1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress "The Golden Sail" - update 12/24/09

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sonnenschein, 5 May 2009.

1. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

White will also probably make it easier to see the shape of it, whereas black might hide the smooth form of it. Also white makes things look bigger, though it's probably imposing enough in black. Good work so far. :)

2. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Amazing amount of work you're doing there, in so many different materials with
    many custom made jigs and forms, cant understand why you don't have stars.
    But here's a start. :thumb:
    Excellent work.

3. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

looking wicked!

4. Eurofix

Eurofix What's a Dremel?

It's pple like u that make 'modding' an art form - once again I have been put back in my place...:eeek:

5. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

This is modding!!! Man I am speechless!! So much knowledge and fantasy!!! Thats AWESOME!!!!
    Good job my friend!!! :):):)

6. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

Nice work, subbed ;->

7. LooZypher

LooZypher Huh!? What!?

My God man!!! This is nice!!!!

8. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Nice shower lol

9. Sonnenschein

Sonnenschein What's a Dremel?

After two weeks I think it´s once again time for an update. Unfortunately I forgot to make pictures second last week. Reason for this could be that I made only little things at the PC and fill the GRP form with surface. Be that as it will last weekend I made some pics that I´ll show you in this update.

I started with cutting the hole for the window out of the GRP form.
    [​IMG]
    I know the window could be maybe a little bit bigger to look “ideal”. When the window will be bigger I had to make the inner space bigger and the bigger inner space wouldn´t look so good how the space with the smaller window. So I decided to make the hole for the window better a little bit smaller.

With the hole for the window the last big piece from the big GRP form was eliminated.
    [​IMG]
    At this picture you could see the 3 pieces I cut out of the form

Moreover I got a very nice package from Calgary (Canada) with two Freezone Elite radiators , one Freezone radiator, a MTEC Control Center und some tubing.
    [​IMG]

The two Freezone Elite radiators will be installed at the bottom of the sail like my plan was. To get very great cooling results I´ll install two Noiseblocker Multiframe MF12 S2 fans directly behind the radiators.
    [​IMG]

Later I´ll cut two holes into the Plexiglas, so that the hot air could flow from the radiators to the fans. Moreover I´ll bore three M3 threads in each side edge to could install it how you see at the following picture.
    [​IMG]
    How you could see at the picture I changed my plan for this area a little bit. Namely I´ll install 6 Noisblocker Multiframe MF8 S2 fans instead of only three. These 6 fans will shovel the cold air in the case an directly against the radiators. The hot air from the radiators will be exhaust by the two 120mm fans behind the radiators.

Because at the end I´ll make some “final-pics“ from the inner case (without the GRP form on it) I think it would be really great to see the things that are under the inner bottom plate. For that reason I´ll cut a hole in the bend Plexiglas at the left side. At the following pictures you see the dimensions of the hole.
    [​IMG]

Besides the bottom area I employed with the GRP form that it fit exactly to the rest of the case and especially to the aluminum plate at the backside. Apparently my preparatory work was nearly exact, because the GRP form fitted relative fast.
    [​IMG]
    How you could see at the cables on the pictures I´ll have a lot of “fun” to sleeve them all.

At the following pictures you see the backside of the case.
    [​IMG]
    The Plexiglas frame between the GRP and the aluminum fitted exactly, but this isn´t such a big problem, because I have to crop only 2cm from the lower side.

Who considered the last pictures a little bit exactly, noticed maybe that under the GRP form is a socket.
    The socket is made of MDF an only for test. The final socket will be making of black anodized aluminum. Moreover I think it will look better, when the socket is 8cm high instead of 7cm, or how is your opinion to the socket???
    To give you a little decision guidance here is a picture from the front.
    [​IMG]

Well and now we are at the end of this update, and I be afraid that I´ll couldn´t work a lot at the PC next weekend, because I´ll come home in the night from Saturday to Sunday…:-:)-:)-(

@Monkey Puzzle: Well with the fact that white look bigger than black things you are right. But how you say to is it easier to see the shape of a white thing, and because the form of this PC is something special I think it´s better to make it white.

@oldnewby: Thanks for your compliments!

@DonT-FeaR: Thanks

@Eurofix: You are right, the PC is a little bit more “art” than other PCs, but because of this the PC will be at the end a little bit more “unpractical” than other PCs. On the one hand the PC will be very heavy and on the other hand, to change maybe hardware would be a little bit more difficult than by a “normal” PC…;-)

@AnG3L: Ohhh thank you! I hope I´ll don´t disappear you with the final result.

@marlowdrummer/LooZypher: Thank you.

@Floyd: Oh yes, and it´s still nicer to shower under it…;-)

Edit: Well just this minute I noticed that I´m nominated for the Mod of the Month July. So I would be very happy that all who like my project could vote for me. For this many thanks beforehand and I´ll reciprocate with some more updates the next weeks/months.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2009
  10. badje

badje boni

You got my vote, I really like ur idea.

11. maRiio

maRiio What's a Dremel?

your work is really fascinating, very nice job, keep it up :thumb:

ps: liebe grüße aus österreich :)

12. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

Well fit! Subbed, and voted.

13. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Nicework.

Kinda on/offtopic. But those rads are weird :S Do they cool nice?

14. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

yeah they are weird i like the potential!

good case so far

15. ...yeah...

...yeah... What's a Dremel?

I saw your CoolIT PC @ CeBit and was very fascinated about it, and now I find accidentally a project log about your new case. Very great idea for a unique case and I´m afraid that this case will kill all your cases you build so far.

I hope to see as soon as some new pictures from the process.

P.S.: You get my vote for.

16. Sonnenschein

I think after more than a month it´s time for a further update. Unfortunately I haven´t a lot of time so I hope it isn´t such a big problem for you that I show you only some pictures with only a few words. Well and if you have maybe some questions to the following pictures please ask me and I´ll give you an answer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I´ll glue this little piece of Plexiglas at the tube in the front to hold the whole sail that it has no chance to overturn and the three LEDs are the power LEDs. For better imagination I made a test piece that you could see at the next picture

[​IMG]#

Well I also started with building the seal for the bottom of the Plexiglas tube in the front.

[​IMG]

Under this seal I´ll install 4 high power LEDs to illuminate the water very well.

[​IMG]

For this pictures I used only three Superflux LEDs. The part that is under the Plexiglas plate will be later in the black socket.

Moreover I bored the holes for the 2 120mm fans in the backpanel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready with this I made the bottom plate for the internal space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the end 3 pictures from the whole case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now we are at the end of this update. I only have on picture for you.

[​IMG]

A OCZ Agility series sata 2 2,5” SSD with 30GB that I got warmly from OCZ for this project.

@badje: Thanks, but unfortunately I had 2 votes too little for the 1st place…;-)

@maRiio/I-E-D: Thanks!!!

@BlackWhizz: How DonT-FeaR wrote are the radis weird and need power to work very well.

@DonT-FeaR: Thank you.

@...yeah…: Ohhh I hope I won´t disappointed you with project and you´ll like at the end how the coolIT PC.

17. Sonnenschein

Hello,

after nearly two weeks I think it´s time for a further update. After I made the bottom plate for the interior I could start with cutting out the back plate for the interior.

[​IMG]

To connect this plate with the bottom and the rear I filed some feet made of 8mm Plexiglas.

[​IMG]

This feet I glued with acryfix at the back plate. After the acryfix was dry I mark the right positions to cut M3 thread in the aluminum.

[​IMG]

Ready with this I could start with bending the 3mm white Plexiglas on that I´ll install the LEDs to illuminate the inner space. For this I built at first a form over that I could bend the Plexiglas.

[​IMG]

During I built the form I hopped to get a great idea how I could heat up the 90cm long Plexiglas stripe easily, because the stripe was to long for a normal oven. Unfortunately I didn´t get a better idea how to split it into two parts.

[​IMG]

Now I had the size how long the circuit stripes for he LED have to be. So I started directly with cutting out of them.

[​IMG]

At each of this stripes I soldered on 3 warm white superflux LEDs.

[​IMG]

I connected all the stripes, so that I have to solder only one plug and put it into a 9V bush.

After the LEDs for the inner space were soldered very well I could start with the LEDs for the rear. For this I bored at first 80 5mm holes in the frame made of Plexiglas.

[​IMG]

Next I grinded off the heads from the LEDs to get a bigger angle of radiation. I also cut the cables that I needed to the right length and removed the isolations of the ends.

[​IMG]

Right after I was ready with soldering the LEDs I assembled all provisional to see the light effect and especially to make a photo from it, that you could see it to…;-)

[​IMG]

Ready with soldering LEDs it was time again to bore some holes in the rear plate. But at first I had to find the right position of the 150 holes.

[​IMG]

For this I made a „sketch“with a CAD program. I think it´s a lot of better than a sketch with pencil and ruler, because on the one hand it´s 100% exactly and on the other it´s more easier to rework the sketch a little bit.

[​IMG]

And so looks the upper side of the rear after I tortured the 4,5mm borer about 150 times. I think the result looks relative good and nearly like a CNC work…;-).

In contrast to the holes in the lower part of the rear you see in the upper part the holes from inside and outside.

[​IMG]

Now I could devote to the Plexiglas stripe that will be installed infront of the LEDs to refract the light of them. For this I start again with building a form to bend the Plexiglas stripe over it.

[​IMG]

How you could see is this form a little bit more exactly than the other form. Reason for this ist the fact that you don´t see the stripe on that the LEDs are so it wasn´t necessary to work accurate to a millimeter.
    Ready with this I faced to the same problem how I descriped you at the start of this update namely how to heat up a 80cm long Plexiglas stripe. But now I find a solution that you could see the following picture

[​IMG]

I don´t know why I hadn´t this idea much more earlier, but better late than never…;-)

Thant he Plexiglas stripe was heat up to 170°C I could start with bending it.

[​IMG]

Before I take the Plexiglas out of the oven I filled the bottles with boiling hot water, because cold water would eliminate the heat of the Plexiglas instantly.
    After the stripe was bending I cut out the stripe that it fitted exactly between the backside and the GRP form.

[​IMG]

Now I assembled all provisional again to give you a little impression how the case looks with the LED light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well and now we are nearly at the end of this update. Nearly means that I have a question to you once again. The question is about the socket, because I´m not really sure how it looks best. To “help” you a little bit I rendered 3 Versions with Cinema 4D for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now I would be very happy, if you could post your opinion to the socket.

ModMinded likes this.
  18. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

MAN this is Insanity!!! All this creativity!!! Excellent!!! Bravo!!! :)

19. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Great work so far!
    I like the black base (socket) better than the other pictured version.

20. Sonnenschein

After I used the last 3. weeks before my third semester started intensive with modding it´s time for a further update of this project.
    Because the PC should look very tidy under the GRP-bonnet, too it was time again for planning the inner space.

[​IMG]

The straight lines at the left side symbolize two water tubes, and the over lines right besides symbolize cables. The cables that come from the upper case will be connected with golden 3,5mm headphone plugs. The cables are for the LEDs and some buttons. The cables that come out of the lower box will be connected with the M-TEC controllcenter, and the cables that come from the long slot left besides that box are from the mainboard.

After the plan was ready I built two models with carton.

[​IMG]

Satisfied with this models I consider the material that I´ll use for building that two boxes. At the end I decided to build a frame made of Plexiglas. That frame I´ll glue with Acryfix at the big plate and on that box I´ll screw on an aluminum plate.

In the meantime I received a package from Bielefeld (Germany) with the following volume.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For this I want to say a big thank you to for this great support.

After I had controlled that package with a lot of fun I could devote to the I/O blind and the slot blinds. For this I measured all and mark it.

[​IMG]

I cut out the holes with a jigsaw and after this I used a file to got a realy accurate result.

Ready with theses holes I came to the bottom plate, namely to the fan holes.

[​IMG]

With this printout it was no more problem to mark the more than 200 holes exactly. Next I bored the 8,5mm holes and countersinked it at the end.

[​IMG]

With this plate the last big piece for the basic case was ready and I could build the case provisional together. At first I screwed the two side panels made of Plexiglas on the bottom plate.

[​IMG]

You see at the picture also the PSU-holder and the mounting for the 3 fans. At the end I´ll glue all these things with the 3mm aluminum bottom. So it´s impossible for the bottom plate to sag. All that you could see at the picture will get a white varnish at the end.

[​IMG]

Now I installed the PSU and the 3 80mm fans. Certainly I´ll use other screws for the PSU that look a bit more decent.

After this the CoolIT radiators and the two 120mm Noisblocker fans came to their position over the three 80mm fans.

[​IMG]

I decided to cut a big hole in one of the two side panels at the bottom area. So it´s possible to see the hardware that´s in it, in case the GRP-bonnet isn´t over it.

[​IMG]

Next I screwed on the intermediate floor at the two side panels.

[​IMG]

At this picture you see the mountering for the slot-in drive. The box is a bit higher than the slimline drive because under and over the drive I´ll apply 3mm cellular rubber. Moreover the slot will be illuminated with 8 LEDs that I glue in the stripe made of Plexiglas.

[​IMG]

The 8 LEDs will be connected with the status LED from the disk drive with help of an opto-coupler. So the slot won´t glow always but replaces the normal status LED from the disk drive.

Let´s come to the pictures of the back panel that I mentioned at the beginning of this update.

[​IMG]

How watch the picture more exact noticed that the upper box is absent and that in the lower bix are two bigger holes. The absent box is nearly ready and I have only to glue it. The holes are a kind of fan holes for the inner space.

[​IMG]

I hope you understand my plan after watching that picture. The two 80mm fans will blow against the mainboard. Because the mainboard has a distance to the back panel of 15mm the air will stream under the mainboard in the inner space and than through the 150 4,5mm holes in the upper part of the back side out of the case.

Certainly the box with the M-TEC controll center won´t be open but a aluminum plate come over it.

[​IMG]

I´ll overdraw this plate with leaf guiding and in addition I´ll use black M3 screws. The rest of the back panel will be white at the end

[​IMG]

All the cables will be sleeved white and with the aid of a mounting forced to lie exactly vertical.

Now we come from the back side to the front side.

[​IMG]

The white pieces made of Plexiglas are only for the moment and will bail at the end.

So and now it´s time for the solution how I´ll make the mounting for the slot blinds.

[​IMG]

How you could see at this picture is it impossible for me to use standard blinds and so I have to make all for myself. But I hope that isn´t such a big problem. The blinds will be screwed on with M3 screws at the mountings that you could see at the picture

At the following pictures you could see how the holes case looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now we are nearly at the end of this update, but only nearly. Like in almost every update I´ll finish this update with hardware news as related to the graphic card. Namely the company
    mushkin will support me with a HD5850.

@AnG3L: Ohhhh Thanks for these compliments, and I hope I won´t disappeared you with this and the further updates

@ModMinded: Well thanks for your opinion, but I´m unfortunately a little bit undecided.