1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics The Graphics Dilemma

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [PUNK] crompers, 1 Sep 2013.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Please excuse me while I empty the contents of my brain on the page.

I built my sig rig about a year ago with the intention of buying another card when the prices came down, I'm starting to notice that I'm struggling with some newer titles at 1440p (Metro Last Light, even Bioshock Infinite) this makes me a sad panda and i want to be able to run BF4 well when it comes out.

After looking around recently i noticed this:

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc680-gtx-acetal-plus.html

My water block is going out of stock everywhere and EK only have a couple themselves, now I'm not a savage and I don't want mismatched WBs! Also the EVGA 670 Cheesecake hasn't really come down in price at all although there are cheaper option 670's.

Then I start to think that I've never really done SLI before and do I really want to or should I be waiting for newer cards with more Vram? I'd like the setup to last me a few years, I dont have a crystal ball but I'd imagine with the new console specs Vram will become more of a concern

I don't want to spend more than £250 if I can help it so I think my options are pretty much:

Buy the waterblock now and sit on it until a second hand EVGA Cheesecake comes up.

Buy the block and get a Zotac 670 OC for £180

Wait for the next gen of cards (which i know very little about at this stage), sell up and upgrade to another single card.

Just looking for some informed bit-tech opinions here, thanks in advance :cooldude:

2. rollo

rollo Modder

670 SLI is your cheapest upgrade. As you would be looking at 780 or Titan for single card that gives similar FPS.

3. [PUNK] crompers

Yep its certainly the cheapest way to go, seems to perform on a par with the 690 which is nice.

Hmm, I may just pull the trigger on the block and see what comes up in the second hand market, it'd be nice to get another evga but as long as its a black PCB card with a 680 layout that will clock well doesn't really matter. BTW can I run 2 cards with different clocks?

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Yes you can they will auto clock Down to slowest card.

I prefer to stick to same manufacture if nothing else.

5. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I run 670s in SLI and I love it. Had some heat issues this summer but that would be no issue if you were putting them under water :)

VRAM would be my biggest concern with them.

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Been running quad SLI 670's on air for a while never had any issues and the temps are good as well.

7. [PUNK] crompers

Problem is I need a 680 pcb, the standard 670 layout is short so if I went for a standard (cheaper) evga 670 they would be mis matched

8. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

9. [PUNK] crompers

Yep that's a good price too cheers, not EVGA although not too worried.

Zotac or KFG for customer service?