1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The Internet of Things gets some government cash

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 13 Jan 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt New Member

2. Necrow

Necrow New Member

What has Radio Frequency IDentifiers got to do with this? (Toll toad tags, clothes tags etc..)

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Everything you just said. The Internet of Things is all about monitoring and tracking: being able to track your stuff is key, and RFID is just one of the ways that's possible.

See also the old Violet Mir:ror and the Oxfam RFID trial.

4. Bakes

Bakes New Member

How big are the companies involved? A grant of £500k in total could well just be political posturing if they have more than a few employees...

5. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Well-Known Member

Ahhh...internet zero.

I posted about this about 3-4 years ago, and got zero replies. I was wondering when the world might catch up...

6. Bakes

Bakes New Member

FYI this isn't necessarily internet 0, which would explain why you got zero replies. Internet zero is a different method of reaching a similar end. Linking up standard household devices to the internet has been a goal for many years. I remember talk of smart fridges which tracked use by dates etc back when my age could be written in a single digit.

7. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

RFID isn't just about tracking the location of an item. The tags can also be equipped with battery powered sensors to log data elements such as temperature at set intervals. So when a temperature sensitive crate of perishable food arrives at a particular destination, the item can be scanned and the data log retrieved to ensure that the food stayed within the appropriate temp range throughout the shipping process.

Tags: Add Tags