1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ The Iron Turnip--6-2019-complete. final pictures on page 29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 18 Jul 2014.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm here to do some dusting...
    A brutal series of combos has left me off my butt for a long time now. I'm finishing up the 3rd vacancy mentioned above, and there's another eviction in the court system.:( I happened to be stuck home today, and found some un-posted updates on my camera.
    -not much, but it's something.
    How does this forum thing work...
    [​IMG]
    -That tube I milled 1/4" holes in was so I could tap this 1/4" purple rod into the holes. The tapered tube to the side is with the mounting plates that attached it to the case MANY MONTHS AGO.
    [​IMG]
    -Here that is sanded down smooth.
    [​IMG]
    -I was still trying to remove the chrome from the faucet tube.
    [​IMG]
    -For that I needed some flap sanding discs. I could buy some God-awful expensive Dremel ones, or... Yeah.:D
    [​IMG]
    -A little cardboard backing and I'm ready to rock.
    [​IMG]
    -A little side mod I did to a crappy tool design. The battery attachment point disintegrated due to the violent tool vibration. I made an extension cord.

To disgust you, or give you a vague idea of WHY I have been gone so long:
    [​IMG]
    -Check out that sweet paint work! This is vacancy one, somewhere in 2016. They honestly thought they could paint over the filth.
    [​IMG]
    -This is my current project immediately after the scoop-shovel squad finished up. Feral cats, rats, raccoons in the attic, and a hen in the garage. Drugs are bad, M'kay?

-Hoping to do a real update someday. Think of this as a postcard from limbo.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2017
  2. Cown

Cown Minimodder

OMG! I hope you get payed accordingly :eeek:

3. Cheapskate

:lol: Who's going to pay me? That one is ours. :(

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

My flat looked like that when I moved in. I've done quite a bit of work to get it reasonably presentable. Still, the rent is £120 less than it is in similar refurbished flats so hey, we'll take it..

Sorry you got screwed though dude. At least they're out now. Good idea on the sanding disc. I will probably nick that at some point :) got me some alu oxide cloth paper too.

5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

The forum at its best, highlighting the ingenuity of a member to overcome a challenge without going to the store to buy an off the self product.

Cheapskate your sanding disk reminded me of the following video:

6. Cheapskate

:lol: I guess that one way to get around exploding grinder discs.
    -I wonder if that can remove lime scale from tub tile...

7. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Go straight to acids. I use 38% HCL for bathroom cleaning,bloody effortless.

8. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Heh, I used some Poly Zag to remove some rust stains out of a shower tub once. The fumes wafted over the copper pipes for the baseboard heat, insta-green!

9. Cheapskate

@Bneg - I would too, but there's things like tub chips, (what the hell do you do in a tub to chip the ceramic anyway?) and that metal thing called the drain fitting. I've had to change out fixtures that had been turned black and peeled the chrome off because someone poured toilet cleaner on the tub and left it.

10. Andreas | Brodholm

Andreas | Brodholm Minimodder

This is a super cool project. I have been so busy with all my crap that I have basically had no free time to look at the other nice builds. This one is really interesting! 5 out of 5.

Love the milling action you got going also ;)

11. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

love the tube progress!

yikes, at those tenant pics... :eeek:

12. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys.
    My milling is mediocre and you know it. :lol: I'm glad you had a look and like the rig, though.
    -Bill, get back to the mill. :p

13. Andreas | Brodholm

Andreas | Brodholm Minimodder

I think you are doing a really good job with the milling actually! If the end product looks good then you have done a good job! :)

14. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Man I love this

15. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys. :D @Andreas - A lot of sanding can fix anything. :lol:

My major projects are done for now, and I've had some time off... and I have no idea what to do with free time anymore. It feels weird.
    -anyway, a real update! Ooh, LaLa and stuff!
    [​IMG]
    -I had no idea where to restart. I know there's a ton of electrical to work on, but in half a year, I've lost track of the great plan.
    I got started just doing little bits that would eventually get used. Here I'm milling out the inside of an old printer motor housing.
    [​IMG]
    -Here it is flattened and hollowed. The original plan was to make a USB port out of it.
    [​IMG]
    -However, Holy Cow! USB3.0 has a fickload of pins! I didn't think that would fit. I also didn't want to go near that kind of wiring as rusty as I am now. PLAN B
    [​IMG]
    -Add to the junk list part of a Moen faucet cartridge. Somehow I only got one shot of it through the process. I bored through the screw hole into the 'barrel' and added one of the LEDs from the fans. I'm turning that motor housing into a gun turret looking thing.
    No, a laser LED is out. This thing will be facing me some day, so no death rays.
    [​IMG]
    -To go with that, I'm adding smaller 'barrel' with the big one. I've swapped out a ton of these brass sink drain assemblies lately. They were meant to last a lifetime, but that's not in tennant time. :lol: This is one of those levers that makes the drain pop up. A little ghetto-lathe time and we get...
    [​IMG]
    -This. That's as far as I've got on this part.
    [​IMG]
    -I wanted to play with some tiny mill bits I've been picking up. This first batch of cuts was with a 1/16" bit.
    [​IMG]
    -Now for the real fun. This is a 1mm bit. My blind butt can't see this thing clearly with a jeweler's magnifier. I went with 2.5 inches per minute, 4500rpm, and a ton of air spraying.
    [​IMG]
    -Not bad, and by that I mean I didn't break it. I know a guy that swears by the .5mm bits, but he burns through them like matches and buys them in bulk. I asked him what he used for stone, and his response was, "more bits." :(
    I'll pass for now. I'm Cheapskate for a reason.
    [​IMG]
    -That said, of course I was too chicken to drill the wire holes all the way through the part. I had to make a drill bit to finish the 1mm holes. RIP paper clip.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's the part cleaned up a bit after drilling.
    Off topic: You might like the white backdrop. I wanted to see if PVC glue would work on PVC-based trim board. :D Here's a great potential material for a case. You can make a reservoir-frame-tubing case monster. *hint
    [​IMG]
    -The pre solder wiring arrangement. I had to chop two sections out of the ring to fit it. See below for details. :hehe: These are 3mm LEDs.
    [​IMG]
    -Testing.
    [​IMG]
    -I had a little trouble ageing the brass. The oven cleaner I used worked great, but purple? There's also the fact that the machined bit was a different mix of brass, and wasn't affected at all. Some half-polishing, and selective chemical application got me the results I wanted.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's the part all together and lit. The LEDs fire downwards through the darker purple.
    [​IMG]
    -That's it for now. Have one more blurry pick. (I swear I thought it was just my eyes.)

Thanks again to my incredibly patient sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Jul 2017
  16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

:clap:

Hurrah it's back. And the ghetto lathe is in action :D

17. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Good luck remembering your design plan. Keep up the work.

18. Cheapskate

Thanks. :D
    I realized I have enough junked drills and copier rails around to make a dedicated ghetto lathe. I don't think I'll be wasting my time on it, though.:lol: Ghetto third axis?
    @ Dr.coin - That's the great thing about not having a plan. I can just work on individual components until something needs to be done about integration. Looking back, trying to do the integrated circuit thing first seems stupid.

19. asura

asura jack of all trades

Let the awesome improvisation begin!

20. Cheapskate

@Asura - something,something, need Jesus, something...
    Who's been at the tags? :lol: Sneaky comedians!