1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I know what you mean.

It's just unlike, for example, another island Australia we have never fully closed our borders nor have we sent anybody arriving to quarantine hotels. Hell Sydney is going crazy right now because they've had 17 cases. That's cases!

Anyway, I just hope the increased infectiousness of this new strain comes hand in hand with a reduction in its virulence.

ModSquid likes this.
  3. oscy

oscy Modder

I read someone upset that they hadn't seen their boyfriend since March becauses cases are currently at a whopping 1.9 per 100k... don't know where she was from.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Well the Scotland changes have ruined what little plans we had (seeing my brother and his gf for some board games)

Guess time to try and look into online board game options.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Aye it's all relative isn't it.

I mean one or two plane fulls of deaths a day here is just mentioned in a matteroffact way over here.

Meanwhile we get photos from our friends in NZ who have taken their kids out to live shows.

Anyway, crossing my fingers we'll be able to do something fun by next summer.

6. oscy

oscy Modder

[​IMG]
    Also to be announced:
    Tier 11 - Spinal tap concert
    Tier 69 - Nice
    Two fat ladies - tier 88
    Leader of opposition - Sir Tier Starmer

Last edited: 19 Dec 2020
    adidan likes this.
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Tabletop Simulator + Steam Workshop.

8. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I think the issue many have had with the rules is their inconsistency. We know that the virus transmits best in enclosed areas where the occupants spend an extended period of time. The MP's argument yesterday that the "Christmas party" he attended (as it was advertised on the function's website), was in fact a "business meeting" (and therefore allowed under the rules as there were "only" 27 attendees), is the perfect example of how utterly nonsensical the rules are; unless you realise the weighting the government has given to "money" vs "human lives".

Since March there should have been a cultural pivot, that being in an indoor space with people outside your household was an anathema to be avoided at all costs. The government has seemingly attempted a circumstances approach when a principled one was required; principles are much easier to communicate to the public and can remain clear (e.g. being indoors with strangers is bad) but to say that you are allowed to meet with 29 strangers if it's business but not if it's pleasure is a contemptible joke. I see now that Tier 4 can't even leave the country unless it's for business? Which in itself feels a little ultra vires; if that was in the US there would be civil war.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Last edited: 19 Dec 2020
  10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Meh, makes little to no difference to me & mine, we decided weeks ago to do Xmas alone and cancel all the usual visitors and trips to family.

11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Not quite "board" but "keep talking and nobody explodes" is always a winner.
    What are you saying here - travel ban is not right, or no travel should be allowed?

12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Exactly. There have only ever been three options since March:
    A) the right and sensible option based on circumstances and personal specifics
    B) the legal option
    C) what you feel like doing regardless of A or B

Sadly, most people have been and will continue to choose C.

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

S'why I can't get behind or understand 90% of the 'government F'ed up' threads, replies and posts all over the internet

For sure they've handled it very poorly, and I doubt any of the opposition could do any better, but the great unwashed have to take their fair share of the blame for where we find ourselves.
    It's not rocket surgery, wash your hands and avoid everyone like, well erm, the plague, where you must interact with the wider society wear a mask and stay as far away as possible.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

When the prime minister is on TV bragging about shaking hands with COVID-19 patients in hospital then people don't take the risk seriously.

When senior government advisers and ministers break the lockdown restrictions without repercussions or even apologies then people stop taking the restrictions seriously.

Serious lack of leadership in our "leaders" lately.

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I get that, I really do, but only to a point.
    If Boris or Keir or Ed or Liz etc etc came on the idiot box tomorrow as a newly elected leader of the country and told us all to go jump off a cliff they would have exactly zero uptake, so why are so many still unable to take responsibility for their own actions, why can they not see that they need to look after themselves, their family and their community?

There are enough olde worlde sayings in use that we still pay heed to, '2 wrongs don't make a right' , 'let he without sin cast the first stone' , 'those that live in glass houses' etc etc etc etc. so why do they need to be set an example by a bunch of ass clown self serving politicians?

I really struggle to grasp why everyone is whinging about being confused, or moaning about politicians incompetence.
    In every other aspect of our lives (I might only be speaking for myself here) we shun the government, the leaders, the police etc. we try and grab as many freedoms and as much autonomy as we can, let's stick with that, take responsibility for our own actions, and bloody well get on with getting on.

16. oscy

oscy Modder

If the government had given the right advice and been consistent, they would be able to get people to make sacrifices (as they did March - June) for the good. That's an important tool in stopping harm.

I'd rather we be following the expert advice of informed leaders and being informed myself. I'd rather get a diagnosis from a qualified doctor and repairs from a mechanic than rely on strangers that voted no to AV because of a poster of a baby and writing '1' instead of 'x' being too complicated, and Brexit because of foreigners and because they're 'bored now of Brexit'.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2020
  17. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

This

Also inability of the police to enforce anything properly even among the General public

i travelled through Birmingham new street Station a few weeks ago, and i swear if i had been able to give anyone not wearing a mask ( or wearing on incorrectly ), a fine, id have made a FORTUNE
    and on my train were a bunch of upper class 20 somethings, all off to a party, who took off all their face coverings to apply makeup, then proceed to rant about how they hate masks as it ruins the ''foundation'' ( i think thats what they said, im not a makeup expert and i was only half paying attention ) , But one of them said what if the police stop the party again (key word on the AGAIN ) , and one of them turned around and basically said shes been to dozens of parties and the police dont do anything, they only fine the organiser

which means all the hard work to limit the spread done by people who stay at home, only go out if they have to, dont mix households, etc etc etc get to watch all their hard work undone because of some idiots.

18. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Totally agree. Our lot have been doing this since March.

The problem is this:
    And in some part the schools staying open. The train anecdote however, sums up much of the mentality and the demographic.

If you get time, have a look on the news for the pictures of London last night, as everyone was piling out to leave before the restrictions at midnight. If that's not increasing your chances of you taking it someplace else, then I'm missing something.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

What also doesn't help is constantly changing what the restrictions mean, and governments in all 4 countries of the UK are guilty of doing this. I give the Senedd a lot of credit for the way they've handled the situation in Wales, but boy does their messaging suck...

Like announcing a ban on selling non-essential goods during the fire-break on a Thursday afternoon... when the fire-break is due to kick in on the very next day.
    Like changing the rules on the number of households that can meet over Christmas from three down to two. Oh but wait, single adult households don't count towards that.
    And now, most recently, moving Wales' lockdown forward to kick in from today and restricting multiple households to meeting only on Christmas day...

Me and the other half haven't really changed our behaviour since early March this year; the only place we ever go out to is either a supermarket or occasionally to the office. If we visit any other people it's either her mother or my mother and brother (both live in the same house). All we were ever going to do at Christmas is see her mother for a couple of hours on Christmas day and see my mother and brother for a couple of hours on either Christmas day or Boxing day. Her mother lives on her own and has trouble with her knees, she doesn't go out all that much at the moment. My mother still struggles with Christmas because nearly four years ago my father died shortly after Christmas. I know that the best thing to do is not to see anyone at all, and I know damn well that a couple of hours is all it takes, but our parents need our support; Christmas doesn't mean anything to us, but it means something to them.

adidan likes this.
  20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It was actually quite embarrassing, as a human being, to watch that.