1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My office is roughly half of the master bedroom. (It was its own room, but the birth of a second child put paid to that.) It's been that way for five years now, and while it's maybe a little cramped I manage.

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I have a good office at home as I have worked from home quite a bit with the odd days in the office, last year I took a less good local job because I was managing a team but never really felt part of one when you're the only remote guy, so went back to office based locally, with the side quest of sorting out my fitness using the time I gained back from change in job role and less of my life sapped up in zoom calls to team etc to go to gym.....that's worked out really well for me this year, I have been at home in zoom calls more than ever :wallbash: I could have just kept raking in the coin and benefits at the last place rather than the massive package cut to do what I am doing now:grin:

Missus is also WFH was setup in the kitchen but with her company not looking to go back until mid next year we have taken back the kids play room so we can have the kitchen diner back.

Its not all bad, on the plus side, I am getting more time with my family, I've bought one tank of fuel since march/apr when I used to spend a few hundred a month going to sites, Also, we are both fortunate not to have this effect our jobs yet besides the WFH inconvenience, it could be much worse.

On the negative, I am getting more time with my family :eeek::grin:and too much easy access to food and I have no will power :grin:

3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I've been working from home for over a decade now, started at 2 days, negotiated it up to 3 days when I went a little mad, and now it's a full 4 days a week and likely to stay that way for some time I reckon.

We've always had 3 bedroom houses so I can use the 3rd bedroom as office / man cave / gaming room, OK it grates a bit retiring to the same room for a bit of warzone after you've been shut in it for 8 odd hours working, but having my own space to work n play is a godsend.

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have just spent £1k on stuff to upgrade my "Home Office/Gaming Setup" which is just my bedroom, and I still need to spend some more but it's going to have to wait till the end of this month.

Dual Monitor Arm
    2nd Monitor which is a Acer 32" 1440p as it's also going to be used for my 2nd pc which I use for recording videos and soon livestreaming, I have a 32" Acer Predator monitor already which is why I went for another because it should look better when both are next to each other.
    43" LG 4K TV which will be mounted on the wall near my desk so during the day I can either put Plex, Prime or YouTube on
    Elgato Pop Up Green Screen
    2 Shelves
    New Display Port and HDMI Cables
    New 3.5mm audio cable for between the pc's
    New little 5" screen that will go inside a case eventually and sit on my desk showing PC usage stats
    USB-C to Dual HDMI adaptor, as I am not buying the docking station for my work laptop as it's over £150 and work will not provide them as they have none for my laptop
    20M of Electrical cable
    2x Dual Plug Sockets
    Drill, with Drill Bit's as I have never owned one as I have always just borrowed one but thought it was time to buy one
    Finally getting round to putting up a curtain rail, currently just have a curtain stapled (yes stapled) in the middle of my window
    New Black Out curtains
    New LED Bulbs for my light as currently it has Halogen Bulbs and I have had to remove all but 1 of them because if I have the 4 in that should be in, I feel the top of my head burning from the heat from them
    Around Half of the cable management stuff that's needed
    Paint as the room needs painting

Still need to buy
    The rest of the cable management stuff
    Either 2 of the Elgato Key Light's or something similar

Still Deciding on
    Ikea Alex Drawers with Karlby top
    New Mic probably a Shure or something
    Possibly a Go XLR Mini
    New camera not sure on what type yet, have a logitech c920 now and also a Canon 1200D (no mains power)
    Amp and speakers

I have been working from home for over a year now 5 - 7 days a week, and was planning on doing a lot of this sooner but due to work load I have never been able to get it done.

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oddly enough, I'm just about to start doing some stream tests... :grin:

Might I suggest a few things...

If you're happy to part with the cash then go for it, but I'd highly recommend looking at some of the more budget brands. It depends on how big an area you're trying to illuminate, but standard 'sitting at a desk in front of a monitor and streaming' type stuff is pretty easy. As long as you can change the color temperature (which the vast majority should allow) then they're all much of a muchness really. Neewer are a pretty budget-oriented brand that still have a good reputation.

I don't know how the 1200D would fare with something like the Elgato Cam Link, but the C920 you have is still an extremely capable webcam for streaming. It's only 30FPS, but honestly if you're just using it for the standard 'talking head in the corner' type video then you really don't need 4K60 cameras. I'd highly recommend trying the C920 with some good quality lighting before you decide whether you need to upgrade.

Plus it is still a really bad time to be buying a webcam! Cheapest I saw the C920 - in stock! - is around £120... I bought mine from Amazon on Black Friday last year for a fraction of that:

upload_2020-11-2_19-3-1.png

6. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Bloody hell. Paid £50 for mine, that's pocket change.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I know, right?! It was an insane price... But a few short months after I bought it we had a global pandemic and suddenly everyone with a computer was on Zoom calls.

8. Risky

Risky Modder

I'm not sure what to make of this mess up but follow this sequence at my daughter's school

Thu 22nd 10pm email to say a teacher has tested positive and school is closed on Friday as a precaution
    Fri 23rd 2pm email to say my daughter (who is in that teacher's class) should self isolate until Thursday 29th (during half term) as advised to school by PHE
    Sun 1st 6pm email to PHE have changed their guidance and now saying she must self-isolate until Thursday 5th
    Mon 2nd 12pm email to say PHE have changed advice again and she should return asap, ideally that afternoon.
    Today - further email with letter from PHE saing they ahd made an error and at no time had the school changed the facts advised to them.....

Also I asked herin the middle of this if teachers were staying 2m away from the pupils and not circulating the room in the normal way and she said that hadn't changed. I had thought the teachers were meant to keep distance form the pupils who are in year bubbles.

9. oscy

oscy Modder

According to a poll I made with 116 votes:

- 6 in 10 people will follow household mixing rules including if it's extended (but this includes people who don't / won't see anyone anyway)

- However, 1 of those will make Christmas an exception if it's extended that long.

- 7% will avoid mixing even after they say it's ok (but this includes people who don't / won't see anyone anyway).

- 3 in 10 people will follow government advice and "use common sense" by ignoring government advice and applying that sense to who they should see and how often.

- Politicians will be directly responsible for at least 1 in 20 people ignoring the rules due to their only blazé attitude toward them on trains and at castles, for example.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I feel seen. Ironically enough.

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Link please, so we can see the questions and where you asked them.

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

AFAIK the advice for a while has been to self-isolate for 2 weeks, not 1 week.

But I'm in Wales and it's PHW here... Although I don't think that guidance is different...

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Whoops, meant to include this in my last post...

Influenza, no matter which variant, is not a coronavirus. Pedantry aside..... nah fam, **** that ****, we've got enough to deal with, thanks!

adidan likes this.
  15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Not pedantry, a correct correction.

Had been reading on SARS and then that article popped up - throw in a mind fungle and a mistake was born.

Happy to be corrected :happy:

Byron C likes this.
  16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Just had a couple of days off, and I'm back to work tomorrow for a whole day before we close for Lockdown 2.0

**sigh**

17. oscy

oscy Modder

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

19. Risky

Risky Modder

The thing is it was PHE that changed their guidance to the same school back and forth from the same information provided.

20. oscy

oscy Modder

The options were pretty much what I wrote plus a few more that didn't get more than 2 votes.