1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The Floppy is Dead! Long Live the Floppy!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 31 Jan 2007.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Shouldn't that title be "the floppy is dead, long live the optical disc" or something like that? Given that the "long live.." thing refers to two people, the old(dead) king and the new(live) king?

As I said recently, I hate floppies but I will use them where it's simplest to do so. Annoying as they are they're still the simplest way for some things.

2. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

If you had 4 spare floppies laying around, you could have been oldschool and used a program like WinRAR to break it down to fit on floopies for you... god I remember those days.

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Thats what I was thinking, but then alot of the time the titles on Bit Tech dont make sense :p

4. fannypad

fannypad What's a Dremel?

Who wrote this ill-researched splurge of non news? Looks like someone's going to regret getting their 14 year old nephew round for work experience.

What in julian clary's name is all that about? CD drive speed ratings are based on the read speed of CD audio and have nothing to do with any kind of "floppy disk standard"... you'll be lucky to get 30-80KB/s using a 1.44MB HD floppy.

DVD speeds are similarly based on the standard read speed of DVD video. Bugger all to do with CD-Rs.

And to think someone's being paid to write this bilge...

5. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

Where I worked two years ago the small company had half invested in a network but still downloaded emails on 56k put them on floppy to give to the manager (who had the server as her work station(which wasn't networked))

I agree with fannypad this is non news, the reason PC world isn't selling any more drives/discs is because joe public hasn't bought enough to warrant stocking them for the last few months (maybe years) Find out when the sales started to plummet and that's your death date. PC World is not a dictator of standards merely an (expensive) retailer following market trends.

There's no replacement for floppies atm though, CDRs are unwieldy and scratch easily, USB keys hold too much of your personal data to hand over to someone else (like you would a floppy), setting up a network to copy one file is a pain, bluetooth doesn't have a standard enough interface for everyone to just use and the internet isn't always available.

Floppies could be carried around in a laptop bag with no case and for a quick file transfer you just whip out a floppy, copy and hand it over no worrying about other files cos you only gave the files you wanted give. It didn't even matter if that person didn't have their machine on or even with them because for under a quid a floppy never returning was no loss.

I'd like to see files "carried" on your fingerprint, you select the files to send have the recipient scan their finger on your computer then if they're both their machines are on the file is transferred over wifi/bt. Or uploaded automatically as soon as possible to an internet server for retrieval later using the fingerprint as ID/PW & encryption

PS What are new save icons going to look like Folder Icon? USB key? CD-R? HDD?

6. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

My floppy drive hasn't been used in over two years now, and two months ago it left my main rig completly.

Still have a giant box of discs tho, might sift through them at some point.

And my college still uses them occasionally, when we do network installs, and a utility is stored and a floppy and transferred to whoever needs it.

Although more ofter than not they end up on my flash drive anyway...

*raises toast to another fallen format*

7. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

I use them on a daily basis at work. they are the best medium for sending things like PGP keys.

infact just recently we had batch of new PC's to be rolled out and for the first time pc's turned up without floppy drives. first thing i had to do was put a floppy drive in so that the first one could be configured properly and a image taken.

they are not going to be gone as fast as people think.

8. wharrad

wharrad What's a Dremel?

On the point of the speeds, yeah I think it's from CD Audio. The time it takes to play Beethoven's 5th symphony perfectly is 74 minutes.... and 1x writing speed for both DVD and CD is 74 minutes...

I 'seem' to remember it being along those lines anyhow. But I have been known to be wrong, very wrong in fact.

9. riggs

riggs ^_^

Nice :rock:

My old man still has copies of DOS 3, Novell Netware and SMART (amongst other things), all on 5.25" disks! I think he's got some PC magazine cover disks too...

Did anyone ever used to perform the old 'hole drilling' trick to 720k floppies? I remember doing that many a time when I needed to transfer large(!) files but had no 1.44Mb disks around. It worked, but cut the disk lifespan down to a few weeks!

As a retro media, I like floppies - they remind me of the good old days of the Amiga/AtariST.

10. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

I'm not so sure. Now that Vista doesn't require a floppy for install time drivers, the first thing PC manufacturers will do to save cash will be to ditch floppy drives. And then motherboard manufaturers will stop including a floppy drive headers on most boards. In a couple of years from now it'll be like trying to find a motherboard with ISA slots.

At the company I work for we haven't bought a floppy drive equipped machine in over 3 years. We still keep a USB one around for BIOS updates and the odd occasion when a government client sends through supplier framework documents on a floppy. Making machine images and configuring? Haven't you heard of PXE / BOOTP? Much easier than having to open up new machines to install some hardware from the dark ages.

11. f00dl3

f00dl3 What's a Dremel?

Floppy disks are also a threat to the RIAA/MPAA

In a press conference today the RIAA stated the following:

"We are excited that floppy disks are no more. They were one of the worse sources of music piracy, as all the data was written to the disk in an magnetic format. Users could simply copy data to another diskette."

However, the RIAA and MPAA have plans on adapting this technology to drives in the future:

"Our major record labels have learned something valuable from the floppy disk era - magnets can destroy these disks. We are working on a magnetic media format that will self-destruct after 3 uses on an individual machine, with much higher storage capacity, to be used to distribute Blue Ray 2nd generation discs."

12. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

So what am I to do with my floppy collection, donate it to a musuem?
    "And on your left you will see a pirated copy of DOS and Windows 3.0"
    And some smart *ss kid will ask WTF is DOS.

I can see the future :worried:

13. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I'm sure some kid will chime in "Wasn't that the codename for Windows 2046?"

Regarding fl00dl3's post;

The RIAA are morons. You can't get a single 128kb/s MP3 onto a floppy, how does the fact that the data can be easily copied pose a threat? Musicians didn't release their albums in 3.5" format, so any music thats on a floppy would be easy to copy anyway because its already pirated. Unless they're talking about ZIP disks, and even then the same applies.

14. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I still use a floppy drive every single day.

you think CNC mills and lathes that cost from $40,000-$100,000 would have USB ports....
    but at that price $1k for a computer to use DNC is like a drop in the bucket.

strange enough it only seems to be the Haas controllers that use floppy's When I use waterjet's and lasers they tend to always be hardwired for DNC so they forgo the floppy altogether.

our newest Lathe finally has a color LCD screen. I thought monochrome 15" crt's died in the early 90's

15. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins What's a Dremel?

My floppy's been used quite a bit in recent times to transfer the DOS-Games I have back upped on my PC to my old 486 for a bit of nostalgia. (Some would work under XP, but most don't properly ... )

:clap: :clap: :clap:

16. mattyt

mattyt What's a Dremel?

This reminds me of when Dixons (yeah, as in PC world dixons) stopped selling analogue radios and the fu-raw over that.

bilbothebaggins - I recently discovered dosbox which lets me run classic dos games on my mac! Seeing the cheesy intro for Strike Commander almost brought a tear to my eye. There's a version for most platforms, just google it.

17. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

I haven't used a floppy in years. I can do BIOS upgrades with my USB key or with a bootable CD. For Windows installations, I integrate the drivers using nLite.

Good riddance. Floppy drives as well as media are notoriously unreliable and known to fail at any given time. I've even had floppy controllers on modern motherboards do the same. I'm not surprised, they can't seriously put a lot of time into making them.

18. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Don't copy that floppy!

19. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I remember that Video!

20. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I still have a box of comodore c64 floppys (the flexible ones, modded for dual side use)
    And still have floppys for the Atari ST, and the 1.44mb HD floppys for the pc. although just about 10 pieces for bootups and stuff. But did not touched that for about 2 years. the last time i used it, was for installing sata drivers because the winxp could not find a cd with installation for 3th party scisi devices.

To me the floppy and floppydrive are the only hardware that is not 'evolved' or progressed like other hardware. All other hardware has come and go, like isa slots, socket types, memory types and such, the floppy stayed. The sizes of harddisk has increased 30times, memory increased 20 times, cd size increased, speed increased, evolved to dvd and soon to hd-dvd/br.

The floppy still the same speed, size and dimensions. I still remember saying to a friend 2 years ago: "why dont they just remove the damn thing from the motherboard, it saves space for other usefull stuff and also makes room in the bios and on the chipset. Nobody uses it anymore, windows still wants to find one, even if there is no fdrive to be found in a hundred miles from my pc. I even disabled it in the bios. They removed isa slots too and change sockets every damn month so wy wont they just remove the damn old and slow thing like the floppy drive and put in something better, they did with all the other hardware!"

I still believe this statement. And i still believe the fd is absolete since 2003. Name one driver that is released on a floppy with you hardware purcases in the last 3 years. I bet you will trying to remember for at least 10 minutes and still dont remember when you last seen a driver on a floppy...

Tags: Add Tags