1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iFail- wait sorry, iPad, is officially out

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkLord7854, 27 Jan 2010.

1. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

It's a 'convertible tablet,' as opposed to the iPad which is a 'slate tablet' and convertibles with removable keyboards, which are 'hybrid tablets.' (Not that 'it's on Wikipedia so it must be true,' but they're sold under those descriptions too.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_PC

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

That just has to be the most ridiculous statement ever made :)

Cost vs. features? $800 for an oversized iPod touch with internet access? 'Cause that's all it amounts to.

3. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Because I have an iPhone and from what I've heard so far, the main difference with OS 3.2 is that apps can be coded to fit different resolutions - it's not exactly changed much! You'd have thought the increased screen real-estate would have been capitalised on, but instead the number of icons on the home screen is unchanged. It really just does seem like an oversized touch.

Obviously the Apple brigade are well aware of just how restrictive the OS is because the fact that you can change the background picture was mentioned... and this is something we always used to be able to take for granted, not one of the first things that gets mentioned at a high-profile, highly secretive (even if highly anticipated) product announcement!

Besides size, this brings nothing new to the table (pun!) - and I'm comparing it to the rest of Apples line up.

4. Pookeyhead

ahem.....

I'll just leave this here.

I know which I'd buy.

5. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

agreed... I have an Ipod it does its job well. Do I need a really big Ipod to go in my oversized ogre pockets? I dont think so..

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

So.. Yeah.. Erm.. *Drool*?

If they can launch that at the price of the iFap, I'll be the first to buy it!

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

That looks hawt.

8. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Now that looks like it has potential.

9. Pookeyhead

Well.. this thing has been talked about for months now, but let's hope it appears soon, and is not dropped in favour of something that tries to "copy" the i(Panty)Pad to try and lure fanboys... because then the Macboys will shun it because it's not a Mac... and everyone else with a brain will do the same because it will be rubbish.

If they go ahead with it as it is... then you'd have to be certifiably insane to buy the iMaxipad instead.

10. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

And the award for biggest iPad fanboi goes to.......................................Pookeyhead.

You know you love it dude ;)

11. Pookeyhead

Release the hounds.

:D

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

you see jobs come out with it.. he looks good for all the treatments.. dunno about this thing- like viao overpriced big time.. but that's how they keep em I guess

13. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Wow, someone came close to getting an e-reader right!

PROS:
    - 9.7in screen. (While its not the size of a sheet of paper yet (8 1/2" x 11"), which would be ideal rather then these ridiculously sized e-readers we have now.)
    - Touch Screen. (Unlink the Kindle, Sony e-reader, or that one with more keys then a piano, this is more like Barnes and Nobles Nook E-reader. Smooth, modern design, like most Apple products. It LOOKS awesome.)
    - WiFi/3G (It can connect to the internet. I don't know what Kindle/Sony charge-- Nook is free inside Barnes and Noble. $30/mo for unlimted Wifi? I'd probably drop internet from my phone then honestly.)
    - Keyboard Support (I can't imagine anyone really having something urgent or dire that HAS to be typed up that would make them use THIS device, but that support is there is nice.)
    - HiDef Video (This is just cool fluff.)
    - Full Color Screen (E-Ink is nice, works well for traditional e-readers, but this is nice to see.)
    - 10hr battery life (Someday when a device can run full power for 25hrs, we'll stop caring about battery life, because it will charge while it sleeps. Still 10hrs? I don't think most of us read books, magazines, etc for 10hrs at a time.)

CONS:
    - $500 for the lowest model compared to $350~ for higher e-readers. (Sure it has a higher hard-drive capacity compared to them and a full color screen, but I think I'd rather see an 8GB/Wifi model for $350-400 then this. When the cost drops, or the specs raise on the second generation, I'll buy if I haven't found a better e-reader.)
    - No flash support. (While I think most people use their e-reader to read and not to web-surf-- when you toss in a "real" screen, expectations rise. If you touting up Wifi/3g + 1024x768 resolution, people will probably expect Flash support of Youtube or such. Maybe it was for all the vulnerabilities adherent in Flash.)
    - No ports. (No real need for Ethernet, but USB could have been nice. 64-in-1 card reader, if its not there, should be too.)

NOTES:
    - This is not a computer. (If you go into this expecting iPhone/iTouch is now a computer, you're wrong. It can play cellphone games, watch videos, play basic music, browse basic web, but it is first and formost an e-reader. Nothing more. The second you try and hold this device up to the standards of even a netbook, it becomes a joke, proving that its not a computer, just an e-reader.)
    - The above does not make this a bad machine. (The developers and the news might have misjudged what they were making and who it was aimed at, and Apple products are always 20%+ higher with usually about a 3rd of the features. The Apple iPod (no FM tuner, requires iTunes -- stuff $10 MP3 players have.), MacBook Air ($1200 for a netbook.), and the list goes on. Like always, the hipsters, and the tech-elite will buy this up. Just like the iPod/iTouch/iPhone. And they will love it. Then the rest of the industry will catch up and make devices for the rest of us, with even more features. (Think of all the full touch-screen phones that came out after the iPhone.))

Conclusion? This a good attempt, and it'll sell like wild-fire. In 6-12 months we'll see something better. Maybe the 2nd Gen by Apple, most likely by someone else all together.

14. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Interestingly it appears that currently iBooks is US only, with no indication as to when it will be extended to other territories or even if it will be before the iPad launches.

15. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

- Nice one!

Our opinion? iPad = iMeh - QFTW

I have said before it would be a crappy overpriced, overhyped and over useless brick.

The creative nomenclature department from Apple needs a sacking, iBrick should me more apropriate

16. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

i think there is an opportunity for magazines (eg. Custom PC) to start selling digital copies again. A device like the iPad would be ideal for such things.

17. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

P.S. - I don't know what the "i" stands for since iPod. Maybe "innovation" but Apple might really want to consider dropping it soon. They have literally almost i-ed everything. And what they haven't, peripheral companies have.

Top of my head:
    iPod, iHome, iDock, i<animal> (dances to iPod music), iMac (and eMac), iPhone, iTouch (iPodTouch), iPad. I don't know if their proprietary Mac keyboards, mice, and headphones are i-ed or not.

18. Pookeyhead

Exactly... $500 to $800 for a e-reader that plays iPhone apps and plays media.

You've just hi lighted the very reason why it's a total, steaming pile of manure.

Keep up the good work :)

19. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

I like to read mine in real life... too many things are becoming virtual and I for one think ebooks are utter crap. Im a tech addict with the best of em but I will never buy an ebook,e-reader or any such crap and when the nuclear war comes and all your e-readers have no power I will sell books for food and be king of the world.... mwhahahah

20. Pookeyhead

LOL... agreed.

Books are sacred. I like turning the pages... I like the smell... I like libraries. I like book shops.