1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Well BoJo spent alot more on a bridge that never existed.

2. adidan

Glad to hear the symptoms have abated at least.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm sure that was in the news last week.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Chris Grayling in charge of procurement, by any chance?

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If it was Flailing Grayling they'd be pregnancy tests...

...that didn't work.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well that sucks, man. :sigh:

Mental health services especially have really suffered under Tory 'We're All In It Together™' austerity. Unfortunately I don't think that BoJo is going to learn anything from his experience --sociopaths generally don't. And the general public, much as they were doing their 8:00pm clapping thing again this evening, won't learn from this experience either and vote Tory again like they did the last decade, and will want their Brexit and complain about immigrants as usual.

All I can say is: I'm glad that I can retire soon, and leave this country. If COVID-19 doesn't kill me first.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

If they are same as the tests my country bought, then they do work - but their success ratio is only 52%, so unusable.

8. adidan

Well the commonly used test has about 30% (AFAIK) false negative results.

The antibody test to see if you've had it is much better but the swab test to see if you have it ain't that good.

Better than nothing so long as you don't drop your guard with it. Show symptoms, assume you have it no matter the result.

Doesn't help with asymptomatic carriers though but I guess we're not testing them anyway. Maybe there'll be a better test by the time that happens.

9. walle

walle Minimodder

How are you boys holding up under lockdkown in good ole England with Mother Nature busy doing her 'spring cleaning' just outside your door?

Hope y'all are in good spirits.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's awesome. Giant heat pads.

Snakes used to love the asphalt at night in the USA.

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

They're doing what my cat used to do on the driveway, except they look less aggressive.

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Get up and get to work, ain't much changed for me.

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

San Francisco, Washington DC and New York. They have some, if not THE best museums in existence.

I've only had a small taste of Murica but will be going back to see the rest!

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Americas is a perfectly nice place... it's all the Americans that spoil it...

16. Vault-Tec

That's not true tbh. The people there are generally lovely. It's the ethics and morals of those up top that mess it up. Obama was a sound guy, but the people expect miracles. He did a great job of rebuilding the economy. Trump just spouted a load of BS about building more factories and etc (in poor areas like rural Ohio and Michigan) so the poor (and uneducated) fell for it and voted for him.

But it's kinda like anywhere really. People are just people.

Schooling out there is pretty crap. They also don't hire on experience, wisdom or knowledge either. It's all about that piece of paper. And that piece of paper costs multiple thousands of dollars, so if you had the wrong upbringing you won't be going to college and you won't be getting any qualifications and you will be flipping burgers or working at Walmart no matter how intelligent you are. I learned that lesson fast. I thought I would continue my ten year IT career but it just doesn't work like that. You have to be A+ and god knows what else, and that all costs a ton of money. IIRC it cost my ex wife about $9k to go through some crap college just to get what she needed to start an IT career.

America is a country designed to keep people where the govt feels they belong. If you are born poor? there's a very high chance you will stay that way. I guess it's the only way they can protect their wealthy, which is what it all boils down to. "If every rich man in the world divided up their money between them there wouldn't be enough to go around".

DC was my favourite. And of course Philly, because I could re-enact the "I CAN SEE ! I, I HAVE LEGS ! OH S**T !" much to the embarrassment of my wife.

But yeah, South St in Philly was the best. DC was amazing. I nearly got ran over by Bill Clinton lol. Got pics somewhere, though many contained my ex so I kinda buried the ghost so to speak.

Hated NY. Totally hated it.

17. Vault-Tec

adidan likes this.
  18. adidan

[/QUOTE]
    The times we live in when George W now seems bright looking back.

19. Vault-Tec

Indeed, right? I absolutely hated him for running the country into the ground with his wars. When I initially arrived in the USA in 1999 it was amazing. Petrol was relatively cheap, life was affordable. Soon as he started the war in 2001 it all changed, and totally not for the better. When I got out there a gallon of petrol was about $1.50. Two years later it was double that. By the time I left it was touching on $4 a gallon. And before the petrol debate begins in the USA (especially rural NJ) you *have* to drive. There are no buses, no trains, not even any pavements ffs. The local store was 7 miles away. I rode it on a BMX once. It took me most of the day and nearly killed me.

20. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

At one point I was pushing work to move me out to NY. The way why org works we use a multiplier on base salary based on location which in turn is calculated by cost of living / cost of labour and other things.

NY for us is 1.0 and London is 0.58. ( a weird consequence my direct who is based in NY and my salary is very close despite me having way greater responsibility, contribution and impact.)

The US felt like it was my only option to propel my earnings forward. Anyways I would visit multiple times a year and in every visit I could see the veneer crumbling slowly. A few years back I had an epiphany moment while waiting for a subway, I was just like, I don't want to live here. Since then I've dropped the idea of a transfer AND reduced my visits to once a year.