1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning The GuilleAcoustic design thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GuilleAcoustic, 23 Mar 2011.

1. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

A little update to show an idea I had a few month ago. This is a Monolithic design ... again, but it uses the best suited rad ever : the Aquacomputer airplex 840mm !

Yes you read it, this monster uses 6x 140mm fans on each side !

[​IMG]

And with its module, it combines the radiator (single or dual loop ... 70% - 30%), the reservoit, the filter and the flow/temp sensor :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All with no tubing and in a single "compact" housing. It costs "only" 320€ with the integrated D5 pump, reservoir and filter. I made a layout attemp using this combo and a mATX mobo. Here is the result :

[​IMG]

I'm modeling the front right right now, using motorized vent blades that will automatically close themself on power off and open on power on. I'm thinking about opening them depending on the water temp, having only 2 opened at idle (with only 2 fans spining) and opening the others one by one when the temp increases.

[​IMG]

Blade opening could be powered by an arduino and some servo-motors. It could also handle the temp monitoring and the fan speed (it has PWM outputs).

Maybe I went a little mad or this is complete overkill ... but I just love tall slim towers :D.

What do you think of it ?

Last edited: 8 Nov 2011
  2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Tbh, I'm not really a fan of watercooling anymore. In my early days watercooling made sense, as overclocking made a real difference (overclocking a Celeron A @400MHz to 600MHz for example :rock:), but today it's not worth the efforts anymore.
    Additionally I've lost allready three systems to watercooling-failures (leaking CPU-blocks) during the years and therefore I prefer to play it safe with aircooling these days.

That's just me tho, and I still like to watch people building good watercooling-setups ;)

With this massive radiator I'd build a desk, like l3p did it here, or something along those lines, because the case would become so huge, that you wouldn't want to carry it around anyways :hehe:

3. GuilleAcoustic

That is pretty understandable, I got these Celeron A @ 400MHz too :D. I think WC is more for the look and for GPU (they can be annoying while playing).

I've already read the whole thread, awesome work ;) .... maybe 4 of them would made nice feets :hehe: (800mm is around the size of desk feet).

Here is a quick SU to show the idea. This is a very raw dress, but I wanted to have a first look at the setup

[​IMG]

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Four of those rads as desk-feet.... OMG :rock:

I think you could run the system completely passive with four of those rads :brrr:

Anyways... I think it's too big as a standalone case, allthough the idea is good. I'd still prefer one of your previous Monolith-designs, especially the one with the exposed res in the middle. ;)

5. GuilleAcoustic

I called this one : Project Core. I'd love to build it but I'm sceptical about my skills ... but maybe I should give it a try. The design is almost ready to be built.

6. GuilleAcoustic

I need a precious advise. I'm not feeling like throwing away my current rig as it is still enough for my need, but I'd like to shrink it down.

I have an opportunity to get this Commell mini-ITX LGA 775 motherboard for 80€

http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/SBC/LV-678.HTM

It supports the core2Quad up to FSB 1333MHz, 4GB DDR2, 2x Gigabit LAN, 6x SATA 300, 1x PCIe-16X and 1x mini-PCI (I found an adapter mini-PCI -> 2x PCI 32bit socket ... nice for sound card).

http://www.amfeltec.com/products/minipci-to-pci-adapter.php

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Nov 2011
  7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Onboard-sound is good enough for a PC imho, but that's a decision everyone needs to decide for himself.

Additionally, I never do upgrade my older systems, as I think it wasted money. I'd rather save up and built a complete new setup in the future, if your rig is still powerful enough for all the tasks you throw at it.

Yes, I'm a boring and rationally thinking person in such questions :hehe:

8. GuilleAcoustic

Yes and no. I'm using an AKG K701 headphone and I am planing to build full range floorstander horn speakers. The source quality is very important.

I get your pointThis was just an cheapo upgrade to shrink my rig (moving from mATX to mITX). I already have everything else (Q6600, 4GB DDR2 Kingston, Asus 5870, Corsair HX520). By selling my XFX mobo this could make a really cheap solution.

So am I :D

9. GuilleAcoustic

What about this one ? This is the mini-ITX version of my core design (central exposed reservoir) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a quick design with no details and a "boxy" dress. It housed a mITX board as well as a 3x 140mm rad. What do you think of it ?

10. GuilleAcoustic

Night everyone ! I started to make the dress for this design, and to be honest I feel like building it. So I will polish it more and more.

Here is were I am so far :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front grid is composed of blades connected with threaded spacers :

[​IMG]

I hope you all like it. Stay tuned :D

11. asura

asura jack of all trades

I'd have thought that on board sound wasn't good enough for your end goal... so using the PCI for sound would be a must - check to see if there's any information whether that board works with PCI multipliers, I've a Jetway mITX which distinctly doesn't so I'll be having a 4port sata2 card in my mini server/jukebox rather than decent sound :(

Tube within a tube? CCFL in the inner tube nice and dry, water all around it held in by the outer tube; would need some shrouding to stop the spill of light going forwards and ruining the projected image, but it could be a way of getting low level illumination in a specific part of the room.

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The grill is a bit overcomplicated imho. Why not simply use a threaded rod and simple alu-spacers between the fins. On top and on the bottom simply screw the whole thingamabob together that it sits tight.

And for sound... Have you considered USB-soundcards?

13. GuilleAcoustic

@asura sama : I've seen this lovely frozenQ reactor reservoir (the one with the cold cathode), less seen that the double helix one.

www.aquatuning.fr/product_info.php/info/p11593_FrozenQ-Reactor-Core-400mm.html

This could do the job, but it is pretty expensive.

@JRS sama : I was going for the rod + simple discredited at the begining, but I was afraid of two things : vibration and misalignement of the spacers if the inner diameter of them doesn't tightly fit the diameter of the rod. Even a half millimeter shift would result in a non straight line.

The solution I went for isn't that complicated, it uses simple round PCB spacers.

About usb sound card, yup I have thought about it ... optical DAC could be nice too and would provide a galvanic isolation, thus preventing ground loop. I think a fiio or a little dot would do the job to begin with, before I finish the schematic of my burr brown one :)

Last edited: 10 Nov 2011
  14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'd probably use the copper Aqua-Computer radiator and have no grille at all. Show off that coppery goodness!

15. GuilleAcoustic

Trust me, I've already seen it, I'm drooling each time I see it :brrr: :brrr:. Plus you can join them together using their connectors, their modular air-plex series is truly amazing. With the integrated D5 and filter it requires less tubing. I'll consider that solution. But 314€ + 70€ for the frozenQ 400mm reactor reservoir + 90€ for the Asus 5870 V2 fullcover block (only EK makes a fullcover block for this non-reference card) + 80€ for EK supreme HF nickel WB :wallbash:.

The cooling will cost me more than the case + the complete rig, why am I so enthusiast :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going for a dark wooden case with inserts of anodized aluminium (didn't choosed the color yet). I still have to think about the PSU mounting. I currently have a Corsair HX520W but I find it a little too weak for my current config (Q6600 + Asus HD5870 V2). This Asus card is a beauty but requires at least 40A on the 12V rail (and the Corsair I have delivers only 40A), plus it needs more power than reference 5870 (8pins + 6pins instead of 2x 6pins).

Maybe 600/650X would be better. I'm looking at the Seasonic X650 PSU, fully modular and 80+ gold.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2011
  16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Hmmm... I think I see that design work with a half SSI board too... Mo' money! :p

17. GuilleAcoustic

Yes it does :waah: ... stop tempting me :waah: ... that's cruel :waah: ... Mo' money :hehe:

18. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

I'm intrigued by that pump assembly you're showing. can you post a link to that?

19. GuilleAcoustic

20. asura

asura jack of all trades

I had been tempted by the idea of making my own version of it - I'd seen some of his other reservoirs and it gave me the idea separately (but not first, I just hadn't seen his CCFL product) of having a CCFL down the middle; except I don't like tube res's, I was going to get a length of square tube for the outer and run it the full internal height of my case. However' it won't fit any more as the internal layout has changed around a bit...

Universal block for the GPU? I'm in lust with Ybris's block...