1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics The Intel ARC thread.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 22 Jan 2022.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Most of which will be in laptops.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Well I did think it would be spread across laptops and workstations but are laptop GPUs classed as 'discrete'?

I guess if they're not in an igpu they probably are.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I think there's a distinction between mobile parts and discreet GPUs - but from what I've read they've muddied the water a little with that announcement and a sizeable portion of that four million will be allocated to laptops.

4. adidan

Ah ha. Was thinking that until I saw the 'discrete' wording but it's probably smoke and mirrors stuff.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

6. adidan

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Looking pretty swish.

Oh god don't start that again :lol:

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

My expectations for ARC are low but the presentation still left me feeling a little disappointed...

while 4m isn't nothing, iirc amd and nvidia were shipping 12m per quarter between them in 2021...

9. adidan

True.

Nice to see prices coming down and stock available even if it is still an overpriced market.

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Based on experiences with the GPD win 3 XE graphics I wouldn't hold my breath. They will eventually fix some things that don't work (Destiny 2 comes to mind) and give some performance updates, they will still lag behind were they probably should be with the few optimisations that make it out. While I can also see these being better supported than XE, I can easily see the drivers being the biggest weakness of Intel Arc.

Only catching up on bit and pieces but did they mention anything about ensuring they don't end up in the hands of miners or scalpers and actually into computers?

I do expect a flood of hardware to hit the market. Some miners are dumping hardware that isn't profitable or wanting to get something back some of their investments as it does look the price fell quite quickly last month.
    With any luck the extra supply could bring prices down further, certainly second hand wise. I do see Nvidia maintaining or slowing the release of current cards and focusing on the very high end. Keep maximum profit per card for new stock until the second hand market consumes itself.

11. RedFlames

'better than an intel IGP' and 'better than intel's graphics drivers have been' are still low low bars to clear.

If they're any good at mining, miners will get their hands on them regardless of any effort on intel's part. Though intel is/was rumoured to be making a Mining ASIC too.

EDIT: linkydonk - https://www.anandtech.com/show/1721...led-bzm2-built-on-7nm-137-gigahashsec-at-25-w

Last edited: 31 Mar 2022
    javaman likes this.
  12. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Issue is intel taken so long over this they are 6 months to a year too late imo.
    There top card is supposed to be about RTX 3070 level but due out Q3, which is when the RTX 4xxx will start been shown.

More options and more competition is always a good thing but this would of been so much better 6 months ago.

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

In fairness the Radeon 5x00XT was quite late and quite far behind (no RT, slightly inferior rasterization), the 6x00XT was a bit late and a bit behind (inferior RT, comparable to better rasterization). I'd expect the same trajectory for Intel, just enough to remain competitive until they catch up.

14. adidan

I'd just like a good upgrade from my 1080 that doesn't require 50000W of power and costs a kidney.

That said at least lower end seems to be coming down in price, £410 for a 3060 12Gb this morning (not great but the right direction)

Arboreal and SuperHans123 like this.
  15. RedFlames

Also iirc Intel has straight up said they're willing to buy market share...

...so whether that means selling standalone cards dirt cheap to get them out there, or Intel going full Intel and using their leverage to put ARC in as many OEM boxes as they can get away with... [or some combo thereof] remains to be seen.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

They dont have to compete at the top end, they just have to be "good enough".

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

An interesting watch:

It sounds like it will cause some ripples, but probably on the scale of a heavy book falling off a table rather than anything more seismic. I hope the driver team are on their A-game.

18. RedFlames

How Intel's first big GPU Launch has gone thus far.

[​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Aye. Time they come out mining will be dead LOL.

Lots of GPUs at a time where the shelves are the only thing sagging.

20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

I think intel are going to put ARC in every laptop and OEM desktop they can and maybe abandon the idea of discreet retail high end cards for the enthusiast. Apparently china is HUNGRY for mid to low end cards so intel releasing in china first makes sense for them. Easy sales.