1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Death of Nintendo?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 18 May 2005.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Will Nintendo go the way of Sega? I mean the dreamcast had good games but Sega eventually bit the dust when it came to making consoles, because of sonys PS1 and Nintendo's N64? I cant remember, but it was a popular console i still play on with my mates, moreso than the PS1.

The fact that the console will be ultra easy to develop for compared to the PS3 and Xbox 360 might not save Nintendo if big developers (EA) like working people to death for whatever console they want. They say it has "strong 3rd party support", so are we gonna see smaller companies producing "revolution only" games? Are small software companies a thing of the past since the introduction of "all bells all whistles" approach of bigger companies that get all the advertising and global releases?

Nintendo will always have a market for Mario, Zelda the odd FF game and resident evil (WOO!) etc but will it be enough to keep them in the running? Compared to the launches of the PS3 and Xbox 360 which are, lets face it, highly anticipated and covered there's so much less on the revolution and i dont think that's just because there's very little "facts" about it out there.

Nintendo admit the Revolution will only be a couple of times more powerful than the GC, which wont be anywhere near the level of PS3/X360 levels of "a few terraflops of data and faster than 2 6800ultras in SLI" but will "concentrating on gameplay" alone work for them? Will joe public be bought by the "we concentrate on games and gameplay" by Nintendo or by "OMFG! LOOK AT THE UBER GFX AND PIXELS AND WIFI AND MULTIMEDIA AND AND AND!!!11oneon" approach by Sony/MS?

Is it because Nintendo concentrates on Japan, then US close by, then EU somewhere down the line? I know i go on about this, but we do get the thick end of the stick when it comes to games and stuff. The Japs get all the best games and we get SFA. I mean, how hard is it to sub a Jap game?? There are some quality titles produced back since.. forever. I play a couple of DC/PS1 Jap games with friends and they are incredibley fun, moreso than some western games. But will downloadable content forgo this whole experience - so i can log onto an american or jap server and choose whatever game i want? Will the "month later release strategy" for the EU become a thing of the past? Will it make the consoles more desirable - seeing that Steam, despite it's problems is a general sucess for Valve could this become a standard for games consoles as well as PCs? I dont fancy downloading a blu-ray disk's worth of data, but a couple of gig isnt too much i spose these days.

Last edited by a moderator: 18 May 2005
  2. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

The main problem with nintendo is that they hardly release any games, they might have some great titles, but thats all they've got... a few good titles that they use to death (mario, zelda, resident evil)... good games for nintendo consoles come out so rarely that i'm probably not gonna buy the revolution, at least untill they've built up a decent games selection for it.

Its all very well doing for the playability more than power aproach but if they dont get enough of those great games than they r gonna go bankrupt, simply because people dont wanna fork out all that money for a console they're only gonna play on every few months, especialy when the better games they sell never seem to go down in price like other consoles.

3. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Well based on what Nintendo has said I think I might get one just for the game library. It will be backwards compatible with the GC (oooo such a big library :rolleyes:) But being able to DL their past 20 years worth of games, to be able to play games from the N64, SNES, NES, that's just awesome. (somehow I think they just squashed the PS3s # of playable games)

So while all the rabid fans are going to be blasting each other away at Halo 3 and GT I will be happily playing away to SMB1,2, & 3:clap:

Also you can't beat its size, that sucker (the Revolution) is tiny!!

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I prefer the looks of the Revolution to the PS3 and x360, and I think many will agree there. It just has a home theatre item look to it, even if it's not one at all (well, dvd player...). I think Nintendo will hang onto the portable market but it will die out of consoles probably. However it has an R520 in it, with a decent proc I think, so it shouldn't be far behind the others as far as power goes. Back when I actually played console games, I'd have taken gameplay over graphics any day of the week (which is why I'll still play FFVII from time to time when I can play just about any game out there at 1600x1200 4xAA 8xAF).

Back when playing games actually took skill, nintendo and sega were really great. I can make hi-def headshots in CSS all day long and then go get my ass kicked by a wad of red pixels in FF3.

I couldn't imagine net-based content distribution (à la valve) for consoles, at least not in the near future. Maybe ten years out when they have their own trusted-computing (or trusted gaming maybe?) system so they know some arse won't go hack the system and have access to every game he wants, not to mention when we're all riding on 10Gbit net connections with solid-state 50TB hard drives going DDR600 fast, but not anytime soon. Right now, even people with the best broadband (save the 1Gbit hongkong stuff) would take hours to download games over a system like that, it would take massive efforts at their end, it WOULD get hacked (maybe even just mod-chipped), and not everyone has broadband, or even net access at all (suckers! but it's like talking about the Amish on TV). Most of all because most of the gaming net services aren't free (xbox live anyways), whereas with steam it's make a free account, buy/register the game, and it's tied to the account (and can be used by any comp you log into that account with) for life.

*pant**wheeze*

5. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

This generation of consoles is really gonna make or break Nintendo in my opinion. I think more and more people will look to the x-box and the ps3.. Unless Nintendo can pull something major out of it's ass and make it worth while...

6. K

K 528491

Suggesting Nintendo stop making consoles is absolutely insane when you forget to properly look at their home market. Nintendo in Japan has always been the serious rival to SONY and continues to be. SEGA's DC failed everywhere because of the PS2. Even in Japan.

Not to mention the only recently de-monopolised hold they've had on the portable arena.

So no, I don't think they should go way of SEGA. Not in Japan at the very least. And not everywhere else for a couple more consoles at least. No specs have been released about the Revolution yet so I would hold back a bit until you hear what it's even about.

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

you guys forget that nintendo has almost always made profit on its consoles, where other manufacturers make a loss for a fair chunk of the console's lifespan, so financially at least, they are very strong.

8. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Exactly. Sega were making a loss on the consoles they were making, which led to their downfall from the console market.

Nintendo are constantly making a profit and I can't see them leaving the gaming market for a very long time.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

FFS i had this whole reply written out and the page CRASHED :mad:

Basically, Nintendo only make consoles, MS/Sony v.big and throw lots of money at it. For Nintendo to make a profit they probably charge high price if specs are to be believed. Joe Public looks at prices and "powerfulness" and decides to buy 360 or PS3.

10. Darv

Darv Bling!!

But Nintendo make games too :worried:

I see your point about the price. I'm not sure how the Gamecube can be so high spec, whilst being the cheapest and still sell for a profit. Hopefully they will come up with something similar for the Rev.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The GC spec, and "power" is actually pretty incredible. It runs off something like 48meg shared ram and is meant to be really easy to code and optimise for compared to the xbox and moreso PS2.
    Thing is - if few people buy the console, then only a few people will buy the games. Unless they get some absoutely killer titles then people buy consoles for those games.

12. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Like you guys said I think nintendo will retain their firm grip of the market in japan or even korea? not sure.

Maybe they will lose out in US and UK or something because obviously US seems to be Xbox's home market and I dunno about UK actually...

In Hong Kong people seem be defo buying PS3 and Xbox, hardly any buying nintendo ... because it's same old boring crap mario, zelda whatever else..

13. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

I cant believe you even started this thread... it was always in my head since the gamecube came out but I didnt think anyone would actually want to talk about it. I think it will go that way, its a sad thing...

14. K

K 528491

Interesting fact: Gamecube's US market share = 13% - Xbox's US market share = 17%

Whilst Gamecube is a close third in the US with PS2 having major dominance, it's interesting to point out it's second on a global scale.

Yes, the death of Nintendo... Any moment now!

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah, it's really all about the games. I mean I bought (well, got for my b-day) a PSX solely for FFVII, and if they have must-have titles on the Rev. it'll certainly help things for them. And it just has more of a next-gen look to it imo- small, sleek and shiny. The real thing is that a whole lot of games are for all three consoles, and if PS3/360 give better graphics at the same price range, then they'll be relying on brand loyalty.

16. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

i think the revolution will show if nintendo are gonna survive, they rely completely on consoles and so if this one fails then they have no other income. I cant see many people buying the revolution simply because as always, there will be few quality titles for it, each released months apart. Unless nintendo come up with something amazing (resisted the temptation to put revolutionary) then they are gonna struggle. Who knows, maybe the new controller will be revolutionary and give the revolution a huge boost, but i for one cant see that hapening. They really need to get more developers making games for the revolution

17. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i think nintendo will slowly die out... although they have good games every now and then, i dont think nintendo will ever beat sony with their playstation.. more well known games come out on the PS2 and sometimes Xbox than the GC. nintendo will always be in 3rd place unless they bring out some truly amazing set of games that everyone will play..

18. savethegaywhales

savethegaywhales What's a Dremel?

I think a fair amount of people will be getting the Revolution just for the library of old games. They haven't stated exactly how it would work out, but if they end up having a premium service for an extra cost, I think they would get a good amount of income off of this. Though, as a consumer, I hope they don't do it.

19. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i havent actually heard much about the new GC... maybe i should go find some info on it..

20. K

K 528491

They aren't third though. Overall, they are second. By a hefty margin.

TheoGeo - No other income? Are you not familiar with the little-known 'GameBoy' franchise?

AGAIN: Nintendo will not die out for many, MANY a year... If ever. ESPECIALLY not in Japan.

Perhaps this needs reposting in bold? And at 72pt?

Tags: