1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware The Dark Side of Overdrive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Feb 2009.

1. GTMoogle

GTMoogle What's a Dremel?

Image fidelity is the PC/LCD audiophile argument. As long as the image quality is 'good enough', then a few more percentage points of color gamut or a slight ghosting don't actually hurt anything. If you have two different screens sitting next to each other, then of course that raises the bar for 'good enough', since you ACTUALLY have something to compare to. LCD screens have only recently reached 'good enough' so it's still a pretty relevant argument, especially for artists for whom color matters. Most of the time, your eyes and brain can adjust for a lot of deficiency with no harm done.

Lag, however, can affect your fast gaming whether or not you notice it. To add to Idcrobert's very salient points, in a worst case scenario, the screen input lag, triple buffering, framerate, input processing, bluetooth mouse connection, and your slow human responses are all ADDITIVE. Even if you don't notice, you could be gimping your already crappy human reaction by as much as 25%. Wouldn't you love to react 25% faster? Aim 10% better? Get 5% more kills to put you higher on the score list?

Also, AlexAlex is my hero. THAT is how you get reliable data. I'd love to have a hardware review site do that kind of testing for every screen out there.

I'm really amused that bit-tech doesn't have any CRTs around to compare to despite going on and on about how they have no lag, so they have to use the 3007. I'm reallllly interested in the lag-free panel mentioned, I might have to hunt that one down. (Ok, I realize they probably just wanted to avoid the trouble of trying to take photos of CRTs, but it's not THAT hard :D )

2. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

I can be very clear about input lag affecting gaming performance: it's bigger than you think. In my case it's not my screen, but something windows does wrong (and linux does right, compared it with UT). And the thing is: where I usually hit quite a lot (many people do), with input lag, I miss a lot (which I usually don't). I've had a direct comparison with about 1.5 minute in between, and it was a shockingly clear difference. And that difference is still there even when the input lag isn't noticed, you just miss a lot.

3. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

That's why buying cheap is not always a good idea. Look at Eizo - since I bought L557 I use only their panels. Not cheap, but professional quality and no lag (despite having a 10 or 12 bit gamma curve correction and so on). They are perfect in every way. I compared them to some Belinea, Iiyama and Samsung screens and there is no comparison really. It's like comparing a Murcielago to Golf :)

4. tuaamin13

tuaamin13 What's a Dremel?

That was a good read (stuff I didn't know), but please, don't enable auto play on the videos in the middle of a block of text. I haven't read up to that point. I don't want the videos streaming.

5. We Have Signal

We Have Signal What's a Dremel?

Delete

Last edited: 4 Mar 2009
Tags: Add Tags