1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The 'Brooxy is attempting to give up on smoking, and requires help' thread *UPDATED*

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 19 May 2009.

1. HereticXander

HereticXander What's a Dremel?

lol but who will scabb cigs of my old man if you stop smoking brook? XD

2. Slaughter

Slaughter What's a Dremel?

Well, my father stopped with help over an internet site he was smoking 4-5 packs a day of Marlboros Red, he did it with no patches at all, he just found a service online, I think it was an organisation and a doctor helped him over the internet and they never had any face to face conversations also doing everything that might be good for your body will take care of not thinking the cigs, my father actually lost weight and cut down on drinking! My grandfather so something to his dream and couldnt breath after all, he didnt tell us what he saw but the next day he quit without even thinking of it again... weird

I on the other hand have never tried cigs (only Hookah), its our family thing to love smoke but if I stay away from not putting it through my mouth I am ok. Most of my friends smoke and smoke a lot, most of the times I dont care nor do I have an urge to ask for one, and all that because I saw how hard my dad quit, it was an unbelievable effort from both our side and his.

On the other hand, drinking in normal dosage wont affect you, and maybe party a bit you wont get addicted or most people dont. Also, every cig does damage even if its small is not to easy to remove the tar out of your lungs believe when I say that. Drinking even if you drink a lot if you dont drink nothing for a period then the leaver will heal itself! I drink alcohol I am not gonna say that I am the perfect human being I have things that relax but thinking that a beer a day will make you alcohol is stupid, however a cig a day will become 2 cigs a day and 2 cigs a day will become 3 cigs a day and so on until the body can take enough nikotine as it pleases...

3. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

When I was referring to alcohol, I was highlighting the social and health impact it has here in the UK. Our A&E departments are filled every weekend with the after-effects of people just 'partying', we face alcohol related crimes (assaults, murders etc), youths are doing irrepairable damage to themselves due to binge drinking etc etc. But yet it's still cool to catch a few beers with your buddies at the weekend. Nothing wrong with that, but it seems that it has now become trendy amongst our youth to see how fast you can get steaming drunk on the crap they drink. That's when the problems start.

I used to work as a hospital porter some years ago, and I saw first hand the impact alcohol has on those who abuse it and those around them, and this was before the term 'binge drinking' was coined. I had to put up with being threatened, sometimes being assaulted, clean drunks puke off the floor, listen to the crap and generally not enjoy being at work due to people who thought it was a good idea to get so drunk that they ended up in A&E.

4. Slaughter

Slaughter What's a Dremel?

Well I have noticed that with people from UK, here in Greece laws are pretty lush about drinking and smoking, the latter have use impact. However, because laws are lush about drinking greeks actually become more careful and yes i do that with a couple of beers but as I have seen from greek islands you (from Uk) dont drink A COUPLE of beers you drink at rate that you puke or loose control, thats your goverments fault not alcohols, cigarettes on the other hand contain nikotine with which you become addictive and cant stop, something that drinking doesnt do in NORMAL dosage...

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Apparently the Mk.3 was a bit too flabby to be really fun, the Mk.2 is where it's at. Persevere and you'll find one, I'm sure. :D

6. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

*Holy thread revival*

I thought I'd bump the thread, just to let you all know what's going on.

My initial plan of gradually cutting down and stopping in October kind of fell apart. By September I was smoking...lots again - the same as or possibly more than before. So plans changed. I just stopped.

Surprisingly it's worked. The first 3 days could be approximated to a part of hell - felt really drained - almost ill. After that though it's been going really well. Also not used any patches, gum, nicotine substitute ETC.

Also money is already being saved as a consequence, so as soon as I get my NCB on my current can (June next year), I'll be in the market for a new one. It's going to be a MK2/3 Golf OR a diesel 306 hatchback. Whatever is around at the time.

Fisher. likes this.
  7. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

Cheers to you , sir!

I've got a number of friends trying the same thing now, as they've just raised the cig tax one whole dollar, meaning any halfways decent brand is now around $7-8 per pack.

I just never started in the first place, but I was certainly the exception in my group.

8. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Hi Brooxy,

Yeah, the only way it works is to stop completely, throw your remaining cigarettes in the bin, throw away your lighters and get rid of the ashtrays around the house.

I quit my 20 a day habit by just stopping completely in July '07. I had one cigarette on the way to work and then threw the rest of the pack away. I'd been mentally preparing to stop for about six months up to that point, I had been a smoker for around three or four years.

It's true what they say about being in a foul mood, I was really grumpy and downright rude to people (unintentionally)! This lasted about a week and then I started to mellow out again.

It gets a LOT easier after the first three or four days. Also, for encouragement, I recommend you join Quitnet. It's a free site that tracks when you gave up, how much money you saved and perhaps most disturbingly, how many cigarettes you have not smoked. They send you regular email updates at important milestones. eg. one day, three days and one week.

My Quitnet Stats:

Your Quit Date is: 12/7/2007 4:00:00 PM
    Time Smoke-Free: 824 days, 20 hours, 33 minutes and 17 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 16497
    Lifetime Saved: 4 months, 6 days
    Money Saved: £4,620.00

Cigarettes not smoked, sixteen thousand?!?! That's fricking disgusting!

IMPORTANT - DON'T GIVE IN TO TEMPTATION! Especially true when out for a drink. If you have one cigarette in a moment of weakness, all that hard work is hindered and you'll have to flush the nicotine out of your system and start again.

Best of luck, it's easy once you get over the first week and you'll be much happier for the easier breathing, stink-free clothes and the massive wedge of cash still in your wallet at the end of the month!

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I stopped smoking about a week and a half ago. Cold turkey.
    Reason for that was mainly Gaming. I realised that with my packet and a half a day habbit, i couldn't afford the cool games coming out this year still... nevermind the other stuff one needs money for (moar tatts, paintball, wanna pick up karting eventually).
    So i quit. Cold turkey. Just gave my cigs to the missus, and said - there... i quit.
    Strangely, my trip has been rather pleasant (been smoking for the last 10 years, for the record). First 3 days were jones-y... i was lusting after a cig at all times... but i tell myself "no...". Has worked so far.
    The missus still smokes in the house and in the car - doesn't bother me... i get a slight twinge when i go for a drink and am surrounded by smokers, but other than that my trip so far has been very pleasant.
    I keep noticing how i am less wheezy after running up stairs, how i have less hayfever, and how much more work i get done.
    Mind, at this point in time i am in a very positive place mentally at any rate... which i am sure helps... :)
    G'luck to all the other quitters!

10. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

good luck mate.

I was told this by a GP, I assume it's true.

After 3~5 days the receptors that get used to nicotine start to stop working.
    If you can crack 3~5 days the craving will start to go away.
    If you use nicotine patches it will keep the receptors going.

Cold turkey IS the best method for quitting.

If you crack 5 days you've done it

BUT>>>>>>

You've Got to watch out for habit.
    You do certain routines and smoke fits into them, so having a smoke seems right.

For example getting up and having a smoke with your morning coffee.

you've done it for years and created a mental link

I found it helpfull to change the routines that I had linked (consciously and unconsciously) to smoking.

2 points to bare in mind.
    like an alcoholic, smoking just 1 will fire up the receptors and habits.
    Avoid it as best you can.

for trying to quit...
    Ever noticed how ciggies are sold?
    Packs of 10 or 20.
    When you're craving a cigarette, do you think "I could murder a pack of cigarettes!" or do you think "I could murder A cigarette!"
    You buy 20, to smoke 1
    And then you've got 19 smokes in your pocket. It's not like your going to bin the buggers is it.
    So you smoke them, firing up the receptors, feeding the addiction.

If your going to be weak and smoke.
    DONT buy a pack, you'll smoke a pack.

beg, borrow, scrounge, barter for 1 ciggarette at a time.
    It slows down your smoking so the receptors dont feed the addiction as much.
    AND
    you'r not sat there with 19 tempting smokes in your pocket.

I'm lucky, I have really big stubborn streak
    I decided I would not let me life be ruled by an addiction to a pointless plant.
    job done.

Good luck mate.

mvagusta and BentAnat like this.
  11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

^^ Same. Extremely stubborn here as well... if i put something in my head, i don't stop untill i've done it.
    What i do, though, is expose myself to difficult smoking scenarios on purpose, consciously breaking the habbit.
    For example i stand outside with the smoking bandmembers of mine DELIBERATELY and have a beer with them. I know i want a cigarette then, but do it in a prepared manner, so that i break the habbit with time.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2009
    mvagusta likes this.
  12. quietguy

quietguy D'orc

I quit cold turkey 8 1/2 years ago. Cigs were ~$5/pk when I quit. $5 x 2pks/day x 365.25 days/year x 8.5 years = $31,046.25 saved so far.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2009
  13. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I had my last one Friday night.

2 observations so far.

a) Rage. Pure, unadulterated Rage. All the time.
    b) Hunger. I had problems kicking my appetite into touch when I did smoke. Now it's just instatiable.

How are you getting on, Brooxy?

14. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Not too bad - I think since the start of October I've had two. Considering that's in two months, I think that's pretty good all things considered.

The rage passes pretty quick - then it's the occasional twinges that catch you at no particular time that become the problem...

Good luck with quitting, although hopefully you won't need it :)

15. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Two thoughts crossed my mind.

A) Raaaaggeee quitting the server after letting cigarettes know what you think of their parents via mic chat.

A+B) Stay where you are. You are not infected and should not panic. Do not attempt to contact neighbours, friends or family. A CEDA containment team will be along shortly to terminate/contain/free trip to Disneyland (delete as applicable.)

16. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

well done Brooxy!

I gave up in August (cold turkey too) and yes the first week was hell... but once you get past that it becomes a lot easier. The only real temptation is when I'm out drinking and the people I'm with go out in a group to smoke.

Hang in there Badders, it will get better. As far as the appetite goestry eating little amounts often throughout the day, also chewing gum (just regular sugar free) helped me for the first month...

Last edited: 7 Dec 2009
    mvagusta likes this.
  17. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Chewing gum, and having other stuff like cough lollies helped me replace the habit of smoking, with just putting something else in my mouth, without having to resort to food so putting on weight was not a problem.
    These things tasted lots better than a cigarette, so they instantly killed the cravings, and although i went through heaps of them in the first week, they are loads cheaper than ciggies, I didn't need that many after a week, and so on :thumb:

Oh, and buy whatever the hell car you want to buy, who cares if there is something else which can go a tad faster, especially when it's an older and uglier version :hehe: You can mod the prettier one if you need more power :dremel:

Well, all this ranting makes me feel like having a cigarette cough lolly.

18. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

I quit cold turkey too. The hunger started 2 weeks later, and lasted for months. Then i found out it wasn't really hunger but i was eating all the time because everything tasted so much better. Apart from coffee. I can't enjoy coffee since i stopped smoking.

19. sesterfield

sesterfield What's a Dremel?

You know you want the mk2 :D

20. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

Keep up the good work on stopping folks.
    Once you crack 5 days it just habbit.

Just dont get pissed with all your smoking mates, they'll make 'ya.