. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

maybe a Case Design of the Year Competition would be good for that.

7. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I think sticking with SU allows people to use the components to save them time, and concentrate on the case (or whatever) itself instead.

8. Xtrafresh

lol, clearly i dont. please enlighten me :)

Anyway, i'm just ranting off some crazy ideas here. The main discussion is still about the restrictions for the competition. I really dont think it amkes that much different to be honoust, it'll just come down to creativity anyway.

You do have a point about the rendering. We'll probably have to assign every person a "booth" in which to display his case.

9. Cheapskate

Another good point. :thumb:

10. Computer_Tinker

Computer_Tinker What's a Dremel?

I just started using Sketchup and it is easy to use.

Since I am a virgin modder. I went with a basic mod. A vertical drive mounted behind modder's mesh.

More complex models will come over time, for now Sketchup is easy to use and operate, even for a beginner like me.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

better idea, take the winning design and build it for them! tad expensive i know, but what a prize! advertise the comp everywhere, should drum up even more buisness.

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

All this case making talk is only viable if you get a whole load of sponsors.

13. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Building the winning case would be extremely expensive. Mnpctech simply doesn't have the finances to do this for free.

What I can do is offer some of the products we make again :thumb:

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

plus the shipping to the Uk or europe would be a crazy cost! Shame, maybe a we could have it as the 3rd comp, completely unlimited, but based around a case MNPCtech stock. Plus entry fee to cover costs.

15. Cheapskate

An entry fee is no good. We already have a problem getting contestants, and BT would be liable if something went wrong. Then there's the hell of exchange rates...

16. Cheapskate

OOh... I'm the grim reaper of discussions.
    What happened to Modgodtanvir? Why hasn't he or the BT staff noticed this? It's like an alien gestating in a Colonial Marines' gut...
    We need someone to yell 'GO!'

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

18. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

19. Xtrafresh

yarr, agree!

IMHO, if MNPCTECH are main sponsors again, nobody but them can start the thread, or decide on final format of the competition.

soooooo.... create the damn thread already, so i can start clicking :lol:

20. scooby

scooby Minimodder

So when is this all going to happen, and for how long?

I agree with some of you guys... I think we should use programs that we are all use to. The best DESIGN will prevail.

I have a feeling that some companies may be looking at this thread very carefully.:)

Scooby;)