1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dreaded pre-made PC

Discussion in 'General' started by pertek, 25 May 2003.

1. LordChaos

LordChaos What's a Dremel?

I just got a SavRow Platinum

Hey guys,

I liked Evesham too, looked at Alienware, but decided to go with a different one. I actually got the gaming system from SavRow http://www.savrow.com...

I just got the Savrow Platinum, similar to this one (only in dark blue - metallic ;) ):

http://www.savrow.com/images/design_large/platinum1.jpg

I wanted a gaming rig and spoke to a bunch of guys... They knew a great deal about the stuff, the system is full of some pretty neat custom drivers and its obvious they spent time optimizing it... Got 18200 3D Mark 2001SE out of box, which is nice.

There we lots of little touches, like wiring in system is really tight, got a customised desktop wallpaper to match the metallic blue paint I ordered... They even told me to wait one week more to get the Radeon 256MB 9800 Pro, most other places would have tried to sell me their old stock..

Also, unlike the other two, they will upgrade my components for a year at cost (figured this would save me in the long run) and it cost me about £75 more than same Alienware config....

Anyway, recommend them, highly.

Max
    Just a quick word, I can see you new :D Welcome to the Forums, but one of our rules is to not post images from other websites, link to images by all means, but using another site's image in the [ IMG ] tag leeches their bandwidth :D - :: Phat ::

2. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

Only Prebuilt i would buy or recommend is a dell. They are pretty fast and They are pretty reliable. They have easy accesible cases and have good deals every now and then. They have probably the best costumer support and service a sure bet IMO:thumb:

only problem though is the price. I would pay $ 2,235.75 for my computer thats self built why I would have to pay $3,198.09 for a dell.. thats about almost 1k difference!!!!!! but Dells are still nice..:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :eeek:

Last edited: 5 Jul 2003
  3. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

dell have awesome tech support
    at work they run all dell workstations and servers
    so far i think they've had 2 or 3 free servers from dell :D
    they bought a server and it had some problem and dell simply sent a brand new one out and never bothered to collect the other one :D fixed the broken one with a bios flash, they gave a free little server worth £300 when they bought another few workstations
    they basically rock :D

4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

DO NOT start me on my complaints with dell. i ordered a system form them back in the begining of december 2001 and it arived on febuary 2nd 2002. i kept calling them up to find out whats going on and they kept saying it will ship anyday now. they said that for a whole month. i was also annoyed that they forced me to buy stuff. i did not want a monitor. i didnt want a OS, hell i didnt even want that stupid microsoft works that they make you get. same thing for the speakers. i could of easly saved $600 on the final price if i didnt need to purchase all the crap they made me get. once i finaly got the system, things got worse. it kept booting to a BSoD. i called up tech support i waited on hold for around a hour and then they couldnt find my computer in there database! when they did find my computer, it was listed under large bussiness instead of home. they had to transfer my call to a different department and i had to wait on hold for about another hour. after i did get someone on the line, the guy told me to use my dell windows cd and reinstall xp home. they never shiped me one. the guy said a replacement is $200. i was like WTF you are chargeing $200 for a virsion of windows that you people screwed around with and put your logo all over? the real XP Home costs only $99. i got pissed and hung up. i took my copy of XP Pro that i have and installed it. the computer still runs like crap. its 1.8 ghz and it benchmarks lower than a 1.4. there parts are all "watered down" virsions of real products. i found out the hard way when i went to update my soundcard drivers and Turtlebeach told me that my soundcard was dell modified. the rest of the crap in there case is propriatay. (how do you spell it?) i installed a Radeon 9700 Pro in the dell and i was having stabilty problems. i found out that it is becuase they use a 200w propraiatay power suply. i tryed to stick a 400w in but quickly realised that dells power suplys have grroves in them so a new power suply wont fit. there motherboards only had 3 pci slots. i have a sound card, NIC and modem in it and no room for anything else. even the front mounted usb ports are retarted. there at the bottom of the case, and the ports are faced downwards. i fall off my bed everytime i go to plug in somthing in and it usualy takes 5 minutes to get it in.

ok i will stop now. im getting tired of typing it. maby i will post more later. no matter who you go with, check out there rating at www.resellerratings.com to see if there good or not. dell is among the worst rated companys on the site. go with monarchcomputer or someone else that has a rating above 8

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

maybe thats just dell usa :p
    but all the new dells here (the ones in the new style black cases) use standard components, no propritary stuff :) and have been very good

6. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

do you happen to have screenshots? my dell is fairly new and it is loaded with propriatary. the only that isnt propriatary is the drives.

7. LordChaos

Yeah guys, you are kidding yourself if you think the Dell doesn't have proprietary stuff in it.. All Dells have the following proprietary components (even new ones)

Dell PSU is not compatible with any other systems/motherboards
    Dell Motherboards are all proprietary
    Dell Cooling systems are proprietary. the latest gaming system has a cooling system that makes it difficult to upgrade the processors.
    Even the Radeons they ship are radeon 9800 version T - non standard radeons.. (Although I don't think there are any compatibility issues with other systems, they don't work well with other Bios flashes and work well with own drivers.

The motherboards ship with dell Bios, which are less flexible than standard motherboards and don't help things like OCing

Hope this clears up things. PS there is one company I know that sells Dell PSUs it is based in the US and I know that people get pretty pissed about the fact that their systems are excluded from the market by Dell...

8. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

the dell hardware benchmarks lower. i remember back durign the geforce 3 days that maximum pc got a dell that was getting horible 3d mark scores even with a GF3 Ti 500. maximum pc switched the GF3 with a Ti-200 or somthing like that and it preformed better. dell also has horible heat management. i opend my dell because it felt warm and i was like "HOLY ****!" i stuck a thermomitor in there realy quick and it was at 142 degrees F. thats about 60 C i think.

what company is that? my dell has barley any juice for the componets

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

the old dells do have proprietary
    believe me i should know, work has about 10 old style almost completely proprietary systems in use, about 3 in pieces and about 10 of the new type ones which do not have proprietary hardware, its standard ATX psu/mobo
    i dunno about the servers as they won't let me open them up and look :p
    the cooling is different, they usually have a big heatsink with a hood going to a large silent fan, its not hard to change the processor out, just flip the hood up pop the heatsink and replace the chip :)

10. elneckio

elneckio What's a Dremel?

If your just after a PC for serious stuff (i.e. no gaming) then my vote goes to Dell. Very quiet and quick enough for general windows duties.

Only downside I have seen so far is the custom PSU thing but that shouldn't be too big a problem.

11. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Hamish, take off one of those PSU's and put it next to a normal one. you will see the difference. i found out the hard way that the conectors are backwards. the heatsinks are a royal pain in the ass to get off and on. the mobos are propriatary. try mounting it in to a new case. oh yea be prepaired to do some driling.

12. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

Seriously though.. If your not adept enough to build your own computer Then you prolly won't be overclocking.. I mean thats an easy an fairly accurate assumption. And those are the people that buy premade machines. I don't dislike the companies either for overpricing their computers. They do it to make money. And they do I mean why not get every penny you can? anyways I still vote for dell:thumb:

13. LordChaos

14. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

15. Clockworks999

Clockworks999 What's a Dremel?

Another vote for Evesham. I have had 3 of their PCs over the last 8 years- I buy a PC, run it for a year or so, upgrade it, etc. Eventually it is more cost effective to buy an new PC than continue to upgrade.

In 8 years, with 3 Evesham PCs, I have had only 1 hardware fault- a noisy northbridge fan. I offered to swap it myself if they posted it to me. They said they would rather send an engineer, at a time to suit me. No problems.

Each time I have ordered from them they quote delivery as 1 to 2 weeks, then phone back after a couple of days to say it will be shipped that afternoon. Delivered next morning.

Excellent Company

Cheers

16. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Have built all my own systems since I was running 286's, I just do not trust these big name firms. I know of someone who bought a Time PC recently, was told it had a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 in it, turns out it was a Geforce 4 MX 420!!

It's just so much cheaper to build your own in the long run, and really it's not that hard, just a case of using a little common sense, I've been building all my systems since I was 10 or 11.

At least with your own build you know exactly what parts your putting in. Plus, anything pre-built looks butt ugly, for example the new HP Vetr systems :duh: I mean, yuck!!

17. LordChaos

Have you ever seen a pre-made from SavRow . You can't tell me that's ugly.

I have also built PCs in the past, but that can be time consuming and I wouldn't be able to get the level of finish that my system has (I got one similar to this Platinum model. Knowing how to make a PC made me even more appreciative of the level of detail that went into the PC I bought.

There are some really decent manufacturers out there like SavRow, Alienware, and Falcon NW Voodoo all making high end systems with top components and finish...

I think there is a market of pretty plain-jane standard component (and deficient) component systems that includes the Dells, Compaqs Packard Bell etc etc, these are OK for price, but they don't necessarily have the very best (service, components, performance).

I think any one of us has it in them to make a system that beats these commodity PCs. I would only be willing to pay the premium to someone who can make a superior PC to one I can build.

But I agree with you. If you are looking for a standard PC and are on a budget, you could probably beat even Dells prices (if you look hard enough and don't charge your own labour!!)

My 2c

18. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

hmm those savrow computers dont have a price tag. i have a rule that if you have to ask, its too much. a 3.2ghz computer equiped with 480 gigs of HDD and 2 Dvd burners must cost a fortune. at least Falcon-Northwest is nice enough to warn you that you goin to drop 6 grand on there computers

19. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Who needs that much HDD space??

I know I've got over 200 gig but, really 480??? Thats knocking on half a terrabyte.

And not everyone has that much money to spend, my main system still cost me less than anything made by Dell and so on with their cut price systems.

20. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

aparently whoever can afford those computer needs it. i (up till last week) have 335 gigs total of HDD space and about 150 of it is in use.

Sweet this is my post #75!!! im going to upload a frog avatar now. and Behemoth, i love your kitt avatar.