1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the dreaming pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doryakov, 10 Sep 2005.

1. doryakov

doryakov New Member

do you want to buy a new computer?
    what is the computer that you dreaming about?

2. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

one that works .. grrrrrrrrrrrr

3. Agamer

Agamer Member

Take it your having some problems with your current one.

4. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

set up wireless network at my girlfriends house using the current hardware i had at home.. cant seem to get the wireless part to actually connect using the upstairs pc.

downstairs pc connects through a router.. and then upstairs connects through a wireless dongle... through to a access point plugged into the router.

finds the networks.. connects.. but wont actually connect to the net?!

5. Guest-17499

Guest-17499 Guest

yeah those wireless networks are so fiddly, i hate them with a passion now :)

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

FX57 or X2 4800+
    DFI NF4 SLI
    2x 7800GTX

Ram (2Gb ballistix) and drives (Seagate 7200.8) already bought.. those are the last 3 bad boys on the list, then it's build time.

Just trying to decide if a Vapochill is worth the invenstment, and holding off to see what ATi's response to NVidia is.... also Socket M2 worries me a little.

7. FaiNT`

FaiNT` New Member

ATI's chipset response or ATI's response to sli?

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Now you mention it... both. We've seen the gruper board... looks sexy as hell.. great clocking BIOS, but dissapointing in crucial areas such as ethernet, firewire, and USB performance... otherwise a fantastic board... can't wait for later revisions of that... red and white... Mmmm...

As for SLi vs. Crossfire... I can't help but think crossfire is a bit of a lash up compared to SLi. I know it has advantages over SLI, but then again, the opposite is also true, and I'm relectant to have two card that BOTH take up TWO SLOTS!... that's absolutely no space left for PCI cards on a DFI NF4 for instance.

However.. what's stopping me from driving to Scan tomorrow, is A) More news on M2 with DDR2, B) ATi's response to the 7800GTX, and C) Seagates reluctance to actually start selling the 7200.9 drives! They look great, and I can sell these 7200.8s I have sitting here doing nothing for what I paid for them, so no loss.... but I'm sick of Seagate's paper launches.

9. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

A G5 2.7 GHz dual processer with 4 GB ram, 6800 GTX mac edition with dual 30 inch studio cinema displays :D

10. doryakov

doryakov New Member

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

*cough* 'shoped tbh. If something like that was knocking around, the whole intarweb would be on fire with it.

12. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Not shopped, just cobbled together from spare parts to look impressive (and failing, big time)
    If you look at a picture of the "Quantum II Processor" (what happened to the Quantum I btw?), the two "Optical Lenses" are just lenses from a CD-ROM (and strangely, appear to be focussing light on the processor cover - as mentioned in an article in El Reg, I think)
    And looking at the font used for the "Quantum II" label on the processor, it looks like a complete rip of the Quantum logo on the old Seagate drives...

13. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

you might just find that alot of wireless stuff simply cant go through walls and floors mate. thats my experience.

14. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Hmmm... Dream PC.. ok:

-Amd 4800 X2 @ 3GHz+
    -Either: some 2GB ballistix PC4000 or some 2Gb OCZ plat PC4800(any one kno what the chip type is on the OCZ?)
    - Sli XFX 7800GTXs
    - Dfi LP Sli-DR
    - The best Tagan psu :p
    - Black Lian li V1000
    - 2 of these :thumb: (maybe 3 :lol: )
    - some B&W Prestiges (the huge shell shaped ones :lol: )
    - An uber glass desk for it all...
    - Al silver Aqua computer stuff

(umm... whats the point of this thread? :eyebrow: )

-Frank

Last edited: 12 Sep 2005
  15. Altron

Altron Well-Known Member

Seriously, he didnt'e even photoshop it. He used Paint, and did a crappy job too. Notice on the "General" tab the body of the tab is different from the rest of the window, and the grey around the logo is a different shade.

As for my dream PC, it would need to be a mATX system, completely passive cooling, Northwood 2400C (800mhz fsb and hyperthreading) or faster. It would be like some higher end power amps, where the sides are made out of huge heatsinks. It would have two optical drives, a DVD-ROM and a DVD-RW. There would be 15k rpm SCSI RAID 5 with very quiet drives. The power supply would need to be completely fanless and output at least 500 watts and be very stable, probably the Antec Phantom 500. It would have Radeon 9000 or better graphics. It would have a HDTV tuner and be able to function as a DVR and watch movies off the dvd drive. It would have the E-MU 1820M sound card, properly configured with Winamp. It would have at least two NICs. It would weigh no more than 30 lbs and have wheels. It would have an IBM Model M keyboard and a modded mouse with the body and shoulder buttons of a MS Intellimouse and the laser tracking of a high end laser mose. There would be two 30" LCDs. The LCDs need to go to at least 2048x1536 with a really high refresh rate and good response time. They also need to have a good contrast ratio, be very bright, and have a glass pane in front of them so that they look like a CRT. There would also be a LCD touchpad remote control. In addition to the LCD remote, there would be a desktop box housing the power button, a volume knob, input selectors, audio controls, the soundcard breakout box, and a 5" LCD that shows the Winamp playlist.

Yeah, that's it, until the "dream audio setup" thread rolls around.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2005
  16. Platinum

Platinum New Member

I dont dream about it I use it :p

17. Baldick

Baldick Banned

with eihter of those cpus, vapo deffo worth it if you want max clocks. i have an fx57 enroute from states(seller had it to 3.8GHz on dry ice) so im definitely getting a vapo for some 3.4GHz goodness. yeah id wait on R520 i know peeps that had GTX and they didnt like them at times.(heat exhausted, shimmering in many games etc)

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Basically what I have now, but the high-end parts instead of overclocked lowend. Plus doubling the ram from one to two gigs. Actually, whatever overclocks best regardless.

19. Lemur 6

Lemur 6 New Member

Hmm... a dream you say? So in other words, does not exist, and probably won't exist... then lets see...

Something small, but not too small, maybe the size of an iPod. Generates little to no heat (i.e. does not need an active cooling system and does not need a big clunky heat sink connected to it). Uses very little power, maybe uses a regenerative source, like those new solar cells that absorb infra-red spectrum (i.e. heat). Has enough storage, ram, graphics power and speed to store all that I need for the next century and is compatible with all software, and can run that software faster than any existing system for the next century (or some adaptive system). Impossible to hack, immune to viruses, and has virtually indestructable hardware (this includes impact, temperature extremes, and liquid-proofness). Has a holographic display that can create a viewing volume that can be as large as a movie screen, or can be as small as a cell phone screen, with a refresh rate fast enough so that it can't be detected by our eyes, does not create blurs, and can generate as many colors as the human retina can detect (don't really need more than that). The interface should be a "neural-link", or some mind reading capability that can detect the users intent and translate them directly to a command, this "link" should be unique to user so that other users cannot use the system. Has the ability to change it's exterior color, maybe I want it to be jet black one day, and maybe I want midnight blue with white trimming the next. Exterior must be smooth, shiny, and scratch/smudge/fingerprint proof.

Phew, I think I covered all bases...

Something more realistic you say? Hmm... Any high speed quad-processor system with over 3 GB of high speed ram, redundant power supply, ~500 GB of SCSI storage for programs, a 2 TB SCSI disk array for storage, and MOST IMPORTANTLY I don't own it and it's under a maintenance service contract (so if anything breaks, they fix it, and I don't pay for it and I'm not to blame, I just use the bloody thing). But... I guess I use something close enough to that at work currently anyhow (dual Xeon 3+GHz, 3+GB ram, 500 GB storage + 2 TB disk array, etc etc) so I'm pretty satisfied for now...

-Lemur 6

20. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Key words and phrases:
    Cascade Cooling
    Water Cooling
    AMD Opteron
    Gigabyte
    SATA Port Multiplier
    Seagate ST3500641AS
    160GB SSD-RAM
    Hyper OS Hyper Drive
    DVB-T
    X-Fi
    SLI
    Multi Monitor
    30"
    Colorgraphic
    4GB RAM
    etc...

Well no one said it had to be affordable ;)