1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware The bit-tech Hardware Awards 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 2 Jan 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

This is a website for computer hardware enthusiasts and gamers - I don't think overclocking needs to be explained further. Why spend £700 on a QX9770 when you can get at least 95% of the performance from an overclocked Q6600 that costs a lot less than £150. And if you stop at 3GHz, you probably won't need to increase your voltages.

It's not about showing off and breaking benchmark records, it's about getting something for nothing - the Q6600 still delivers that better than any other relatively high end Intel processor.

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I thought the criteria would be that the Q6600 has brought more smiles to the faces of enthusiasts than any other chip this year. Yes there's faster, more efficient and cheaper CPUs out there, but none of them have hit quite the same peak of cheapness and overclockability.
    (I've got a E8500 for the record).

And the Acer Aspire One, I've got one and love it, even the keyboard and mouse (I got used to it), but there's two other problems with it, the default battery is pretty limited, and the built in speakers are rubbish. I still love mine tho :)

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Pretty much. That and the sales have been through the roof for the longest part of 08. I don't have figures but every time we talked to online stores it was always "Q6600 is still our best seller".

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'm suprised the E5200 doesn't get a mention.

What's the performance difference between an E8400 and the E5200 clock for clock anyway?

5. Nature

Nature Member

The cooler master V8 should have been up there, no?

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We haven't tested it yet.

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

P180 not still king.....u sure?

8. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

No surprise to me that the Q6600 was the winner nor the Spinpoint F1. Ypu get a Q6600 with 'G0" stepping and you have a winner, best bang for buck IMO.

9. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org New Member

This kind of article really does make life easy for anyone looking to build a new rig, thanks Bit-Tech!

10. eXpander

eXpander New Member

It's funny how much dispute the choosing of Q6600 generated :) Never had one, and i think it's kinda too late to pick it up now. I`m still sticking with my E2140 :)
    Which, for the overclocking-nay-say`ers, is 100% overclocked, running at 3.2GHz (limited by RAM for now, unfortunately). With this, paired with a HD4670 and 2GB DDR2 800MHz i've hit 10.000 3DMarks in 3DMark2006, which is more than enough for my 17" CRT :D Normally my system gets about 6500 3DMarks, so that's great! Same thing applies to the Q6600. So why pay for a Q9xxx, when u can easily beat it?

The only thing I don't agree with is the TRUE. Yeah, I know, it's THE best air-cooler. Dunno about the rest, but availability here in Romania has been close to zero. I`ve looked for it all year long! I only saw it in stock 2 times the whole year, and unfortunately, were the 2 times I really didn't have money to buy it (spent money on some close friends' weddings)! I bought a Scythe Mine Rev. B, in January, which I gave to my father to silence the "chainsaw" on his P4 3GHz, and now I have a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer. Still, I`m so pissed I didn't get the TRUE...

If availability in the UK is good for this product, I totally agree with you, but if it's really rare, then it's a crap choice.

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

Nice read, Almost agree with all the choices BT made. But.. where is the Notebook of the year?

12. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

I'll 2nd the P182 for best case, I've been looking at new cases but haven't found anything that has made me want to change from the allmighty P182

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

We don't really review notebooks at quite the same length as netbooks... but if there had to be a notebook of the year, it'd be mine for all the abuse it's had and yet it still continues to work. :)

14. roadie

roadie New Member

Small typo in the motherboard section: "worked fantastic" isn't great English.

Fun article to read though.

15. Snuffles

Snuffles Dreamy Mammoth

+1 for the Q6600 - but where is the 750 silencer in the PSU awards??? Honestly it comes in three colours too!