1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Bit-Tech F1 2016 Thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 29 Nov 2015.

1. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

I like him better now that the "Princess Stompyfoot" days are behind him, and I still rate him as a driver - I'd love to see him complete with the Mercs, especially whilst driving a McLaren.

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Look man, I've been an ALO fan for over a decade (jesus CHRIST I feel old now) but while he may have felt like crap at Ferrari, he is NOT having a fun time at the back of the grid. When the PR faces are off, you can tell with both him and Button. Well, at least when Button's radio isn't utterly garbled.

OTOH, it's a bit like the internet. If you have slow internet (aka Ferrari career, always nearly there but never enough) then it can be more maddening than having no internet (aka 2nd McL stint, so far off that you're basically in a little world of your own). So who knows. But I personally don't buy the "I'd rather trundle around without a chance in last place than without a chance in second place" line.

3. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

You're paraphrasing a little there. The inference I take from the quote is that, for whatever reason, his relationship with Ferrari was such that it wasn't ever going succeed, whereas now he feels genuine optimism at Mc.

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

To be fair, I'm paraphrasing based on other stuff he said, like when he said that second and last in the WDC meant the same thing to him. But there's no way he's happier in a P10 s**tbox than in a P2 one.

His issue with Ferrari was nothing to do with a relationship, it was based on the partnership's inability to secure a WDC or WCC. His personal relationship with the team was always great, albeit showing signs of growing strain toward the end. Also, it's telling that Ferrari allegedly released Alonso, not the other way round. While he did make clear his desire to leave, they didn't let him go until Vettel was firmly in their grasp, this triggering the bulk of the driver shuffle that year. If anything, Alonso had more "team spirit" that year than the administration -- he could've walked out or let McL just buy out the rest of his contract, but he chose to respect the team and its integrity by letting them line up a replacement.

5. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Think we can safely say Merc 1-2 for the foreseeable, on mediums they hold at least 0.5 seconds pace advantage. On the faster tyres its more than that.

1.23 dead on softs is only 0.2 seconds behind the ferrari on ultras.

Williams look like the team in 2nd place at the moment.

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I'm surprised (about Williams) with all the talk of how Ferrari leaped forward over the break. Has the Mercades Power Unit alone negated any of that or are they downplaying some on those fin upgrades

Last edited: 1 Mar 2016
  7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

Williams have always built cars with nice handling chassis and fantastically low drag, but low ultimate downforce.

This goes all the way back to the Adrian Newey cars of the 90s, it looks like this year they've deliberately traded in some of that ultra slipperiness for more aero grip. Given the power/reliability of the Merc engine and that even with poor low speed grip Williams have come third in the series twice it doesn't seem far fetched to see them gunning for second now.

We'll see what Ferrari and RB have to say about that.

8. javaman

Williams have always done well but the limited team budget they do fade and sometimes struggle. Don't forget 2011, 2012 and 2013 was a disaster for the team (Think McLaren current level of performance). 2008-2010 wasn't that steller either.
    I'm surprised they have made such leaps and not only caught Ferrari but potentially overtaken them. Like I said I'm wondering if Mercades Power unit is where the magic is at that the gains it made is greater than any car development done.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

10. fix-the-spade

11. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Merc look dominant is one thing to take out of testing so far. Even with more downforce to be only 0.3 seconds behind Williams on super softs is very interesting. ( they were 11kph down on yesterday's top speed )

Ferrari fans should be worried the engine troubles of there partners makes you wonder. As the partners are likely pushing the engine a lot harder than Ferrari have been.

The car also does not look quick, Williams are looking very strong. A glory run on ultras only has them at best tyre corrected 0.1 behind Williams.

Even if it's competitive by race 5-6 as was suggested both titles would surely be just about over by then.

12. javaman

13. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

That was for 2014

14. fix-the-spade

File that under L for LOL.

In the unlikely event that Mercedes replaced Rosberg with a Mclaren driver they'd take Button since at the moment he's both faster than Alonso and easier to live with.

If they don't keep Rosberg it's far more likely to see Werhlein, Sainz or Verstappen than either McHonda pilot.

15. fix-the-spade

As a side note.

Today Mclaren had the Day-Glo aero dye out. Woth a Bright Yellow splatter pattern on the nose and a bright Orange splatter pattern down the side pods the McHonda looked gorgeous, it needs to look like that all time.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It does look pretty funky... and anything's better than the sea of boring black cars...

[​IMG]

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That does look rather good. :D

18. fix-the-spade

Can't find a nice picture of the left hand side of the car, that was the better side.

19. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

Just found my new wallpaper! :thumb:

20. fix-the-spade