1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iFail- wait sorry, iPad, is officially out

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkLord7854, 27 Jan 2010.

1. flapjackboy

flapjackboy What's a Dremel?

How exactly does 'bigger screen' == 'much better level of interaction with the web' when it suffers the same limitations of the iPhone OS that its younger siblings has? If it can't handle Flash because Steve Jobs is afraid it'll take revenue away from the Holy App Store then it's not really a better level of interaction is it.

Unless the iPad brings something to the web browsing experience other than a bigger screen to the table that the iPhone/iPod Touch can't offer then you can't really be justified in saying it offers a much better level of interaction.

2. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

hmmmm, though this might happen on the book front.

from ipad site
    Story here

Considering how long it seems to take the uk/euro publishers to agree ebook rights, this might take some time, so hopefully you've all got US registered cards to set up itunes with?

3. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

4. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash - record is broken. Please turn it off. If it comes to the iTouch / iPhone / iPad, so be it. If it doesn't, I won't loose any sleep over it. I don't miss it on my iPhone. Why would I on an iPad?

Surely being able to see more of a page = better interaction? Does in my book. Less scrolling around.

But anyway - you're entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else. You obviously don't like it, Apple or Steveo. Great. Doesn't change my mind at all. ;)

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Oi, that hurts man, i had nothing to do with the iPad :)

I'm not sure what the fuss with flash is any site which relies on it i generally ignore, i don't even have flash installed on ff.

6. flapjackboy

flapjackboy What's a Dremel?

I never said it wasn't better, I just don't believe that it provides enough of an improvement to warrant this product existing and for the prophet Jobs to be using such terms as 'magical' to describe it when all it is is a bigger iPod Touch. Are we going to see it in the new Harry Potter film, I wonder?

Fighting the Dark Lord? There's an app for that.

7. Shuriken

To be honest, even though I think the iPad looks crap, I hope it and the iPhone/iPod Touch kill off flash once and for all. It's slow, buggy, CPU hungry, and coding in actionscript is nothing short of torture.

The only thing I miss about flash on my iPhone is streaming videos, and quite a few of the major video sites are offering non-flash alternatives now.

8. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

I've not read most of this - but the recent 'more interaction' posts - I'm with GOO on this one, it's bigger, so you can see more of the page at once, you can use multiple hands so it'll be much easier (possibly easier than with a mouse?) to navigate.

If they come out with some apps that let me control a media centre from it (and lets face it, this is a pretty likely scenario) similar to Air Mouse on the iPod etc - then I'll be sorely tempted.

RwD

9. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

imma wait. but i might just get an adamo instead

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Well.. let me answer this as a photographer.

First... I wouldn't rely on ANY on-screen image to asses a shot... on camera, or iPad... as neither is calibrated, and I'll probably be in far from ideal conditions to view ANY LCD screen.

Secondly, I prefer to rely on my skill.... the skills garnered from shooting on film... remember that? :) No preview there.... you waited until it was processed. You had to get it right, and that's what separated the men from the boys. We have short memories do we not? :) Photographers have been producing stunning images on film for over 150 years without being able to see a preview.

Thirdly, if I was to use the on camera screen to asses, it would not be by looking at the image anyway - I'd be looking at the histogram. I don't need a iPad for that as the camera's screen is actually ideal.

Fourth. If I was to carry something that stupidly large around with me on a shoot, I would probably take a proper lap top instead, as the iPad's connectivity is woeful. How exactly am I supposed to connect my Nikon D3 or Hassleblad H4D to it? It doesn't even have a USB socket! The whole point of taking a laptop with you on a shoot is to actually shoot tethered, and edit on site... not to look at pretty pictures on a bigger screen.

As for e-readers being nearly as expensive as a iPad..... huh? You can get a decent e-reader for £200... Scan do one for £160. Anyway... e-readers have a proper screen that can be read as a piece of paper can... in direct sunlight. In fact, the brighter it is, the easier to read. The iPad is a backlit LCD like any other computer device, and therefore render it useless as a e-reader. You couldn't sit on a beach in bright sunlight with it for example. And it's too damned big! Decent e-readers fold away so you can put it in a a small bag, or in some cases, your pocket.

I bet your batteries will run out before the end of the third chapter of any book you read as well.

Utterly useless device.

Well... Do I think I'm too clever to spend at least $500 on a big iPhone/iPod Touch? Yes... yes I do. :)

Why are people also complaining about this thread? Isn't that was a general discussion forum is about?

Last edited: 29 Jan 2010
  11. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Useful for the iPhone... but iPad?

I think it's appropriate to repost this about now :)

13. skpstr

skpstr What's a Dremel?

I was drinking a mug of tea when I read this. Messy! :)

14. Shuriken

Holy ****! Holding it closer to your face really works!

15. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

16. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Your command of the english language to form a coherant and decisive argument renders me in nothing but awe.

Well done.

As for the voip thing, seems in the iPad simulator in the SDK there's a "touch to resume call" bit which could be interesting...

17. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I lol'd. In class. F***.

18. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

That's probably just because Apple can't be ****ed to remove it from the iPhone OS they are using....

:rolleyes:

19. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I actually LOL'd for real at that :lol:

20. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?