1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The Grammar/Spelling Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 19 Apr 2010.

1. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Worse than that is people who add an apostrophe onto any word that ends in "s", like plurals (e.g. car's, book's) :sigh:

I have a friend who does that all the time and it drives me mad.

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Are your teachers clinically retarded?

edit - no, I see why they'd say that. But the rule should come with a caveat.

3. Kalcifer

Kalcifer If you want change, start with yourself.

I went to they're house at 10 after there party we left their drunk.

4. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

I went to they are house at 10 after that place party we left belonging to them drunk.

Sounds like a good night to me ;)

5. Kalcifer

Kalcifer If you want change, start with yourself.

What is you talking about? I were forever the mostest smart kid in me class. Me wont never has the badness grammar.

noess! me work hard get badder post make momma proud. no peoples can are dumber than me...me post me means...i are smart.

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

People who forget that there is something called "an" which is to be used in the place of "a" when the next word in line starts with a vowel.

An elephant.
    A building.

Please.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

8. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

Much like the thread titled "a ebay seller" that is currently near the top of general discussion
    It shouldn't bother me I know :p :sigh:

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

No let it bother you its good for the heart gov.

10. Just Jon

Just Jon User title provided by Skimtitles

*twitch*

Lol, maybe this pedantry isn't such a bad thing after all, B.E.!

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Not to mention "an historic" or "an hotel"

12. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I find the grammar nazis found on most forums to be more annoying than those who use incorrect grammar. Some people jump on others who have made mistakes a little too eagerly, and it seems to be more about petty point scoring than genuinely helping someone see the error of their ways. It's also worth considering the fact that the UK has no formal body that regulates the use of English language, as opposed to countries like France. The English language is also constantly evolving, so what we may consider bad English (slang etc.), will probably be seen as correct in years to come. Our language is steeped in history, and has rich and diverse origins.

I personally don't like reading badly written text, but I'm not that upset by it that I feel I have to chastise the writer. If someone does write badly, using poor grammar and/or spelling, then that's their choice. We always have the option not to read it after all.

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

please just remember the purpose of this thread was not to bitch but to help those who have questions...

14. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

No bitching, just my opinion:D

15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

It was aimed at everyone. Sorry.

16. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

No worries and no apology needed on my part:thumb:

17. boiled_elephant

I agree that in the normal run of things, grammar/puncutation/spelling nazis are very irritating. There's just no damn need for it - you keep what bothers you to yourself. It is nice to vent about it amongst like-minded individuals now and then though. You know, like racism and sexism and homophobia and so on.

Am I calling grammar nazism a baseless prejudice? Maybe. I haven't decided yet. I can't think of a good defence for it, though; people with good language aptitude who rail on at people with poor language aptitude are analogous to marathon runners who'd shout at fat people for not being able to run fast.

18. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

:eyebrow: :eeek: :hehe: :rock:

Every forum needs at least a few dyslexic grammar nazis!

19. boiled_elephant

I have a question, actually. Trying to write an essay and this is bothering me. Are apt and appropriate basically interchangeable? I'm starting to use apt instead of appropriate simply for brevity's sake lately.

20. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

There's always a bit of a conflict for me regarding "correct" use of language. Apostrophes in the wrong place and all of the other gems make me wince and get on my nerves a bit. I'm certain, however, that I make mistakes that I'm not aware of like splitting infinitives and (judging by one of the posts above) saying things like "I've got a beard".

These things can change quickly though; if you look back at book written even 40 or 50 years ago you'll see that the use of hyphens and semi colons has declined massively. For example, it is now not considered necessary to hyphenate phrases like "25 year olds".

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that bad grammar and spelling can be annoying but that correct usage is just a convention to aid clarity - so long as you can understand the other person then it's all good ;)

P.S. the above notwithstanding I sent a scathing email to Advancetek the other day because many of their catagories were labelled as following:

Processor's

Graphic's Cards