1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The cost of computer games fuelling piracy...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by feathers, 14 Jul 2011.

1. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Back on topic, Call Of Juarez: The Cartel is now being offered pre-release for just £19.99.

I'd like to think that's because Ubisoft is making a bold statement by offering quality games at a reasonable price to promote downloads.

Or it knows the game's a bit crap.

I do hope it's not the latter, as I quite liked Bound In Blood.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I read the Nowgamer review, apparently its a massive step.... backwards!

3. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Ah, that's not good.

It did strike me as being a bit Wild West meets Kane & Lynch, but you never know.

4. Bede

Bede Minimodder

As far as I am aware the law states that minor modifications of the IP do not create a new IP. Changing a few words in a book does not create a new book.

Music is a funny one because you could argue that all recordings are different - it is the actual theoretical notes behind them that are copyrighted, not the sound recorded.

5. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Don't you mean that games you remember were unique and fun? There were plenty of knock-offs and me-too-copies released in the '90s - and '80s also for that matter - but people reminiscing will tend to recall the good and forget the bad.

On the other hand, during the '80s most ZX Spectrum games were priced at under £10...
    Don't you mean "back in the 90's would have been in the Prima strategy guide, advertised in the manual for an extra £15-20"? ;)

6. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

If it's anything like COJ 2 it will be rubbish,. I got that in the STEAM Sale and utterly disappointed. If you want a good game, get the first... http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/thelawman/index.html

7. pajamas

pajamas What's a Dremel?

steam sales help quite a lot for me, i tend to just wait for major discounts rather than think of pirating these days.