1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Bit-Tech F1 2015 Thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 23 Nov 2014.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The rules are pretty clear on this, the top ten get into the final session, in the preceding two sessions half of the remaining field goes out in each (however many that may be).

If it's 18 cars it'll be four, if it's 20 it'll be five.

rici1241 likes this.
  2. rollo

rollo Modder

The people who do analise say if both runs where on fumes the merc has around 0.5 seconds in hand on williams lap time. Its a much more competitive lap and on another track they could be alot closer than that even ( lets hope) The rest are at least 1 second off that pace.

Really worried for McLaren no full power engine testing and no run time means they really are in trouble.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

There was talk yesterday (autosport live) that Lewis's Merc sounded "like a tractor in the pitlane" - "probably limiter induced" - which makes me think they were still cruising.

Karun Chadhok (AS+) said the Williams looked very good and not being pushed to the limit just yet on that lap.
    He also said Mercedes looked invincible.

I reckon Williams will be closer to Merc this year, but they've not been front running for so long that they'll lose it in strategy calls, slow pitstops, that kind of thing. And, let's be realistic: Catching Lewis and Nico is one thing. Overtaking them quite another.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Umm, if it was in the pit lane, the limiter would be engaged, so of course it would sound like that. :confused:

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Don't forget what happened last year with Red Bull, in testing they struggled to get the car moving without it falling apart, then went on to win every race where the Mercs failed.

So maybe we shouldn't be too quick to narrow it down to Mercs and Williams as front runners.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

True, but lets also not forget what happened to Lotus, where they struggled to get the car moving without it falling apart... and it didn't improve much over the season...

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Mercs pace is truly nuts, there race pace and 1 lap pace is just so much quicker the rest of the field are not even playing the same game.

Looking at testing not the best thing to view. Merc are miles clear, Williams and Redbull are close. Rest are fighting for scraps. The fact Ferrari have yet to complete a race sim is really not great in showing where they are.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

As usual I don't think we can draw anything from testing times for sure other than Merc being very fast, Williams being good again, and Red Bull managing to drag the Renault power unit up near the front with very good engineering on the rest of the car.

Q3 in Melbourne is when we'll know for sure! Bring it on. :D

9. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Would be scary to see how fast the RBR would be with a different PU

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Sounding a bit optimistic there krikkit. I'm hoping against hope for a solid McL season, but have to admit that it's looking less likely than a ferrari WCC/WDC did last year.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Considering Renault pushed for the changes you would assume they would be the biggest benefactors of it.

12. Krikkit

RBR were the 2nd best last year don't forget - that's despite a 50hp deficit to the Merc-powered teams (thereabouts anyway).

Unfortunately my hopes for McLaren-Honda having a good year are dwindling - they've had just the same barrel of issues the rest of the teams had last year (although not as disastrous as Renault's first few days). And that's despite everything that McLaren learnt by running the Merc engine last year.

That said, we have no idea what performance will be like once it's running well.

13. fix-the-spade

Merc went full controlling boyfriend on Mclaren last year, making every Mclaren employee leave the room when they working on the engines and working behind covers to prevent filming etc.

I think the only thing Mclaren learned last year was that Mercedes had a powerful engine.

14. Krikkit

Even so, the design lessons learnt about integrating the engine into the car, electronic system design etc were all things that McLaren did for themselves. Yet they've had similar issues (alright most will be from Honda's end, but even so)

15. rollo

rollo Modder

McLaren themselves have said not to expect much pre European season. By which point its a touch late. Redbull I still think will be best of rest on none engine tracks. Williams / Ferrari are very close to each other.

The funny thing is what wolf said they have done there entire testing on a single engine. McLaren have used 2 of there 5 in the last 3 days alone.

16. fix-the-spade

Too late is not being competitive this year. Mclaren haven't factored seriously into the championship since 2010 (they should have won 12 had they built the cars properly) and they've had only a couple of podiums since 2012.

For them the engine limit, constructors/drivers titles and grid penalties are all pretty much irrelevant, they're not in contention. What they have to do, absolutely have to do, is win a race or races.

If both cars blow up in 19 races and they win the only race they finish the season will be a success.

It will make me really happy if that one win is not Mr Alonso.

17. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

If McLaren only achived half a dozen podiums the switch will be a sucess, for the simple fact that would still become their best season since 2012. I think that is still with in grasp (thou testing is bollocks for knowing much). Hopefully a win will be on the cards too, but the Mercs will be hard challenge to every team again

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 4 Jan 2018
  19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Cant remember who said it but there's an f1 quote that is apt here -

It's better to have a fast but unreliable car, than a reliable but slow car...

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

...and Red Bull's livery is out... let's just say it's not as fetching as the Dazzle Camo Testing livery, and I am disappointed. But then, Mr Horner only ever promised that FANS wouldn't be disappointed, and that excludes me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]