1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iPhone 4 / iOS Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 7 Jun 2010.

1. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Isn't that obvious? Shorter contract = quicker upgrade.

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Sadly. No other members of my family actually have smart phones or have data plans to receive email/use facebook etc with :(

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

you only plan to use the phone for a year?

i've used my previous Sony Ericsson phone for 2 years, and my current iPhone for just under 2 years. Apple's 1 phone a year is way too frequent considering its price. i plan to use this new iPhone 4 for at least 2 years.

always thought shorter contract means faster to get to cheap 30 day tariff. but those tariff usually doesn't include mobile data, so might as well stay with a long contract.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you know you'll want it for 2 years I'd go for that.

Personally I hate long contracts because most of the time my phone won't last 18/24 months, they're just not built to last tbh. The other thing is that personal circumstances often change in a couple of years, not everyone knows how things are going to go. :p

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Fixed. :)

My 3G has lasted 2 years with nary a scratch. ;)

6. wyx087

cheers, 2 year contract it is.

i often can't decide on trivial stuff. :p

7. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

On the other hand... I had my 3G replaced due to a crack on the back near the dock connector (In fairness to apple, it was well out of its warranty, but some judicious application of the Sales of Goods Act worked wonders)... annoyingly however, within a month of getting the replacement... managed to scratch the chuffin' screen. Colour me annoyed.

Also I've gone through no less than 5 dock cables, and I need to get on to Apple again to replace my current one for the same issues.

Tesco mobile has really thrown a spanner in the works though.. I'm still interested to see what T-Mobile come up with, similar for Three.

Also worth considering that due to Double Clubcard points on phone purchase and triple on monthly bills... you'd get about £18 a year (if you never went over your allowances) in vouchers... which surely must be something to take into account.. as they say, "Every Little Helps"

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Just what do you guys do to your mobiles?!?

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Compared to some folk I'm actually quite careful, but by the time I get to 18/24 months my phone is dying or dead.

The current one (Nokia something) continually drops signal while you're trying to talk to folks, incredibly irritating.

10. ChriX

ChriX ^

Anyone got any info out of Voda about upgrades? I'm not on an iPhone tarriff at the moment although I have a 3G, it has 2 months left to run. Am so happy I got a 12 month contract as the phone I got was terrible (HTC Magic). They e-mailed to say they'd be taking orders in the morning so will give them a ring.

11. Lorquis

The crack in the back of my first one was a stress fracture which was a known issue with apple.

The scratch however, was due to me keeping the phone in the same pocket as something metallic whilst at work..

And with regards to o2 Upgrades (not what you asked but y'know) they said absolutely and categorically no to any lower price for upgrades (which is a bit shitty when you consider they will give you £150 to your billing account if you re-up before now)

12. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Remember with o2 it can only be done on o2 upgrades through certain companies as well as orange and that's when they arrive.

Vodafone you can do upgrade or new contract but if you want to transfer your number to vodafone from another network make sure you walk in with a PAC number otherwise you will lose that number

13. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I don't quite follow you.. I'm sure I can sign a new contract, get my PAC from the old one then transfer the number over?

14. Lorquis

Yeah afaik you can transfer number after you get the phone, they'll just issue you with what will be, to you at least, a temporary number at point of sale. Then just wait for the number to transfer over and it's all good in da hood.

15. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I'm on my 5th iPhone 3G 16GB :)

First had a broken Accelerometer when I got it (O2 replaced)
    Second was stolen (insurance replaced)
    Third had a dodgy silent switch (apple replaced)
    Fourth the screen went flashy colours (apple replaced)
    And I'm on the 5th :)

And I was told by Vodafone that you HAVE to have the PAC code when you take out a contract, they don't change your number after.
    Was also told by O2 that upgrade tariffs will be identical to new tariffs.

Heading to my Local Voda at 8am Tommorrow to get my 32Gb Black :) £35 a month + Insurance

Last edited: 23 Jun 2010
  16. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Hmm, some bad news hitting the net ...

I got the above after reading a 350+ post thread on MacRumours, which got the info from Gizmodo. I hope either this is faked or Apple sort it out!

17. wyx087

that antenna problem is a design fault, just buy the bump case you should be fine. (what i plan to do)

i still haven't gotten my PAC code, hope Vodafone can transfer my number after purchase, i am using PayG at the moment, not contract.

18. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

The queue at my local store is insane. Should have got here earlier!

19. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Hmmm... that could be a deal breaker for me depending on how the issue is handled and what competing Android phones are available come September

If it's a design fault Apple should provide the bump case. I think having to buy an extra rubber case just to have your £600 phone work properlly is ridiculous.

20. wyx087

well, it is expected for external antenna. all part of human have attenuation and making a resistive contact for 2 seperate antennas will always create a problem.

hope there isn't a queue at Bristol store, heading there now.

on a seperate note, i'm feeling like Fry: "shut up and take my money"