1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

My neighbours have had their parents, their kids grand parents, over every single day of this lockdown. Without fail.

A section of every society is ****ing stupid.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Verily.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Pete outstandingly dumb question #348:

So, am I allowed to go stay round at my parents' at the weekend meow? Or are we still adhering to the one day visit policy?

Like Dom Cummings...

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

What I took from it was that you can nip through the house to get to their garden, but no more. So at the most you could sleep in a tent and come in to use the toilet, like Witty said, but you have to wipe everything down.

But even that wasn't what was being said at first, just what came out in the questions. Which highlights that even after all this time they still can't put the information across clearly.

Within the spirit of things, no, of course you can't stay.

Pete J likes this.
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Trying saying that when you're sober.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So, here's a question I have mostly because I can't be faffed, and value my blood pressure too much, to read the actual letter: they're limiting the number of people attending to 50 and preventing remote working, right? And that's a problem, 'cos now instead of 600-some people voting on "Let's give Dom Cummings a crown" it's 50...

...but is it first-come first-served? In other words, could a bunch of non-Tory MPs camp out overnight and be the first 50 in the Chamber, and all vote "no, and also we table an amendment that says Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is a raw bawbag"?

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'd put money on it ending up being "nominated" representatives that get picked by Borisummings.

That then gets challenged legally, drags on forever, and ultimately results in some people having permanently affected blood pressures, but not much else.

8. oscy

oscy Modder

It's stupid but there are several answers: the guidelines, the actual law, and how it's enforced.

So for example before yesterday, one guideline was you could meet another person outside if you stay 2m apart, but the 2m part didn't actuall exist in the written law and police said they won't enforce it. Also, they revealed after Cummings that they don't take retrospective action. Thus effectively you can do whatever you want as long as you're not caught in the act (and even if you are, you'll just be asked nicely to move along).

Boris said people can't stay overnight in a tent, but that came across as something he just blurted out. Also officially this doesn't start on Monday, but what difference does it make?

Keep an eye on this page: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6

It'll update with the changes presumably soon, then you'll know to the letter what the real rules are.

But, from the above, I think it's safe to assume the actual law will be a maximum of 6 people can meet up outside in public or private spaces, but going indoors is allowed "with good reason", and still no social distancing required.

Last edited: 29 May 2020
    Pete J likes this.
  9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

adidan likes this.
  10. oscy

oscy Modder

11. Gareth Halfacree

We're *always* being pedantic! (Didn't read past the headline, I was just DuckDuckGoing for the number of fines - good catch!)

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

adidan and edzieba like this.
  13. Nexxo

Meanwhile, in 'Murrica...

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Considering his handling of that other thing going on leaving the WHO doesn't even qualify as a fraction of peanuts.

15. adidan

The science says too soon, the Tories say not.

FT graphs show a spike around VE Day when the press were banging on about ending lockdown.

Strap in everyone, it may get busy for while the MPs are off on their jollies.

Edit: In other news, Joe Public appear to think it's all over going by our neighbours. One had their grandkids running around and next door had a friend over yesterday. Awesome :thumb:

16. Nexxo

Well, I can tell you that NHS staff are exhausted. They gave it their all, they are relieved that things have died down to manageable levels, and although they feel psychologically better prepared, they are not sure that they have the energy left to deal with a second wave. But everybody is expecting one. So there's that.

(There's a reason why we're sending everyone on annual leave right now: to rest and recharge as much as possible while we can.)

17. adidan

The unenforceable 14 day tourist quarantine was just another 'look what we're doing' soundbite then - scrapped 9 days before rollout.

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

sauce?

[though it's 100% the kind of dumb **** HMG would do]

20. adidan

My bad, my reading was brief and I think it's more they're being told to. By whom who knows? MPs? Anybody who thinks it's an impossible pipe dream and won't include anybody via France? Somebody with vested interests?

Hard to tell these days. Bit odd the suggestion now rather than at the start or during the peak.

But yeah, one of those rare times I quickly read something and believe it as it read - inundated with so much constant dross something was going to slip through.