1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Bit-Tech Formula 1 2014 Thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 24 Nov 2013.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It has the potential to add a new and interesting twist. The front running drivers all fear a poor qualifying session lest they end up mid-grid on Sunday, and run the risk of being tagged by some reckless muppet.

With Pastor in a Lotus, that risk takes a significant leap up the grid. Although, you could argue PM will be filling in where Grosjean left off, when he grew up and started shown some talent.

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

3. RTT

RTT #parp

Shite move fomr Lotus but £30m, I can understand why they did it. Hopefully they'll take it up front, give him nowt in return and boot him at the end of the season :D

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Take the money, put all their efforts into Groj and take as many podiums as possible. Pasta will spend his time mid-grid taking penalties.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

There is also a slim chance lotus could force-feed him the same 'grow-the-****-up' that they fed to Grosjean... But no, I foresee Pasta being the same crash-happy nutter he always has been...

@Kov +rep for that... I dread to think just how hot those exhausts are getting...

Last edited: 2 Dec 2013
  6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No chance. He's hugely arrogant and believed he outgrew Williams as it is, but he's not better than Bottas.

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Pastor is annoying as all hell, and if it wasn't for the 30 mill, he'd have NOTHING. His comments towards Williams were not in line with sportsmanlike conduct. That alone makes him not suitable to hire imho.

I hope Hulk stays at Sauber now... please. I'd hate to see him take a step back, and I think Sauber is a better step than FIndia.

8. David

It's a done deal with Force India. Apparently, they shook hands on it ages ago but he had until the end of November before he had to sign.

Word is he tried to stay at Sauber, once the Quantum deal fell on it's arse, but they're so cash strapped they had to go with a pay driver - presumably Perez.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

well f***.
    Didn't know that.
    I will go and have more sad now...

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Hulk may go down as one of those drivers with bags of talent that just missed the boat through no fault of his own. Pay drivers (and runaway costs) are screwing this sport.

11. David

Indeed. The very money it so desperately needs in order to survive is going to choke it to death.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'm still surprised how much money is an issue and I believe it's just as much them having old business models with big money then I do with them trying to find people to spend it. There's plenty of people out there with cash: Samsung is dropping $18 Billion on advertising this year - yet no F1 team has a lick of Samsung money. They have many avenues of exposure too I don't believe they are monetizing. They want fewer big spenders rather than many small ones (potentially on rotation).

13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Yeah, I've often wondered why teams don't pick up relevant sponsor for each race.

For example, 99% of the brands being advertised on the cars aren't even widely available in India, yet there are literally hundreds of Indian companies that would happily pay for ad space in order to associate with Formula 1 during that one week of increasingly frenzied coverage the sport receives in the Subcontinent.

It's like these guys are building incredibly futuristic machines, but the folks in charge of cash are still functioning in the 1970s.

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

No no no, Give Pasta a special qualifying only engine with 200 extra horsepower, then tell him Seb's been looking at him funny.

Waltz off with Grosjean as world champion.

stonedsurd likes this.
  15. rollo

rollo Modder

Samsung and companies like them have little intrest in sponsorship unless they are the only sponsor in that car.

Only Ferrari could probably get a Samsung sponsorship deal in F1. The other 3 potential teams would likely not get close. They have Santander because of Alonso no other reason once he leaves they will leave with him.

Sponsoring a car in F1 has always been a risk if its a run away leader like vettel was its TV time is reduced which reduces the overall affect of your sponsorship.

Formula 1 has and always will be a sport for the rich even getting into a single seater racer is expensive for young children who might dream of 1 day driving a F1 car. Competitive go kart racing is aprox £20k a year ( Kart / Travel / Hotel bills ect) Not many people have that level of disposable income.

Unless you get a sponsor early like Lewis did with McLaren who paid all this costs from a young age its a extremely expensive sport to get into.

Look at Paul Di Resta has little to no sponsors and is basically screwed for a drive think if he had massively out performed the car he would still be struggling for a drive due to lack of places he could go.

Over half of the grid bring in significant cash for there teams. If your one of the ones that dont you need to be in one of the big teams who dont need the cash that you would bring in.

Theres effectively 10 none pay drivers in formula 1 at the moment, 2 Merc drivers, 2 red bulls/ 2 Torro roso, 2 ferrari, 2 McLaren. Unless one of the big teams is sponsoring your drive aka bianchi then you need to bring in cash.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Alonso is technically a pay-driver, his Santander sponsorship brings in more than his salary to Ferrari. (Not quite the same, I know)

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Maybe not quite the same, but the point stands.
    As Taki said - he considers himself one of the first Pay-drivers, since he did just that.

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

Pastor la vista, baby :D

Last edited: 2 Dec 2013
  19. David

Autosport:

Is Maldonado really that bad?

Yes. Yes he is.

His win was deserved, but it was the result of a perfect storm of conditions.

I know he's an arrogant git, so he probably doesn't give a damn, but I wonder if he knows just how unliked he is?

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team