1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Bit-Tech F1 2015 Thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 23 Nov 2014.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

2. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

3. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

4. lilgoth89

5. faugusztin

That Mercedes idea is the worst design of the all :
    1) blocks the center of the view
    2) you can't open it when car flipped anyway
    3) protects only against huge debris - wouldn't help you in the case of Massa's injury.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

IIRC, Massa was hit by a 2kg spring whilst travelling at ~140mph. The upright/ T-Bar would likely have deflected the spring.

7. faugusztin

Massa was hit at the side of his helmet, above his left eye. That could still easily pass around that T bar. Or minor hits are fine ?

Either make it a full canopy, or make it a cabrio-like front window. There is really no alternative, certainly not this monstrosity from Mercedes.

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Pretty slim odds id say, the spring wasnt very large and without a closed cockpit there is always a risk. Ironically they wont use a closed cockpit partly because the risk that debris could be launched into the crowd.

enclosed cockpit doesnt help stop debris hitting the crowd here

[​IMG]

or here

[​IMG]

or here even

[​IMG]

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I don't think the T-Bar/hoop is a terrible ide. It would keep tyres, etc away.
    Small items probably not so much.

That said - it'd also be a matter of time before that gets used as an aero device.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The spring came in from the left at an angle, it would have gleefully ignored that protuberance and smacked Felipe on the head anyway.

Formula 1 seems desperate to avoid the obvious, which is a roll hoop at the front of the cockpit and then an armoured glass (as in laminated Ploycarbonate) windscreen that extends to a height level with the top of the drivers head rest or very slightly higher. Imagine the shape of the front section of a F15 or F18 canopy (as opposed to Ferrari firing entire tyres at a second hand F-16 canopy six years ago and calling it too weak, despite it surviving the impacts intact).

Of course this would interfere with their precious aero, hence stupid objet d'art type affairs. Anything to let them pretend the status quo is the best solution.

11. fix-the-spade

http://planetf1.com/driver/3213/76117/Williams-retain-Bottas-Massa

In possibly the least shocking turn of events this year, Williams are retaining the services of both Valteri and Felipe. It's almost like they want to have consistent, reliable drivers in their team.

I wonder if any of them miss Pastor (except when they miss him in the literal sense on track).

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Mercedes have a new upgraded engine for monza and it already looks crazy fast.

13. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Really hoping the Ferraris (mainly Kimi) are competative in race trim and can take it to the Mercs. I think we'er likely to see a Merc 1-2 though, with more of a battle over 3-6 between Ferrari/Williams/FI

Best starting positions ever for the Manor boys as well, highly unlikely but they could pick up a point or 2 if the cars around them have issues etc..

With Maldonado being in the middle of the pack I fully expect carnage at the first corner! I'll go for Maldonado/Grosjean and one of the Saubers out there.

14. lilgoth89

and Grosjean, Maldonado out....

who saw that coming ? :thumb:

15. fix-the-spade

Frankly I didn't. I mean, not like that, not in such a dull an-crash like manner.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Vettel has been in a sweary mood recently it seems -

[​IMG]

17. lilgoth89

18. faugusztin

Hamilton and Rosberg. Question is if they can punish Nico for next race if they DSQ Hamilton.

19. fix-the-spade

In the past Red Bull have run tyres at pressures and camber angles beyond Pirelli's recommendations, it will be something of a travesty if they punish Hamilton over it this time.

20. Pieface

Pieface Modder

It's a bit sad of Williams to come out and pretty much beg for a DSQ. Especially after their cock up at Spa. Also the Red Bull fans coming out and begging for a DSQ because of Riccardios DSQ last year when his car consistently went over the fuel flow rate which will most likely have a much better performance advantage over 0.3 psi on the tyre. I'm not saying Hamilton shouldn't be punished (OR Mercedes, unless they find out Pirelli did cock up), but a DSQ over 0.3psi to let the Ferrari win at Monza screams ********. Even Vettel feels like he shouldn't win it.