1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'General' started by OneSeventeen, 30 Apr 2005.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

For those of you who have read the book and seen the movie, I understand how you might be feeling. Probably much like those who heard the original radio broadcasts felt when they were put in book form.

Douglass Adams wrote the script along with the help of some other guy I forgot, and they did a good job. It has the characters and "world" of H2G2, but about an hour of stuff not in the book/radio show. Douglass probably did that for marketing purposes, not to mention the fact he's probably heard the story so many times and wanted to be entertained by something different! :p

For those of you who have not read the book:
    It is an entertaining movie for those who like silly movies with short witty quips here and there, not to mention the occasional slapstick. For those who expect a lot from movies and get bored very easily and quickly, you may want to wait for video.

I myself would watch it again in a heartbeat, but my wife definitly won't be offended if I don't take her along :p

2. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

It was an awesome book. It was a fun movie. They share the same title and most of the same characters. I'll leave it at that. I did think that Alan Rickman stole the show as Marvin. They got that one down absolutely perfect. Even my wife enjoyed it, and she normally rolls her eyes at things that I go wild about. Oh, and it was fun to meet the middle-aged balding guy in the front of the line in a bathrobe with his towel and 'Vogon' M&Ms.

3. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I just saw the movie. I've never read the book, saw the TV shows, or heard the radio shows. I knew the basic premise of the story, but never got around to reading it. The movie seemed really weird, albeit I think it will be more appreciated by fans of the book and shows. My mom thought it was really odd and my dad left in the middle to see another movie. :p
    However, after the first half, I started to get into it (I think this about when I started understanding what was happening :p). It reminds me a bit of Monty Python in the sense that it's really kooky in it's own type of strange humor.

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I thought it was an amazing fil :) My particular favorites were... :)

- So long and THANKS, for all the fish!
    -

BA
    BA
    BA
    BABABA
    BA
    BA
    BABABABA
    BABA
    BA
    BA
    BA
    BA
    BA
    BABABA
    BABA
    BA
    BA
    BA
    BABA
    BABA
    BA
    BA
    :)

- the vorgons (with special thanks to jim hensons workshop :))
    - ALAN RICKMAN, is there no end to this man's talent ?

I thought it was amazing! As along time fan of the book, im glad it turned out this exceptionally well :)

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Fantastic movie, although they didnt explain the towels though, or the salt needed for the journey, but they did do really cool Improbability drive things: the bit where they turned into wollen dolls was great :D
    "He's gonna be sick!!"

6. Silence

Silence What's a Dremel?

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and whilst i saw that they were missing bits here and there, i think it would have got quite messy and long if they had crammed everything into a 2 hour movie!

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I was shocked to see Mos Def could actually act.

The 'cart' thing that transported them around the factory floor.. acted like a ghost train was good.

8. dozer

dozer What's a Dremel?

you liked it? they chopped the crap out of the dialogue, where was the funny?

9. Annemarie

Annemarie What's a Dremel?

I thought it was an average film, amusing in parts but not funny.
    Ford Prefect was really bad and Zaphod was only ok.

10. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Tbh I thought it was an excellent movie, ive read the book many a time, and no movie is ever going to live up to its book, because there completly different, and unless its a very short book, its hard to fit everything in, personally I think they did an excellent job considering, and all the actors seem to fit there parts fine (Ford probably was the only one who could of done better).

- M@

11. gargoyle

gargoyle What's a Dremel?

Yeah a 6/10 for me.

It seemed like a good portion of the jokes had their punchlines removed. Why mention only cheese to Slartibartfast when mentioning 60s sitcoms is that much funnier. No mention of babelfish being proof of God's existence and thus the cause of his demise etc etc (wouldn't want to offend the bible belt would we).

I'm happy with the differences between the radio show, tv, books etc but the film just seems to go in horrendously PC ways. I know they go on endlessly about Douglas Adams writing the screenplay but it was also written by Karey Kirkpatrick who has such stellar successes as "Honey we shrunk ourselves" under his belt. Adams died 4 years ago and I would imagine there was more than a little bit of rewriting between then and filming starting/finishing.

Having said that it is funny in places and the Magrathea shop floor is awesome.

12. K

K 528491

They've started the series on BBC2 again. Right now in fact. Oh my!

Going to see the movie tomorrow. Woo.

13. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Wasn't that impressed tbh. Some bits were ok and the effects were decent in places but much of the funny stuff, mainly the books narration, had just gone.
    So much of the radio play, book and original TV series was the narration and this really fleshed it all out as not a lot really happens story wise.

I found myself wondering how much longer it was going to go on for about 3/4 of the way through. :sigh:

It just seemed a little cheap. I really think they should've gone down the route of Doctor Who and just remade the series with a decent budget - they could've left all the good stuff in then.

Oh and Zaphods second head was a complete cop out!

14. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Agreed, wasn't that impressed, but I have a plush Marvin on the way from my GF!!!

Marvin was the best bit tbh.

'doc

15. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Alan Rickman was just perfect for the voice of Marvin :). I didn't realise that it was Warwick Davies (Willow, RoTJ, Harry Potter, etc) inside the robot itself....

I did like the way they slyed the original Mavin into one of the scenes.

They should've made so much more of Bil Nighy (Slartibartfast) though.

16. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

i saw the movie last weekend, and while i did enjoy it, i would not pay to see it i the theatres. Personally, i prefered the BBC production i got to see once.

17. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I actualy read all the books years and years ago, i don't remeber a thing about it. I do have a little clay character I made based off the book cover. I guess I should go see the movie.

Last edited: 5 May 2005
  18. Annemarie

Annemarie What's a Dremel?

I am watching the Tv series at the moment and it follows the book to a greater degree, really enjoying the Tv series. It was ok at the cinema, but it was a let down.

19. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Lets face it, alan rickman is getting close to immortality with his perfectness for every role he takes :)

need i remind people of (obv not, but i want to anyway, to show my dedication to the post!)... :)

- Die Hard <- where he played the german ring leader of the bust up!
    - Dogma <- where he played the voice of god!
    - Harry Potter, Galaxy Quest, Robin Hood

What a guy :)

20. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

If you missed the towels... you didn't watch the end credits...