1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Apparently it's real, but do note my correction to the contents: that's tomato soup powder in the coin bag, not tuna.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Hat Mancock is, sadly, a real person and not a comedy persona.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Report the company to trading standards for supplying foodstuffs in materials which have not been certified as being safe for food use.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

6. walle

walle Minimodder

I hope she makes it, but what ever happens I hope she can look back at a life well spent and a trip that brought her more joy than misery.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

She's doing ok, that's about as much as I know at this point...

Arboreal likes this.
  8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

What an utter scumbag, and useless to boot; all he had to do was trot out the line that he believed it was better handled at a local government level so he opposed the national government bill.

Again, I dislike Morgan but fair play to him for pinning Hancock down.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The Right Honourable Grant "Wait, Which Fake Name Was I Using Today" Shapps MP has confirmed that we're finally going to require proof of a negative COVID-19 test for airline passengers departing for the UK.

From Monday. Not from now. Or, indeed, eight or so months ago.

Meanwhile, official government data has 1,564 COVID-19 deaths - specified, as always, as "deaths within 28 days of a positive test" - yesterday. To put that into perspective, 1,503 people died when the RMS Titanic sank. That brings us up to 89,243 deaths by the same standard. I saw an article claiming "excess deaths" - i.e. deaths above the average number of deaths for the same period in prior years - is now over 100,000, but I can't find it again so take that last number with an appropriate pinch of salt.

10. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

As was pointed out somewhere earlier in the week, to get a handle on the number of deaths, think of the Olympic stadium at full capacity; all gone.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah that just caught my eye, particularly the bit about giving time to prepare. Ya know, business and all that.

I mean this should have been done months ago, they've had time.

Edit: 100k dead. So that's about the population of Carlisle, Durham, Lincoln, Bath.... Take your pick...

12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Sounds bad, and it is, but still less than preventable deaths from 2018, although the figures are for the whole of the UK;
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...tins/avoidablemortalityinenglandandwales/2018

So way back in the mists of the good old days when we could meet, hug, party, laugh, breath clean air and enjoy ourselves we as a country allowed more than 100,000 people to die unnecessarily.

God I miss hugging people, I never thought I would say that, as a miserable ******* loner I never appreciated those times,

13. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

My best friend's mum (80 something), fell over and broke her ankle, whilst in hospital she caught the virus. After three weeks she is now testing negative. (My friend has now moved her in so he can look after her)

All this to say nothing is certain and there is still hope mate, so I really hope your MIL has a similar story in the end.

Arboreal likes this.
  14. Gareth Halfacree

You're comparing two things that can't be compared: "preventable deaths" and "excess deaths". "Preventable deaths" are pretty stable: 141,313 in 2017, 141,101 in 2016. "Excess deaths" are deaths above and beyond previously-recorded figures.

In other words, we're looking at 100,000 additional deaths on top of a likely 130,000+ "preventable deaths."

(Actual figures may differ, 'cos being in lockdown likely means several preventable deaths from things like air pollution and road traffic incidents were actually prevented - though preventable deaths from things like not seeking medical attention 'cos you don't want to walk into the plague pit that is A&E may be up. The core point stands, though.)

Byron C likes this.
  15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

So that shows how bad this is I guess, even with all the restrictions got over 100k, guessing it would have blown that other figure out of the water without them.

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah.. but those preventable deaths are probably going to be 'as well as' the city of dead people courtesy of covid. Perhaps lowered because it's harder to have a preventable death when you can't really leave your house, but..

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I'm aware, and to be honest I have no idea where I was going with it.
    This Covid is a **** storm, it's been handled very badly, although I'm not convinced anyone from the current crop of candidates would have done much better.

I'm just sick and ****ing tired of it all, and when I read that we routinely allow over 100,000 drop off this mortal coil through choice, laziness, inaction, poor management or whatever I can't but help to think **** it, why bother, we're a destructive race of insignificant cells clumped together in neat bags of skin.
    Let's hasten our rush to the inevitable end and enjoy ourselves, we're here for a good time not a long time.

adidan likes this.
  18. Gareth Halfacree

Hah - fair play!

In other news, vaccines that have been removed from cold storage and are approaching the end of their shelf life are being used to give key workers their second doses ahead of schedule to prevent wastage and ensure their protection as early as possible. No, wait, the other thing: they're being thrown in the bin, for some reason.

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That could be my signature. :thumb:

Rabbit hole avoidance is still a skill i'm trying to grasp.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Bins are quicker, duh.

NHS efficiency in action!