1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The DS USB dongle just a regular WiFi dongle?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Veles, 10 Feb 2007.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Want to connect my DS to the tinerweb, and was just wondering if this (http://www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/731691/Nintendo_DS_Wi_Fi_USB_Connector/Product.html) is just a regular WiFi dongle but with Nintendo slapped on it? I'm guessing it probably is, you connect your DS via WiFi to your PC, and then you can copnnect it to the internet through this connection.

I'm doing something similar to this already with my 360, although it's connected to my PC by an ethernet cable instead of wireless. So am I right in thinking a wireless dongle/PCI card would basically turn my PC into a wireless access point, albeit with a very bad range? So this would also work with a Wii, a laptop, well, any wifi device really?

Cheers for any help.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

It's a buffalo powered unit, but all the encryption is performed by the software.

There's no way AFAIK to connect a non-nintendo device to it, my Wii worked with mine, but then I just bought a new router for £40.

3. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

there are some that can work, but you have to write your own drivers, there are guides on the web.

A company makes one that works with DS and PSP for £15 tho, i think its called wifiMax

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The WiFi max IS a standard WiFI dongle, it is designed to work as an AP.

Tags: