1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 31 Mar 2006.

1. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

MastershakeJB how long have you played the game? Don't be quick to judge just yet, when I first started the game I thought man this games nothing, I was running at 60 fps at 1680 res and everything was smooth as butter, but after going deeper into the game I dropped the 1680 res and came down to a 1280. Reason being this game is not very evenly developed like most games, the way the game works is the further you go and more effects you see the more it'll start to kill you GPU until you end up playing a slide show.

Here are a few major framrate killers that you will only run into later on in the game.

Combination FPS Killer = Rain + Horse (fast horse) + Lots of Grass + Long Draw Distance = Slide Show
    Effects FPS Killer= 4 or more Badguys + Invisibility Effects + Enchanted Weapon Effects = Semi Slide Show (The Multiple Camelion Effect kills FPS)

Just cause you get 60 FPS in the beginning don't mean you're gonna continue getting it, like I said this game is very poorly written in that the performance is very uneven, but than again Bethesda has never been known for well balanced programming, even Morrow was riddled with uneven performance issues.

2. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I thought self-shadowing looked worse on than off, but I didn't run it for very long I guess.

Loading times are impressive for sure, but I seem to have similar grunt to mrtad in that respect.

I can tell you now that this has reminded me I never got around to trying that soft volt-mod my card could probably use ;) (first game I've met where I actually needed the grunt to get good performance with maxed settings with a res limit of 1280*1024)

I'm doing 1280*1024, maxed textures and view distance, most of the other distances reasonably high .. I turned off grass after about 30 hours I think, it looks awesome but it causes a big hit to fps with it on a fair enough distance to not pop-up annoyingly. Side-bonus is missing less alchemy components (mushroom, mushroom, mushroom, mushrom, flower)
    The clincher for grass distance though was the spider daedra - shorter than the long grass in places and with a penchance for running around a lot in between lightning bolts and spawning even shorter spiderlings that also hide in the long grass while attacking

I read mention of a grass thickness tweak, methinks I might have to try that :)

3. Muunsyr

Muunsyr What's a Dremel?

Soooo many hours wasted....

I preordered. I got the game at 10pm. I was home and had started playing at 11:30pm. I went to bed at 6am.

I got up at 1pm. I played until 6ish, went out for a couple of hours (forced myself to), ate, and continued playing until 5am. Slept alot, my memory is getting a little hazy. Next night I stayed up until 6am ish again.

Late nights got to me. I could only stay up till 3am the following night.

Back to work on monday and then up until 2am playing.

Tuesday I was practically dead (at work - I managed to stay up past midnight playing again).

Anyways, am currently running it on a 4400+ (@stock), 1x xfx 7900gtx 690mhz (@stock 690), 2GB ocz plat, 2,3,2,5 goodness, 2 x WD raptorX. Max settings @16x12 - it only slows down on grassy hillsides with multiple people casting spells. I haven't checked actual framerates, though it only gets as low as 'slight annoyance' as apposed to 'unbearable' or 'me- hmmmmm.. flatmate- where did you take that photo?' :)

have not yet tweaked, but planning on doing so and ocing.

4. MastershakeJB

MastershakeJB Banned

I'm a level 16 character, so long enough. I had a lot of problems on my 6800GS OC'd, that's why i went to the 7900. The 6800 would let me get as high as 12 X 10 ALMOST totally playable, really I had to have it at 10 X 7 to keep it smooth. So yeah, the game is kinda beastly, but I just think the new flagship cards, ie X1900 and 7900 are more beastly than they're being given credit for here. And instead of playing those weird games of comparing different settings, they should have tested apples to apples.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

friendly advice -

do NOT rely on only autosaves and quicksaves
    I just started to the game to find that they had both been corrupted, chucked me out of the game as soon as i went to the "load" screen

I thought I had lost all progress so far (~35 hours) - proper heart-sinking stuff

Luckily, after I manually deleted the autosave and quicksave files from the save folder, i could get to the manual saves

Now all of my saves are automatically backed up every day :worried:

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I lost my weekend to this game - I can't believe it's Monday already. I'm already having withdrawal symptons at 10:15am. :waah:

7. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Been playing the 360 version and I have to say I think it's awesome - it's not perfect by any means but if you're an RPG fan you'll love it.

Very happy with the control system on the 360, though the quick slots on the D-pad aren't ideal.

8. dehx

dehx What's a Dremel?

Alot of people don't realize this, but the X1900XTX is the same exact GPU that runs inside the X360, in fact, the X360 has a X1900XT, not the overclocked XTX.

I have a Athlon 64 3500+ running at 2.5 Ghz, mem at 454 Mhz DDR, and an X1900XTX.

I can run the game with every single setting cranked to maximum @ 1280x1024. The only place I notice < 20 fps is when I piss off 20 guards and when I jump off the mountains and the terrian loading before I reach my stony grave below. haha. Oh, and Imperial city runs around 25 fps at these settings.

I tried running it at 1280x720 with all these settings maxed and got about a 10 fps boost everywhere, but I personally like 1280x1024 because at that resultion, the game has very low alaising, which rids the need for Anti Aliasing. And @ 1280x1024 is really does look better than 720 rendering the extra 389,000 Pixels per frame makes a difference.

And the reviewer is right. If you love this game and can't run HDR. Its well worth the money to buy a PS 3.0 ATI X1800 or X1900 or NVidia 7900 to see it.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2006
  9. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Wow you figured out that PC has console plus TGM god mode, you're so cool you finished the first gate in 57 seconds somebody should give you a prize. News flash nobody cares, and the lack of console and TGM Godmode on Xbox 360 is actually a good thing because it's always more fun to play a game without cheating, who the hell wants to complete a Oblivion Gate in 57 seconds anyways might as well just skip the whole game and watch the ending damn Noob.
    Another thing as much I don't like to defend the Xbox 360, I'm gonna have tell you to GET YOU'RE FACTS STRAIGHT before you start spreading rubbish.
    X1900XT or XTX or XXXXTTTXXXX is a direct X9 card with a overclocked core, the Xbox 360 uses the Xenos a modified DX10 Card with hardware AA and an unified key word "unified" shader architecture, that is not found in "ANY" PC Video Card to date. Although the Xenos GPU has lower clock speed than the X1900 it's architecture is more advanced than any DX9 Card in the market.

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Guys chill out, its just a game :thumb:

11. MastershakeJB

MastershakeJB Banned

well, really the 360 core resembles an X1900 very much, only it has ten megs of SUPER fast ram sitting right on the die, which basically gives it one eye candy for free, be that loads of anti aliasing or antisoptric filtering.
    And really, everyone needs to stop talking as though x1900 and 7900 AREN"T DX10, they clearly will be, just like many cards that came out just before DX9 were totally compatable. Also, if you read on the back of a 7900 box, I don't know if the same is true of a X1900, but it says it "Built for Microsoft Windows Vista" and nvidia says this as well about the 7900; ""third generation gpu architecture built for windows vista" "delivers best possible experience when running the Windows Vista 3D graphical user interface." Now, to run that interface, isn't that DX10? Either way, I think it's clear by their wording, that those of us with 79's, and quite possibly X1900 (I have NO idea about X1900's "vista compatability", only the 79's), already have our DX10 cards, we just don't have DX10 yet. I don't really know about X19's compatability, but considering ATI is sleeping with microsoft now and how similar the x19 is to the 360 core, i'm sure that the x19 will be just as, if not moreso compatable with DX10 than the 79.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2006
  12. Tim S

Tim S OG

The Xenos GPU (R500, the one inside XBox 360) is a unified shader model with an on-die EDRAM module to give 4xAA for free. Radeon X1900-series is based on a traditional shader architecture, meaning that there is no vertex texturing or sharing of resources.

There are dedicated vertex shaders, and dedicated pixel shaders with one texture unit for every three pixel shader units inside R580. R500 doesn't have any of that - it's a completely unified shader architecture, meaning that you can share ALUs between vertex shader instructions and pixel shader instructions. ;)

13. MastershakeJB

MastershakeJB Banned

oops. I just read on what separates DX10 from 9, and so I guess my 79 won't be compatable :/ .

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

DirectX is backwards compatible, but if you want to make use of newer features that come with DX10, you'll need a DX10-capable video card. G80 and R600 are coming later this year.

15. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

The thing is I don't even own a Xbox 360, I have the PC version of Oblivion. I just can't stand people talking trash without knowing what the hell they're talking about.

LOL Owned

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Ok, I'm quite sure I'll be in the minority here, but do at least some other people think that HDR was quite considerably over-used in this game? I've so far left it on, because I think the majority of its use is very enjoyable, and really brings that "daylight" light feel to much of the outdoor stuff, as well as some lovely lighting to indoors, however at times when I'm say, running around ruins where the stone is practically blinding me(does stone, even white stone, ever reflect that much? I'd say no) or watching a very bright sun shining wolf I've just killed roll down a hill, I think, "they're really taking the piss with this". Its a shame theres not a slider for various levels of intensity, because I'd be much happier if HDR was only used about half as much.

Other then that, its too small, its too simple, but it looks fantastic, the sounds are fantastic, and the combat is enjoyable. Hopefully mods can take care of the smallness, and the simplicities of the gameplay. Oh and the guards are entirely too polite, damnit if they're not telling me to "get lost"(in ye olde Tamrialic talke) then I ain't happy :p

/moan

17. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I'm loving this game so far, but i'm finding when you have the right weapons (elven claymore) and gear (full body mithral, baby), it's bloody easy. Everything seems to be done just right, except for how touchy the guards were - for example, in the early game they notice you take one gold piece while you're in the basement of a monster house. Now (L.11), i ransack the whole place, and walk out, with guards buzzing about, with nary a word. Weird. On a plus note, i propose a contest for boredom's sake - what's the biggest mess you can make in the game? I've already made a big enough one in my hovel that it pushes me across the room (no joke. I have about 1,000 pounds of crap.

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've just been screwing about looting places for some time now, have finally accumulated over 100k gold :clap:

nfi what im going to do with all of it, bought a house to throw all of the stuff in thats too valuable to sell and no good to me (ie worth a lot more than shopkeepers have)(does anyone know if your houses can get robbed, as ive not been there in days and would hate to go there and find all my loot nicked!). Bound to find someone with loads of dosh sooner or later.

If you're swatting everything down like flies with a couple swipes, just increast the difficulty slider a bit.

19. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I floored the slider... no luck. The only things that are raping me are will-o-wisps. Btw - i just passed 10K, bought a house in brunea? (sp). Now it's empty. I've got to bring my adoring fan to it though, and lock him in the cellar. He's still at my waterfront shack :). (Yeah i'm grand champion)

20. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I left my adoring fan in the middle of a river. I wonder if he drowned....had actually forgotten about him. :worried:

100k gold will go very fast when your buying up houses and buying all the furniture for them.

Word to you fellows who have the Gray Fox helmut.... don't use a bound helmut while wearing it!!!! I went up to one of those rune stones while I was wearing it and activated the stone. Next thing I know, my fame was at 0 and my infamy was at over 100 and the second I came close to a city (even after I had taken the melmuts off) I was chased by guards. Fricken sucked. I didn't even get to pay off my fine even though I had more then enough money to pay the $7500 fine and ended up spending 150 days in jail for that one. :waah:

Now I'm trying to raise my fame back up so I can buy that damned house in Anvril.... you have to be famous to buy it.

Some quests though seem to be undoable if you don't complete them right away or if you screw up. If you're needing some help with a quest and it's messed up (on the 360) I'll give you a hand if you want. Just send a message to Major Suckage and I'll help you the next time that I'm on.

Tags: Add Tags