1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Elder Scrolls Online

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by suragh, 22 Jan 2013.

1. rma

rma Minimodder

and doesn't the fact that they're still under NDA during beta this close to release tell you all you need to know!

Don't pre-order it, whatever you do!!!

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I think it's how you see it.

Most people that viewed it as an MMO enjoyed it, because it does something different to an MMO.

The people who viewed it as 'online skyrim' hated it, which was nearly everyone who played it. People expected so much from this game that it was going to be impossible to live up. Like The Old Republic; the KOTOR games are legendary, cult classics, then they made a mediocre WOW clone based in the same universe. It was never going to end well.

I personally am not interested after playing the beta this weekend. I've made up my mind and i'm not going to be playing it anymore or when it's released. There are many genuine problems I thought that made it very dull and uninteresting. I'm just hoping they don't give up on the 'proper' elder scrolls games because of ESO.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

My problems with ESO.

The combat as none caster its a clunky mess of a thing and is not fleunt in any sence compared to other recent mmos.

Questing with others is none existant you can not share a quest and theres no sharing of pick ups even with you both having to loot the same stuff. This is like what WOW was like 10 years ago.

A Co Op skyrim would be awesome if it was really Co Op this is just online skyrim with some chat boxes there is very little if any team play in the early levels and even once you hit 20s its not a great improvement.

As I said before this is more like a Alpha and were less than 2months from release, Im glad I did not pre order thats for sure, Recent big budget mmos have been pretty dismal this is no different.

Star Wars, Star Trek, ESO have all failed to grasp one thing or another. 3 big budget big brand games that if done correctly could all have maintained a user base of decent size.

Star Trek survived 2 years as pay to play. Star Wars 18months, ESO will be lucky to get 12months.

Once its free to play it will pick up users who just want to see the story but are not willing to pay to play to see the story, Just like Star Wars has and Star Trek has since going F2P.

4. Darkwisdom

Pretty sure we're not allowed to talk about it in any depth.

But the co-op system bothered me. There's no benefit to partying in the slightest, not when you don't get any more quest rewards, you still have to get your own stuff and anyone can kill anything so partying doesn't reward you for doing so.

5. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

You can share quests, I shared some with the wife and she shared with me.
    THe quest items having to be relooted by each rather than being 'instanced' as it wre, is an issue.

6. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I agree with your post on the last page, it's not suited to a lot of people, kind of hope for its own sake that it is suited to someone.

I loved it at first, then got fed up of it, then settled at: it's ok. But for that kind of cost, no way I would pay that for an ok game. I might check it out again if it goes F2P or at least if they get rid of the subscription. Shame though, there aren't many MMO's around. There are a million names but of ones that I actually enjoy to play... I'm down to one, and it's OLD.

7. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

Yeah, there are pretty much no MMO's worth playing for me, I keep trying but modern MMOs cant keep me interested more than a couple months. EQ1, Vanguard were the last really fun ones for me, I now just waste cash on new ones as they come to keep me distracted till Pantheon Rise of the Fallen is done years from now.

In my continued attempt to find a game to play, I have preordered ESO as until 14th Feb gamebreakertv has a code that gives 20% off when you buy the game from Greenmangaming, with the discount the game cost is a little less offensive

8. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Played the beta last Weekend and was less than impressed. After not even 90 minutes I almost fell asleep due to boredom and proceeded to play Dark Souls instead. The game is extremely bland somehow. It's lacking the detailed liveliness of the older games - which is surprising given it's an MMO, it should feel more alive and not less so.

However a colleague mentioned that might have to do with the fact that I didn't even finish the tutorial (could not be arsed to go further than that snowy town this prophet guy teleports you to. Don't even get me started on how little sense that quest made.

Why do they try to make you a Nerevar or Hero of Kwatch? It just does make no sense at all.

Anyway: It is possible to explore Morrowind and Vvardenfell in the game? And does the land even look remotely similar to the province you explored in the previous game? At this point the possibility of exploring Morrowind might be the only thing that could way me to get the game for 30 bucks and play for a month.

9. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

So this one went live yesterday, anyone have any comments?

Thinking about it!

10. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

A bit late of a reply, but hey, I have been busy playing ESO!
    I’m really enjoying it. I have dragged friends from other MMOs over, so my mighty Guild of 9 people is up and running on the EU server. Go Daggerfall! :D

It is hard to give a fair opinion on the game at the moment because there is a lot of bias due to the new shiny feel of it, but I am really enjoying the combat in this game, I like the action orientated style of it and how paying attention to mechanics and resource management are key to battles rather than ‘maximising rotation’ and clicking away. Heck, even trash can punish you if you don’t block or dodge when you should.

I have found questing in this game rather addictive, I enjoy the quest stories (even for side quests) and love the choices you have to make – decisions that actually change permanently what you see in the world. This is a big shock to me, as I usually don’t care much for quests in MMOs – I see them as a To Do List in most MMOs, and often the journey to and from the quest location takes longer than the darn quests (who then send you there again!)

I confess to even liking the crafting which is another aspect of games that I do yet usually don’t enjoy – it is so simplistic yet also has complexities and more importantly it is not an endless slow grinding process – you can lvl up doing nothing more than deconstructing gear you find which takes no time at all. Obviously you can make gear too and gain xp making stuff too, which is also refreshingly speedy to make things.

Dungeons have been a real fun experience too, rooms of 10+ trash mobs to fight, trying to drop my standard MMO habits of trying to tank everything (doing that will kill you!) instead smartly picking danger targets to aggro and accept my team mates will have their own skirmishes and mobs to deal with. A refreshing change from typical MMO style of tank grabbing everything and everyone else just starting their rotation like well trained monkeys :)

So, as a long time MMOer (but not hardcore simply a guy who spends too much playing) I have really enjoyed the game so far, the game isn’t without faults, there are things that need improving, and of course bugs (though at least for me personally this has been a damn impressive launch for an MMO)

11. Darkwisdom

As a pure MMO, it's pretty decent I think.

But as a hardcore Elder Scrolls fan, I can't deal with it. It ruins the lore in possibly every fashion imaginable. They even managed to mess up the races as well. It just isn't a true Elder Scrolls game to me, a complete write off. I'll wait for Elder Scrolls VI.

12. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

I agree that any extreme fan of ES would probably find the game irritating, because when turning a game into an MMO comprimises have to be done, which some won't accept - same will go for extreme MMOers.
    For others it is actually an ideal game, MMOs are to samey for my tastes, meanwhile ES games are too lonely and tedious for my liking. This brings a good mix for me who is a lover of MMOs but am not into the whole rush to end game and endlessly grind style of play, and liked the idea/story of ES games, but found combat far too dull and ironically the mass freedom of the games rather meh.

All in all, it is a very good MMO Role Playing Game, it has the essence of ES but you would neer say it was the next one of the series, it is a branch off.

13. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I finally bought it now that it's cheap (£13 on Amazon! It was £50 originally). Personally I love it, I don't understand the "it's not like ES" comments at all. For me it feels almost exactly like the ES games, in fact I keep hitting F5 for quicksave...

For me it is all that is good about the ES series, but without the bits that are terrible. It has the big well made world (far bigger than usual in fact), it has good lore, good story and questing, (better quests than Skyrim imo), it promotes exploration with random stuff all over the place which you can loot and bookshelves sometimes contain skillbooks, and generally the immersive ES experience. But what has changed is the (arguably?) crappy skill system and combat, which is replaced with (arguably?) some of the best combat I've seen in any RPG or MMO.

I have only played as a mage so maybe melee players are right to hate it, but for this class at least, it plays brilliantly. I have a variety of spells that have specific effects, a stun type, a damage over time, a direct damage, some AoE, a pet, and some others (even at low level). So it has the tactical depth of older MMO's. But you also get to manually aim the spells and even your staff bolts, and you can miss, so it plays like an action game too and requires skill as well as thought. You can also manually block, manually counterspell, and manually dive out the way of stuff, so it has everything you would want from magic combat, tactics and action combined. You can also actually die if you aren't careful, even at low levels, which is a nice change from most dumbed down modern MMO's (I quit LOTRO at about level 18 with an achievement for never dying.)

The downsides are that it is indeed very solo based, you can solo your way through the majority of the game, and in fact other players only really get in my way. I hate going in to a dungeon and someone else has just killed everything and other players are running around waiting to kill stuff as it respawns, because it just means I get 'helped' even when I would prefer to face all the mobs myself for more of a challenge. Although thankfully with starting late I don't always have this. I also hear from good sources that even if you love the game, you'll likely move on after a few months.

But one last thing to say about that, firstly, I actually like soloing so it suits me fine... and there is apparently some good group content to do later in the game, dungeons and PVP and whatever else. For me this is a nice change from certain other MMO's which are all about grouping/raiding. And secondly, £50 + monthly fee was a bit overpriced but I don't think people should not buy it just because it has a fee. I paid a measly £13 for game which includes a free month, and seeing as it's only a semi short term game anyway, that means it is only going to cost me £13 to play through a large part of the game. If I decide to stick around for a second month, it is only going to cost me another £8 ish. So about £20 for 2 months. So really money isn't an issue anymore at least. I get the feeling some people are subscription phobic and it makes no sense to me, you can cancel it any time so it's not going to charge your more than you wanted. You can cancel and restart your sub any time you want. Also you can pay via paypal so don't even need your card, and the best thing, you don't get nickel and dimed to death by microtransactions because they are trying to make money out of F2P. You just pay the measly 8 quid and get the full game like it should be.

Overall I think it is a great game and got very unfairly treated by a lot of people. I can understand people who were annoyed at bugs early on, that's fair enough. But most of the complaints I've seen people make about this game are just unfair or wrong.

p.s. I also saw an article only a month or so ago which said this game currently has around 770,000 active subscriptions... one of the highest on the market (maybe even the second highest after WoW), so it is far from F2P, and far from dead. Usually I'm the biggest cynic when it comes to gaming but with this game it seems everything has been reversed.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2014