1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

2. Risky

Risky Modder

3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

[​IMG]

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I wonder why they added the extra bit about below 6000ft :oldconfused:

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Presumably 'cos you can fly within three nautical miles of the Big Boat so long as you're more than 6,000 feet above it?

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I'm guessing commercial aviation lanes between 25'000 and 45'000 feet aren't usually moved on the whims of the military in peace time. I wouldn't like to be the ship's captain that starts harassing airliners about coming too close, things might get court martial-ey.

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Ah, yea wasn't thinking in terms of a sphere, was thinking of a cylinder. Now it makes sense. :wallbash:

Fairly sure they do route stuff around certain things, but I doubt a ship would be one of them. I know a friend has had to clear paths for training excersises at eurocontrol, but those are definitely a bit bigger than a ship moving about. @Gareth Halfacree has hit the nail on the head WRT my confusion.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  9. Gareth Halfacree

This is, of course, the flipside of the "delay the second dose" strategy: you get twice as many people half-vaccinated, right up until the first lot hit their 12-week timeslot for the second dose.

Unless this is separate to that, in which case... yeah, that wouldn't be great.

EDIT:

Blimey, this hadn't been posted when I wrote the above:

So no more appointments for anyone post-March 29th through to April 30th? Christ.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Odd seeing as they're saying over 50's should now book because there's a big influx of vaccinations coming in.

I was expecting them to come out and say, politically if not scientifically, one dose will be good enough.

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Interesting, I didn't see that. but there again, I don't do social media.
    I booked mine on Monday afternoon as soon as I received the NHS text. Was surprised to find out it was for this coming Saturday morning.

It'll be 'interesting' to see how I react to it.
    My wife is currently off work sick, having had it at lunchtime yesterday. She was bullish at 6pm when I got home, but by 8pm was somewhat unwell with aches & pains, a banging headache and the shakes.
    She's also annoyed that I am having mine 3 days later than her, despite being 5+ years younger than her.
    Our surgery has been trailing compared other local ones, but seems to have had a catch up.

Oh, and the joys of the twice weekly LF test for my daughter tonight, so that she can carry on at school.

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Give it another week or two.

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

S'ok, we'll take those suspended doses of the AZ jab the EU don't want to administer to it's own citizens, I'll gladly roll my sleeve up right now and have one.

adidan likes this.
  14. adidan

Ditto.

Just heard that the OH's mum is getting her jab in Finland.

She's having the Comirnaty jab...

Yeah, I had to look that up. It's the new name for the Pfizer-Biontech jab.

Edit: turns out it's not so new?!? Well, TIL.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

To be fair, the EMA has approved it, the EU recommends it and some EU countries like Belgium are using it. Meanwhile the US hasn't even approved it yet, and countries like Indonesia have stopped using it also. It's not an EU thing. It's an individual countries thing.

16. adidan

Trouble is all the doubt mongering means people, like I saw being interviewed in Belgium where they continue with it, refusing to take it because reasons.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Goatee likes this.
  18. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Even the EU regulator has said it'd OK to use and no more likely to cause blood clots than not having the vaccine, and the benefits greatly outweigh the risks but the damage has been done by these countries, heaped upon previous damage by EU leaders.

I would be very surprised if they did approve it any time soon.
    Total guess work on my part, but, I imagine an EU manufactured and approved vaccine uses the synthetic alternative to crab lysate, which the yanks don't like, so rather than piggy backing on other approvals and trail data they've probably been running their own trails from ground zero, at the least if they do approve it'll be a while.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Last edited: 18 Mar 2021
  20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It does all feel very political, and as adidan says, the doubt mongering will likely have a dominos effect with other countries following suit.

Playing politics at this time is quite shameful if I’m being brutally honest. I really hope that’s not the case.