1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The Black Dragon... almost complete... 56k unfriendly

Discussion in 'Modding' started by cderalow, 4 May 2002.

1. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

been workingon this for a while now... heavily modified Antec SX1030B... aka Chieftec Dragon...

Mods to date include:
    Vinyl dye front bezel
    Blue IDE & power LEDs
    Stealthed cd burner (working on getting blanking plates for DVD drive... might just vinyl dye it)
    Vinyl dyed floppy drive (and removed flap... annoyed me... stupid little spring)
    ATI Radeon with memory heatsinks & Evercool Blorb
    Rounded ATA100 & Floppy cables
    Mild cable management (will go extreme once I finish... if I finish)
    Vinyl dyed the fan mounts
    Painted inside & out black
    Blue LED treament to keyboard, vinyl dyed, 16x2 || LCD in keyboard
    Vinyl dyed mouse
    Top removed for top window
    Side off for custom side window
    Front 4 port USB hub (vinyl dyed)
    Got rheobus on its way, and have to make baybus for the 3 blue CCFLs i want to install (2 12", 1 4")

anyway... onto the piccies
    [​IMG]
    you can see digicam USB cord in the front
    [​IMG]
    cd drives out
    [​IMG]
    fans in their mounts with grills on... not wired up
    [​IMG]
    processor pride.... (bit-tech badge was there prior to painting... waiting on one to replace it)
    [​IMG]
    inside.. can see the memory coolers
    [​IMG]
    keyboard with hole in it waiting to have lcd remounted
    [​IMG]
    the radeon...

for other pics.. try http://users.wpi.edu/~cderalow/images/

Last edited: 6 Jun 2002
  2. BlackFlux

BlackFlux What's a Dremel?

cderalow, that case is sweet. I love the choice of color. You can't go wrong with black. Though you have to paint that CD drive. Nice mods all around!

3. dakar

dakar What's a Dremel?

Whew... most definately not 56K friendly at all... But oh well worth the wait!

Now i remember why i set up a caching proxy server, the pics will stay resident for months :D

4. stewe151

stewe151 Stress Personified

:eeek: Oh my god... that is WICKED!!!!!!!!!:eeek: i bow to your genius

/me bows

5. enfer_know

enfer_know What's a Dremel?

mmmmmm...........nice case man..........never thought of an lcd in the keyboard.....sounds sweet

6. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

comes in hand for when i'm playing games... i'm able to read system temps, and what winamp is doing... thanks for all of the positive feedback... makes me want to get my butt in gear and finish it now... (but i lack the spare time :sigh: )

7. Vectrex

Vectrex What's a Dremel?

Nice Job Man! I'm in the process of working on the same case, should be completed very soon. I like what you did with everything, looks like you did a nice job painting your cage (I painted mine white). I think after you either stealth or paint that one optical drive, you will be finished. Keep up the good work!

8. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

its bout time u gave pix...ive bin buggin ya on #bit to send pix but u wouldnt now their finally here
    muhauhaha
    and i must say its a l337 mofo case
    keep up the good work mang

9. Yammosk

Yammosk What's a Dremel?

Plz Get tell if a sticker says "remove safety tab" aint you surpose to do it

if you have a look at the radeon pic it has a yellow sticker

Overall nice mod

Defintly not 56Ker friendly but worth waiting for :)

Yammosk

10. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

dude that is one nice case. You could do what i have done to my silver dragon and get some neon string, take the front bezel off and mount it behind there. It looks really cool in the dark. Are the usb ports in the floppy bay a diy job because i am thinking of doing the same thing. Also how hard was it to change the leds to blue ones.

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I was just gonna mention that :lol:

12. vivid

vivid down in fraggle rock

thats a wikked stealthed drive, love the blue heatsinks too :D

13. Stew

Stew Disgruntled Postal Worker

Well it was friendly enough for my 56k ;)

A question about the vinyl dye, if you just used it on the front bezel, what pain did use on the sides? I was just going to vinyl dye the whole of my case as the metal side panels seem to have this coating of vinyl/plastic on them, Id like to know whatkind o paint you used as it seems to have a uniform finish with the vinyl dyed bits.

As for the heatsinks, what do you think of mine :dude:

[​IMG]

14. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

Nice Black Dragon! Very Clean.

I wanted to name my project Silver Dragon. Alas I did not buy the Soyo Dragon mobo, rather I bought an Asus A7V333-R. Guess i'll have to come up with a different name.

Black Dragon is fitting though for your rig as it looks mean indeed. I like the black insides.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

SWEET AS :D

16. ejmac

ejmac What's a Dremel?

The yellow tab is to be removed for AGP Pro cards only. If you have a regular AGP card you should keep the safety sticker on. Not that I know of an example of an AGP Pro card. I assume its for a workstation card like the quadro or something.

17. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

one thing to say :p said I'd get them up when I was done (this is actually early) but thanks

Tab reads: Remove Safety Tab If Installing AGP Pro Card... its not an AGP pro, so I left it... that and its a pain to get out anyway

They're the heatsinks from the TT Memory coolers cut to fit there... in stock form they won't fit because of capacitors, so I just dremeled them to size

Vinyl dye is to be used on plastics, from what I've heard it doesn't work too well on metal regardless of the finish... as far as how I painted the sides & the inside, I bought automotive paint & clearcoat in spray cans from Autozone.... and car parts store should carry the paint, sand it down, apply paint, let dry apply more paint as needed, then clearcoat, sand & clearcoat again... I technically haven't finished painting yet (only one clearcoat on it at the moment... but I needed it running, so I stopped)

18. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

I've got that beat:
    [​IMG]
    heatsink off an old Pentium
    going to be put on the old S3 Trio 32/64's core that acts as my second adapter for dual displays... thing gets warm, its pci, and its attatched to a crappy 15" monitor, but hey, dual display is dual display right?

19. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

lol, i remember them old green cyrix heatsinks.. think theres still on on my 486.. :)

anyway, nice work.. you dont see too many cases with the insides painted to match the exterior.. kudos on the keyboard lcd, very trick..

-scoob8000

20. IronFire

IronFire What's a Dremel?

I really like your finish and I have exacterly the same case. I thought I couldnt be bothred to paint it untill today when I put a luvly scratch right accros it after I had removed the protective masking tape for screw tightening :cries:

So my questons are :

Where can I get this vinly die from ?

How hard is the paint finish on the metal, will it peal off when I mask it again for more work ?

Thanks