1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

In the words of my NHS good lady: "i'd prefer them not to waste money on shite like this".

Arboreal and stuartpb like this.
  2. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Been reading some Covid news. Belgium at risk of being overwhelmed, Wales going into lockdown, everything and everywhere else not looking good at all. Then I came across this and it left me wondering how in the hell this orange gimp has managed to ever become president and how in the hell he hasn't been impeached for the sheer stupidity he exudes and the downright dangerous crap he has continuously spouted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-54393460

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Don't worry about us, it's only for a little over 2 weeks and it gives time to improve the track & trace system (which is already working pretty well here). Just stay the f- out of Wales and stop coming here on holiday from high-incidence parts of England please :thumb: :grin:

In all seriousness, I'm not allowed to drive ~25 miles to go see my mam (Cardiff was already under local restrictions) but people could drive hundreds of miles from tier 3 areas of England to go stay in Pembrokeshire. I thought we were all in this together...?

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

[​IMG]

Byron C and ElThomsono like this.
  5. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

My mates and I were eyeing up another Snowdon hike this year, that's looking more and more distant now. :-/

We're currently tier two but hospital admission rates are alarmingly rising so I'm expecting Tier 3 anytime soon. I've told my kids, they will have a hell of a story to tell their grandkids in the future, the lockdown of 2020.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

8. RedFlames

...and people wonder how the EU negotiations went titsup when they couldn't even reach a deal with Manchester....

MLyons likes this.
  9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

10. Risky

Risky Modder

Burnham supports Sir Kier's proposal to put the entire country into lockdown. But less so his own city it seems.

I live in Cornwall. I can see no reason for my business to be shut down at this time. We had to borrow a heck of a lot of money to get through the last one

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

While I'm personally in favour of handling lockdowns on a more level I can see where Burnham is coming from...

Put simply: If Boris locked the whole country down then Westminster wouldn't have been able to fight against providing financial support as anything short of turning the money taps on full would be catastrophic in the event of 2nd national lockdown.

12. RedFlames

Last edited: 20 Oct 2020
  13. Risky

Risky Modder

Well yes creating even more economic damage would mean they would have to open the taps and pay people not to work again.....

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Very big of Boris to tell Burnham his intentions through the press. I assume a phone call was too much like face to face?

I expect another national lockdown to be coming between now and christmas. It's arrived in Wales, it's arrived in Northern Ireland, we're following the same pattern as March and Boris is heading towards another fait accompli. But just like March he will do anything to avoid taking that decision (or any other decision) and we will all get stuck in lockdown for longer than we needed to if he'd taken his brave pills and announced two or three weeks of it through the middle of this month.

The idea of enforcing local lockdowns only works if they're consistent and actually enforced. Despite all this business with Manchester it's pretty clear that neither is happening. I'm not looking forwards t oit, even though work for an optician and we wer enever closed takings for this year are half what they were last year. I'm not especially sure my job will exist next year if another lockdown rolls around and it's more than a couple of weeks.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Which creates a huge problem with the idea of local lockdowns, because the central government has given itself the authority to ban people from working without providing sufficient support and since it is only local they can get away with it.

Of course in an ideal world Westminster / No 10 could just stop being cun*s, but since that isn't going to happen the demand for a national lockdown does make some sense as they couldn't get away with pulling the same despicable crap against the whole nation.

MLyons likes this.
  16. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

National lockdown announced this weekend or next, so that 1 week coincides with school half-terms...

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Or they'll put all of England into Tier 3 and claim that isn't a National lockdown because they don't want another one of those.

Six of one...

18. RedFlames

Like everything else whatever they will probably come a week after Scotland does it, and a month too late to be of any tangible use. [And possibly used as a distraction from an impending scandal]

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Was quickly scanning a New Scientist from 2003 after lunch, and...

upload_2020-10-21_13-50-0.png

Well, yes.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator