1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Crew Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 10 Dec 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Staff Administrator

2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Ouch. I was really hoping for something akin to Burnout 3/Paradise in terms of racing and open world playground. Oh well, one less game to go on the back-log pile!

3. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Member

It would seem that Ubisoft can't get any of there big releases right this year.

4. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Member

"bothersome Ubisoft fashion" = so true
    I feel the same in Ubisoft titles recently.

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I get all of the points in the review, and kind of agree with most of them, BUT, I still think it's a great game and one worth getting if you're a driving fan.

I think the handling is great for the style of game, if it was too sim like, it wouldn't be as fun, the cars slide around great but are easy to catch and hold the slide as long as you're not too heavy footed with the throttle. The NOS is a waste of time in anything other than FWD as all it does in RWD is spin the wheels up.

Think of it as TDU2, but with a few features removed, but a few new features added. And apparently there's more to be added as and when the devs finish certain features that aren't present now.
    The graphics look great, although trying to run anything higher than FXAA results in low framerates, even on top end hardware.
    There's quite a selection of cars, not as many as was initially advertised apparently, but I'm happy with the selection so far, as long as they add some more of what the community wants, and add the missing specs for some cars (like the F150 Raptor can be street and dirt spec, but not Raid!).

No mention of the ridiculous rubber band AI, who can somehow catch up to you in no time when their car is a much lower performance rating (although if you pay attention to their flaws you can beat them by pushing them off the road or into oncoming traffic), and the police who seem to be driving tanks disguised as police cars, but not just any old tanks, turbo charged monster tanks or something, they're faster than any car in the game and you can't move them at all. They can PIT you, but if you ram into them, they don't move an inch.
    There's also still some bugs present, and some random CTDs, but show me a game that doesn't have the odd bug at release.

It's not the perfect open world game, and I don't really think of it as an MMO at all, but it's a game I'm going to continue putting time into as there's not a lot of other games that offer the same openness. TDU and TDU2 are too old and I've finished them, NFS World has even more issues and is full of hackers, Burnout is also getting on a bit now and never really hooked me anyway, and then you're out of options for PC at least.

6. Bokonist

Bokonist Member

I read in another review that it doesn't offer very good wheel support. What is the point in a driving game that doesn't support peripherals designed to make driving games more engaging.
    And yes Ubisoft have become the place where good ideas go to die, I still haven't forgiven them for the Cliffs of Dover fiasco.

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

It's not a sim driving game, it's an arcade style game. It works well with a controller, and from what I've seen on the crew forums, it can be setup to work well with a wheel, but I really can't see the point.
    My G25 is reserved for sim games, like project cars, (TDU when I was playing it) GTR Evo, Gran Turismo etc.

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

More excellent writing. I love reading your work, Rick.

And oh em gee what I wouldn't give for a modern Burnout Takedown. I know we have NCG (I think it has a name now though) but it just isn't focused the same way. I don't even like racing games, as a general rule. Buy Flatout was great fun and I could play Takedown forever.

9. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Played the beta, Was quiet good the freedom you get is high. It also has a enjoyable story. The main issue this game suffers is the cost of the cars and the level up time to max level. As a MMO it is pretty poor,

As a pick up and play single player game its pretty good. You can basically complete the entire game as solo player then go and explore the world at your leasuire. Test Drive Unlimited 1 and 2 both did this very well just driving around on your own listening to music. The Crew just has a much bigger world to do it in.

For Open world driving games you have 2 choices this or TDU pick your choice. Niether is a what id call a great game they are both bang on average driving games. But they are enjoyable games none the less if thats the style of game your after.

As an Arcade sim not sure a wheel will do you alot of good in truth. There is setups in the forums to make the wheels work 90% of them anyway.

10. jimbok11

jimbok11 New Member

Didn't quite hit the spot unfortunately...

Tags: Add Tags