1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Great Paypal And Ebay Scam

Discussion in 'General' started by GBDarkAngel, 11 Nov 2004.

1. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

he wasn't going through eBay, it was a paypal "donation" to the guy, or thats what he can claim.

2. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

Thats because ebay owns paypal.

Paypal really isnt obligated to do much for him. They send out numerous email and reports on their sites telling people to be careful about this sort of thing and how to spot these types of scams. The guy pretty much included a link to send him a donation type payment, in an attempt to confuse people. You should never, ever follow any sort of payment links in an auction that direct you away from paypal or ebay, or are not related to the auction. If you are going to bid on an item or send payment, do so in the feilds labeled by ebay for payment through their owns site.

3. penski

penski BodMod

Much as I blame the tard who opens the email with 'omg_britney_spears_naked.jpg.exe' attached when his PC nuked, if people used some common sense then this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

1, it was being sold by a brand-new ebayer.
    2, it was £100 below list.
    3, the ebayer had zero feedback.
    4, the ebayer did not use eBay's 'buy it now' function.
    5, the auction used a link to an external, third party site.
    6, that link was to a donation function.

Particularly with regards to #2, "If it seems too good to be true, then it probably isn't."

*n

4. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift New Member

I can understand your ire.

Basically this is like a guy walking into "radioshack"(insert shop name here) with the stores' uniform on "selling" an "item" and then telling him that he has to go to the back for it, and while the purchaser waits he slips out the backdoor with the money.

TBH tho, you should have paid better attention to where you were being directed/wondered why he wasnt using ebay buy it now, and also if you knew where you should have Covered your own arse...

I hope you get your money, and if the auction was withdrawn the same day or the day after you paid then its a pretty clear cut, If he was using paypal to commit a fraud, you SHOULD (or the police) be able to get all of his personals (paypal has them) if you intend to press charges.

5. GBDarkAngel

GBDarkAngel New Member

Got a few mates to do some tracking on his email headers...He lives in London, I have his Home and Mobile Telephone numbers, he is of Asian or Middle East Origin and his name is Tony....Damn those guys were good...(took them 3 minutes and 35 seconds approx to get that info).
    Phoned him and lets just say he is pooping in his shoes although not admitting to anything.
    Info will be past on to police tomorrow to deal with.
    Bizarrely though Paypal are still taking the "its your own fault stance" even though a friend at Claranet has been contacted 5 times in the past 2 weeks about this guy by the police about other Paypal scams...
    Conclusion....Deal through Paypal and your dealing with an organisation that encourages Fraud...

6. penski

penski BodMod

No. No you're not.

"Deal through Paypal in an irresponsable manner and you leave yourself open to fraud" would be a much more appropriate statement. I know a few people who have had to get Paypal involved after being done-over and, of the three times I know of, Paypal have resolved any issue as quickly as they could.

Don't write libellious statements about a company because of an unfortunate experience which could have been avoided if you yourself had used a little common sense.

*n

7. penski

penski BodMod

Using that analogy, the unsavoury individual would be wearing nothing but an apron and a namebadge saying 'HELO I WERK AT RADEOSHAK' (sic) and would take the consumer by the hand outside of the store before ripping them off.

*n

8. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

So...
    a few free emailaccounts. with one is olmost 'super dodgy' lol..
    a name that sounds fake, ..

but most importantly, he has no feedback. Don't buy from people that have less then 90% positive feedback, and at least 50 sells or something. And look at his selling history aswell, if there are products alike yours. or at least intresting objects...

for example, don't buy a brand new graphics cards, from somebody that only sold ..towels.. for 2£ before.

Its a sad thing, and I'm sure it will be very hard to get your money back... just always check the feedback on ebay... thats the only good thing about ebay.. lol.

I bought about 6 things on ebay the last few weeks. all went true (2 of them have been send yesterday, so I'm waiting fo them to arrive). payment was done true paypal, for 2 items, other 4, I just transferred the money to his bank account number...

So I have his bank account number, adress, etc...

so I feel pretty safe about it. And all the sellers had at least 97% positive feedback.

be more carefull...

good luck getting your money back.

L

9. I'm_Not_A_Monster

cough, cough, used car salesman... cough cough

10. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

:duh: you just dont seem to get how a company like this operates and what obligations they DO IN FACT have. What you are saying is comparable to someone choking on a piece of pizza they bought from my restaurant, then coming back and suing me because I didnt tell them to chew enough. You followed a "payment" link (in all actuallity it was a donation link) INSIDE the auction DESCRIPTION area, not the PAYMENT area of the auction page. These areas are clearly labeled and the info that the seller fills in must only lie btween those boundaries on the template.
    Yes, what that man did was wrong. I am not going to argue that. But you seems to expect that that paypal is responsible because you don't know how to use their services properly. You can't sue a car company if you get in a wreck without a license. Read the info provided by both ebay and paypal, and you would be much more careful when you bid in the future. I have been using ebay for 5 years, and I have NEVER ONCE had a single issue. Infact the only time i had a problem getting an item i paid for through paypal, was on an actual online vendor. Paypal sorted the issue for me, and got my item shipped to me overnight.

I hope you somehow get in trouble for slandering their services. Its because of people not learning how to use a service properly, or wanting o be babied when they make a mistake that things are being made overly idiot proof, and certain freedoms we used to have are being taken away.

11. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I just think in order to encourage internet-goers to use Ebay, then they have to have a 100% clean, trustworthy record. Allowing people to exploit holes in their system is THEIR problem, and will doubtless put some people off using Ebay/Paypal. Washing their hands of you makes them seem unwilling to try to prevent internet fraud. I would have thought that Ebay would want to do everything in their power to hunt down and proscecute scammers like this guy.

12. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Agreed with everything you had to say Morphine, everything i had wanted to put but just couldnt work out how to say it but you put it straight across.

13. c.cam108

c.cam108 Member

So, it is impossible to start off in e-bay?

Everyone starts somewhere, and that is 0 feedback. If you only bought from people with high feedback, then nobody would buy from a genuine guy trying to make a few quid after clearing out his garage.

Saying things like that just don't work. I agree with you on the 90% thing, as I was looking to buy something and found that the guy selling had two positive and seven negative feedback. Is that not ust a little bit suspicious?

If everyone just used that grey lump between their ears, things like this would not happen.

[/rant]

_C

14. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'd trust someone that said something was too good to be true if they had uber high feedback more than someone with 0

15. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I aggree that everyone starts off on 0 feedback and i have bid on something in the same situation but i just would not bid on something so expensive over ebay to a person with 0 feedback, its just not my practice of ebaying i guess.