1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage The HP Micro Server Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tibby, 22 Nov 2011.

1. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Behind the living room tv, right next to the cable modem :)

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Mine are on the right of my desk on the floor, in front of my 2nd network and ML115

3. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Oh I thought I was being stupid having mine near my gaming rig

4. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

Bought my 54L the other week due to my motherboard refusing 3TB drives (even through add-in cards). Wish I had done it sooner, great fun.

Installed Windows Server 2012 (Overkill but free copy) on the 250GB HDD. Added my 2x3TB HDD's and a 2TB HDD. Setup SMB shares and VPN, works like a dream, even on the 2GB ram supplied (will upgrade later). Plan to mod the bios to install an extra 2 HDD's when I'm close to running out of space.

She's currently living underneath the stairs with my router and 24 port switch, makes me grin every time I go in there ;)

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Nope it's what all the cool people do, will uploads some pics later

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Mine lives in a modified bookcase in the home office, acting as a print server for a POS inkjet AIO and a Brother label printer. That among it's lesser tasks it performs.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I keep mine next to my router, but because I wanted gigabit ethernet between my desktop and router, it doesn't live far from my desktop.

My understanding is that WHS gives easier management, there is a control panel program that integrates with many things. Also provides easy OS backup for networked Windows computers.

Update on my problem. I logged the temprature, it goes to 90c and I think it's a protected shut off. So I swapped the fan back and seems to be fine. No noise change, so I'm going to be swapping the PSU fan in the near future when I get my hands on a soldering iron.

8. flame696

just updated the bios so i can use the SSD in AHCI mode and have RAID1 running.

Maybe i should of gone down the WHS route...... what should i do now??

9. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

What do you want to achieve flame696? What OS were you heading for and what is you plans for the Microserver - we can help only by knowing more about what you are trying to do :)

10. flame696

I'm trying to create a storage solution with the server. I want to be able to access videos, photo and documents. I'm running windows 7 64bit

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If that's all you want, then just make a shared folder or whatever, done :)

Last edited: 25 Jun 2013
  12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Flame, if you are happy with your current Win7 setup, don't change because people on the internet says so.

I'm regretting getting this Microserver at the moment. Sure it's more powerful than Synology box, but it's noisy, it uses up too much power and of all the time/effort (time=money) I've put in, I could have just bought an upgraded Synology box or use the time/money to do other stuff.

£90 for the box, £10 for the 120mm fan, £10 for 40mm fan (still BNIB), £70 for WHS + drive rail + 4GB RAM => £175. Who knows, if the 40mm fan didn't work, I'd have to spend further £90 on a picoPSU.

Currently debating whether to go back to Synology and enjoy hassle free NAS-ing for 2 years like before. Or install my new fans and continue to tweak it. The undocumented 90c instant shutdown was not expected and have reduced my confidence in tweaking it. With original fan, the NAS works fine.

13. flame696

I'm very happy with windows 7 I have setup sharing and I've got it working with my nexus 7,gaming rig, and htpc just doing a bit of tweaking and will get utorrent setup and xbmc

14. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

The differences between Win7 and WHS for your uses are pretty small really, you can install a client on each PC that will do automatic backups to the server, but I'm sure software could do that for you. You can also setup a webpage to access your content and DLNA streaming straight off, but all of this is possible in Win7 anyway with some tweaks.

I only went with WHS as I got the copy for £20. Simple really :/

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Forget tweaking it, just find a new location for it if noise is really an issue.

16. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

So I recently bought the n54l with the cashback offer and have got whs 2011 to install onto it. I have put my odd into the microserver and when booting it up it says cd boot error: No DISCMGR. Any suggestions?

17. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Attempting to boot from the wrong disc at a guess? Have a look at the
    Boot priority in bios

18. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Have done that and set for cd/dvd for trying that or for a usb stick when trying to load the os via usb and neither work :(

19. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

Anyone know the best place to get a HP Microserver from at the minute? Seem to be about £130 after cash back now link

Do you think it is worth waiting until after the new year to see if they put a different offer up?

I have been reading that you can run Synology DSM on them and if you flash the bios you can run use it with 6 disks.

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Has anyone tried out the above yet?

20. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

I would wait, they seem to have a cycle of having a £100 cashback deal then a £50 cashback deal...if you're not desperate then I would wait.

I got mine for £96 after cashback in September. Couple of my colleagues at work got theirs few months earlier in the £70 range after cashback. We all got in on the £100 cashback deals.