1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fantasy Book Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by sinizterguy, 4 Jan 2004.

1. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Please list your recommended reads here ...

Name of the book, the series and the author ....

Anything else that might be important. :D

Want a nice resource before I run off to the bookstore to buy random stuff.

Let me start off by recommending all the books by Raymond E Feist.

Magician to start with. Ill list the rest a little bit later.

2. Eyes in the Dark

Eyes in the Dark What's a Dremel?

Terry Brooks - The Word and the Void

Three part series including

1 : Running with the Demon
    2 : A knight of the Word
    3 : Angel Fire East

Great books, could not put them down

or

Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space

very good as well, as is Chasm City

just got his other three for Christmas....looking forward to getting my teeth into them

3. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time (Its a series, currently at 10 books but theres going to be around 12-14) First book is called 'The Eye of the World'.

George RR Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire (I know you've already read it but others may take not) Cannot recommend this series enough! Book 4 should be out somewhen this year. I'm guessing autumn time.

Robin Hobb - The Farseer Trilogy

JRR Tolkien - The Silmarillion. Not an easy read and not everyones cup of tea but any big fan of Lord of the Rings will like this book.

4. Eyes in the Dark

Eyes in the Dark What's a Dremel?

has anybody read Divine Comedy?

I have got a copy and I did start, but never got very far. Is it any good and should I try to read it again?

5. Stew

Stew Disgruntled Postal Worker

Robert E Howard - The Conan stories

6. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

id echo spiral architect about robert jordan and george r r martin.

the song of ice and fire books so far is prob in my top 10 ever reads.

The wheel of time starts of great (first 5 or 6) but the quality peeters out. nothing really happens in the 10th one.

My advice read.

A game of thrones by George R R Martin , you wont regret it

7. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Bah! A pox on Jordan. ;) He started off ok, but God - what happened? His last book was so boring I haven't even bothered to finish it. He could have put this story to bed several books ago, but I guess it's $$$ he's thinking about now.

Robin Hobb has a new series out at the mo - I believe it's called the 'Tawny Man' trilogy

I also recommend James' Barclays 'Raven' books. Start with the first three books (Dawnthief, Noonshade & Nightchild), and follow them up with Elfsorro, the first in a new trilogy.

You may also want to try Juliet McKenna's "Einarinn" series: The Thief's Gamble, The Swordsman's Oath, The Gambler's Fortune, The Warrior's Bond & The Assassin's Edge.

Other good stuff - try the Barbed Coil by JV Jones - very good in a different way, and rare in fantasy circles for being a single volume

Also look out Janny Wurt's Cycle of Fire series: Stormwarden, Keeper of the Keys & Shadowfane.

And on the Raymond Fiest front, Magician is good, but I believe the best series of books he came out with was The Empire Trilogy - Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire & Mistress of the Empire.

8. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Agreed. Robert Jordan's Wheel of TIme series kicks arse.

What about Piers Anthony? Got to love his Xanth series!

9. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

'The Tawny Man' is the follow on from 'The Farseer Trilogy' although i haven't read it yet. I'm going to wait till the paperback of the latest (and last) book of the trilogy to come out.

I agree that the Wheel of Time series has slowed down loads. Crossroads of Twilight i feel was just tying up loose ends from the past couple of books. Judging from CoT i'm guessing the last battle is going to start at the end of the next book - so expect more action!!!

It'll be interesting to see what 'New Spring' - the prequel of The Wheel of Time is like. Its due to be released on Friday so i'll order it from amazon as they have a discount on it otherwise i'll be paying £16 in the local book shop. And i'm not paying that much whatever book it is.

10. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

Steven King and Peter Strabb (?sp) The Talisman Very good read.

If your after some comedy then any of the Discworld series

Meblin

11. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Robert Jordan .... read every single book (the first eight) ... dropped the series half-way through the 9th cos it was soooo boring, and nothing ever seems to happen.

George R R Martin is definitely very very good.

Raymond E Feist - The serpentwar saga, the king's buccaneer, faerie tale all very good. Faerie tale is not set in the Riftwar scenario ... its in current times, with a fantasy twist ... definitely worth a read, it quite good.

The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman - They rock .. they are what got me into fantasy initially. The related books set on Krynn are quite good too, but the best is the Dragonlance chronicles.

It & The Eye of the Dragon by Stephen King - 'It' will definitely be in my Top 5 list, and I read eye of the dragon a long time ago and thought it was pretty good.

The Death Gate Cycle (7 Books) - Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman - cant recommend these enough, they are absolutely fantastic.

The Forgotten Realms set of books - They are all very good, the best being R A Salvatore's books with Drizzt Do'Urden the dark elf as the main character, e.g. The Icewind Dale trilogy, Homeworld, Sojourn, Exile, and a few others.

The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien, and of course The Lord of the Rings ... these 4 are excellent, but my favourite is the hobbit. Maybe because I read that first.

12. digitalattrition

digitalattrition What's a Dremel?

anything by william gibson. books like neuromancer, mona lisa overdrive, idoru, count zero and all of that.

13. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

14. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

Tas Rocks!!!

I read the first dragolance and I recommend them to anyone who liked LOTR. Its much more action packed and not so damn wordy... Description is nice, made it good for the movies. But damn reading like 1 page of description irks me.

15. Falkram

Falkram What's a Dremel?

Anne McCaffrey - the dragonriders of pern series

Orson Scott Card - dunno if this is fantasy but the ender's game series is good too

16. ivan2740

ivan2740 What's a Dremel?

I agree with sinizterguy
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman is the best series i've ever read. If you liked this series, some others by the same authors are The Death Gate Cycle and The Darksword Trillogy. Pretty much everything I read from these two authors is great, but these are one i can easily recommend :D

17. jpb

jpb What's a Dremel?

Tad William's Memory Sorrow & Thorn series. The rest of his stuff is excellent as well.

If you want military fiction, Glen Cook's Black Company books are good.

Others I've enjoyed: Children of Amarid trilogy by David B. Coe, His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman, the Riddle-Master trilogy by Patricia McKillip, Robin McKinley's books (The Blue Sword, Hero & The Crown, etc), the works of Stephen Donaldson (Thomas Covenant books, Mirror of Her Dreams & A Man Rides Through) and Leguin's Earthsea books.

That's all off the top of my head.

18. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

I remember really enjoying "The Dark is rising" by Susan Cooper- not read it for a good few years mind you!

Sam

19. vivid

vivid down in fraggle rock

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (the whole set of 4 books) theyre so class

also naything by Terry Pratchett

and im also reading The Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman the first book is kinda kiddy but aparently it picks up

20. Crazith

Crazith What's a Dremel?

correction 5

I also do recomend Tad Williams:The "Otherland" series

Kim Stanley Robinson: The "Mars" Series

Joel Rosenberg: "Gaurdians of the Flame" out of print but if you find all like I think its 7-10 books its worth it

Stephen Baxter: Any of his books they are all good reads

Gregory Benford: Most of his books are also great

and Harry Turtledove: The Darkness Series is a great world type war with magic

I would list more but I have to head out in a few mins I will try and add more later