1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music The Hi-Fi thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by Edge102030, 30 Dec 2009.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I must have followed some dodgy links, as looking it up points me to places trying to sell it for £2400, and there's no way that can be right, surely.

2. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

@Thestockbroker & @mister_tad yup they cost £2400 but i work for Bose :)

@mister_tad they do virtual surround sound too, so its quite the selling point for my bedroom

@Thestockbroker true i may be able to get them, however as i work with the 235 day in and day out ive become quite accustomed to it. i have a soft spot for it ^^

3. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Edit: Ninja'd

That being the case, enjoy them Hirezo!

4. Mister_Tad

No, no. That can't be right. Sorry.

Of course I'm being facetious, but it just staggers me that the likes of Bose think they can slap a £2400 RRP on a compact 2.1 system. But I suppose it shouldn't.

What staggers me more is that there are actually some favourable reviews out there, too, though they do all seem to share my "How much? Who again? How much? Again? Really?".

5. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

lol, @mister_tad i know my companies products arent to everyones tastes, and some people may prefer to tweak their systems sound to exactly the way they like it but for my needs it does really well :)

@thestockbroker thanks :D

6. Mister_Tad

I'm concious that my post may have come across as dickish, not intentional. You must know of the rep Bose has amongst "audiophile" circles, though I do wonder how many people have ever listened to one of their systems recently. I must confess I'm tainted by a by hearing a couple of pretty poor acoustimass systems in my time that retailed in the £2000-2500 range (and their holier-than-thou owners didn't help), though that was perhaps 10 years ago and I've not heard anything since.

If the reviews of the 235 are anything to go by, you should be very pleased with your new toy, enjoy! I hope you got a healthy staff discount, too :thumb:

7. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

you didnt come across that way at all, i just can tell you guys all seem like audiophiles :) lol and ive heard many different opinions since i first started working there ^^

however i can agree with you because they pay us to be totally honest, im not a big fan of our accoustimass systems. they definitely have had big upgrades since you last paid us a visit.

if its the best we can offer you, for home theatre id suggest to have a listen to our v35 but for purely studying the music and enjoying definitely check out the last gen of 901's.

the main reason i enjoy my job there and havent left is because we're never pushed to sell anything. one thing i should let you know is that we dont work on commission, so if you ask us a question we'll always be honest :) if you lived closer to london id tell you to pay my store a visit and i show you around.

i still wish i could get it for free lol

8. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Pathos Classic 1

ProAc Response somethings. Possibly D15s (vastly superior to the D18 that replaced it).

9. Mister_Tad

I'm not a "lifestyle" system sort of guy really, nothing to do with Bose, just not from any vendor. A few Sonos S5s scattered throughout my house is about as lifestyle as I get.

I rate the 901s. Incredibly odd design, but somehow works. I have a friend that used to have a pair, but not sure what series they were, just remember that they sounded pretty good. I've actually got a pair of 301s, kind of. They're ~4000 miles away at my parents house though.

One and a half eCookies for you good sir.

Response 1SCs. I auditioned the Tablette Signatures, the 1SC and the D15 - found the 1SC juuuust right.

10. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Really need to hear some ProAcs driven by something that isn't Naim, as certainly in a fairly recent audition the combo was muddy and indistinct as hell.

BTW, if you are free on Sunday, you really should get yourself down to http://www.thehifishow.com

11. spazmochad

spazmochad Minimodder

How'd you do this? The glossiness is something I personally don't like all that much on mine.

How you finding the UD-H01? Mine has a tendency to choke trying to play from Foobar via WSAPI :(

12. Mister_Tad

I'd recommend giving them a listen on either ClassicOne or a Unico of some description - indistinct is about the last thing I'd expect to hear from any Proac speaker. I've never really rated Naim kit, but then I've never heard an end-to-end Naim system, where I understand it's at its best, just the odd component here or there.

I might actually head down, at least it's pretty local. I'm in the market for a new DAC so could do with getting the lay of the land.

13. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Well I have a Unico!

Naim speakers are particularly dull and generally woeful from my auditions. Not heard the Ovator line, but comments from those that have are that they have continued Naim's rather poor speaker tradition.

If you do head down, I'm exhibiting in Syndicate 2 so pop in and say hi.

14. Mister_Tad

Ooh, magical. Which one? You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't have a home audition of something from Proac. I auditioned the the 1SCs (and the tablettes and the D15s) with the Unico... P? (I think - whatever the middle one was cost/power wise around 7 years ago) and it was a great combo.

It would have been a better all-rounder than the Pathos, which isn't particularly suited to brash rock/metal or anything bass-heavy (which represents a notable percentage of my listening), however everything else on the Pathos/1SC combo was simply amazing - acoustic/vocal/electronic is just unbelievably good. Since I'm fortunate enough to have an alternative system which is especially suited to brash rock/metal, the Pathos won out for me.

15. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Starting to get an upgrade itch with my audio setup again...

Considering either the Fostex TH900 or TH600. Price disparity isn't exactly small between the two though. :(

[​IMG]

16. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

The Audio bit is an ARCAM AVR-350 with B&W LCR7's Left and Right CWM Cinema up front and some B&W Celieng mounts int the rears (I forget the part number there the 6" ones with the directional tweeter) and there's an Artcoustic Sub and poweramp under the sofa.

[​IMG]

The cable coming out from the TV is for the Skylanders portal.... it was my daughter playing honest!!

[​IMG]

Top to bottom its

HTPC (needs some serious work think it's a core 2 Duo!)
    Denon 1907(ish) running B&W M1's in the Master Bed
    Sky HD box and Squeeze box
    Xbox 360
    Toshiba Blu Ray
    Crestron CP2E
    Arcam AVR350
    Apple TV, HDMI matrix switch and various other bits and bobs.

17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

$1000+ for a pair of headphones :worried:

I recently dusted off my allmost 20 year old Sennheiser HD445 and refurbished the cushions, as they were really worn out.

These older Sennheiser are not as dark as the newer models and actually quiet nice. They cost some $100, if my memory serves me right. Quiet expensive back then.

The cables are only plugged in, and you can still get replacements :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Tangster

Some would say the same thing about £800 graphics cards and yet we have at least 3 of them owned by forumers. :D

Besides, the TH900 is gorgeous. (Might still commission some custom wood cups for my D2000s from this guy: http://www.martincustomaudio.com/)

Do Sennheiser still sell the HD445 pads as well?

19. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Here is my audio gear. Slightly different to the other equipment in this thread

Spec is as follows:

- 6 x Turbosound Floodlight TFL-760H (180hz - 20khz three way active)
    - 4 x USB twin loaded 18" kick section (75hz - 180hz)
    - 8 x Labhorn Subs (30hz - 75hz)

[​IMG]

And the amp racks to drive it all.....

[​IMG]

Tangster likes this.
  20. Tangster

You sure bring the boom! :thumb: