1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Bit-Tech Component: Wish and You May Receive Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGreatSatan, 4 Feb 2014.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Hard drive in the laptop started clicking and died, so my girlfriend now has nothing she can easily work on. Ideally I'd like to source a really cheap SSD for this, even 30GB would do as everything is saved to the cloud. I'd normally pick up a cheap one but my already meagre bank balance is being pummeled into submission by car bills for the next three months (tax, tyres, services, MOTs, new dashboard) :rolleyes:

This laptop has been in the family for 8 years now, I can't just watch it die!

For donations I have a 120mm AcoustiFan DustProof (they sell for around £20 each), so if anyone is in dire need of silencing their rig hit me up:

[​IMG]

Also got an HP H61 socket 1155 mobo doing nothing - would make an excellent basis for an HTPC or general purpose rig:

[​IMG]

I can also probably help out if you're looking for a functional 17" LCD.

May the love flow free in this thread :)

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I'd love a decent 120 mm fan shirty if it's still on the table. I need an out taking fan in my case; it gets mighty toasty with only a 180mm at the front.

3. Shirty

PM me your preferred address mate and I'll get it posted out for you in the next few days. It's addictive though, you'll want to silence everything else in your case when you hear how quiet it is!

4. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

SATA?

I have a few laptop drives (Not SSD's) that I don't want

5. Shirty

Yes, SATA2 I believe. Anything would be a saviour at this stage!

6. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

I also have a number of SATA drives in unknown condition (Job lot pulls, I only wanted the screens).

You are welcome to them, and assuming you find something that works for you, wipe the drive.

7. Shirty

Generosity overload!!!

I'm really looking for a relatively low capacity drive (the dead one was 160GB iirc), so anything fitting the bill would be gratefully received!

If you want to shift a job lot then I'm happy to test them and pick out any that are working OK, which I could then re-distribute back into the community again?

8. InSanCen

Indeed you are. As they are unknown pulls, wiping them first is probably a good idea. I was just going to pinch the magnets from them, but never got around to it.

I have them in front of me, and they are :-
    Toshiba 250+500GB, Seagate 320+500GB and a Hitachi that looks to be a 160GB.

PM me and we'll sort the details out.

9. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

My keyboard has been on the fritz for ages and now it is.... Dead. If anybody has anything they'd be willing to donate until I can afford something, I'd appreciate it out of my heart. I dont need anything great or mechanical, just something that actually has working keys.

I've had this keyboard for nearly three years, I didn't want to replace it yet:waah:

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Not a component request -

Does anyone have a Dell OEM Windows 7 Professional DVD? I have a mate with a dead HDD in his laptop which, I think, had a recovery partition for the OS.

He has a Win7pro COA sticker on the base, and I've dug out an old 160GB HDD for him, but he has no installation media.
    Where are you? I can send you a brand new Lenovo keyboard, but you could probably pick up something cheaper than the cost of posting it to you.

11. InSanCen

IIRC, you can download the ISO from Technet, and the license unlocks the features appropriate to the "level" of the CoA.

EDIT:-

Have at it...

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

12. David

I did not know that - I thought all the online versions were retail images only.

13. InSanCen

I'm pretty sure there are only 2 ISO's, 32 and 64 bit. The CoA/key unlocks features depending on the level you paid for.

14. David

I was under the impression, OEM images were only available from the OEM - Dell, Toshiba, HP etc...

I know my wife's laptop wouldn't accept a retail install with her OEM Win XP key - but I don't know if the policy has changed with newer OSes.

I'll give it go though, cheers.

YEHBABY likes this.
  15. Shirty

I managed to bring an HP laptop with COA back to life with a retail Windows 7 ISO a while back, had to phone activate it I seem to remember.

16. InSanCen

Yup, you have to activate it, but assuming you have a legit key, it's pretty simple. I've done it numerous times, (I repair them for a living, sometimes the spyware is too stubborn to remove, and it's pave and nuke time). I have had to call MS a couple of times to activate the install, but no hassles there.

17. David

Cheers chaps - I'll try it tonight.

YEHBABY likes this.
  18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Still on the hunt for a small SATA HDD [120/160+ GB] for the rents' PC, the one they have is on it's last legs and i dunno how long it'll last...

their current one is 120 or 160GB but I think anything 80+ GB should do

19. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Where in Newcastle are you? Was it Wallsend? I've a 250gb you can have.

For me, I'm on the lookout for a cheap copy of Windows Server. Maybe a new CPU and Mobo later in the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I've a Bluetooth Logitech DiNovo set inc an MX mouse and media pad you can have for postage

Sorry for the double post, on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk