This project is brought to you in collaboration with the following companies Mod Zoo Munky PC Case badge designed by Cheapskate! http://mnpctech.com/pc-case-badges-en/mod-zoo-munky-case-badge.html I have been threatening to do a salvage build for some time now. I've lost track of how many times I was asked why I was named "cheapskate." I swear! Do a few high-budget builds, and everyone forgets the cardboard bear. Sadly, my stockpile of old denim that I had saved for "ghetto carbon fiber" disappeared when I wasn't looking, so I will resort to metals. I have a fair amount of stainless steel thingamabobs, and lots of aluminum. It's quite possible everything including the kitchen sink will be used, (as I have at least five of those at the moment.) The plan this time around is just to use as much junk as possible. The first option will always come from my garage, or my attic, or the woods behind the subdivision. There's going to be hammering too! I love to beat the sh*t out of stuff with hammers. This will be a very therapeutic project. -I settled on this sucker for my primary container. I'm hoping to chop it down as much as possible. This is an old stainless steel soda syrup container. I'm sure anyone who follows me knows I pick up weird stuff from vacant houses. It's unbelievable what you find sometimes, and you have to wonder what they were smoking to steal/keep one of these. -Wait, I kept it... What was I smoking? -The first thing that had to happen was the heavy rubber end had to come off. I wanted something vaguely BOMB-like for the look, and that squared tail wasn't working. I had to sharpen the chisel anyway, so some heavy rubber chipping happened. -I made a glorious mess. The pliers were because I found the rubber could be torn easier than it could be cut. -I had to switch to a rasp closer to the metal. -After an attack with the sander, I found metal. As soon as I saw that seam I was worried it would look like a thingy. I appropriated a few aluminum pans for possible re-cladding. - I have to get inside somehow, so I chopped the top off. Here I've hack sawed a start just above the top weld seam. This promptly went outside as it was already smelling like a drag race. For using the jig saw, I made the mistake of sitting on the tank to keep it steady. .01 seconds of ultrasonic vibrations to my nethers later, I decided that was a bad idea. I also had to explain that the exclamation I made wasn't because I had cut myself to everyone in earshot. I did NOT tell them why I suddenly did a Rob Halford impersonation, though. -This shot should have captured the white smoke of burning rubber wafting out of the tank. It didn't. -It looks like I can fit a 650W power supply barely. I might look into small form factor power instead. -There was some flower arranging, only with computer parts. I decided the radiator I had laying around was too big, so that's the first item I didn't get to use salvage for. -I resorted to a cardboard mockup of a 2 x 140 radiator. I think I'll center two 120mm fans on that. -Say hello to restaurant heat shield. Apparently, If enough people drop a part because it's hot, the welds on the shield break, and someone throws it away. It said it was hot. You would think they would know better with that big warning on it. A small eternity after this pic was taken, I drilled through the stainless steel rivets to remove the sign. -Tough little b*stards! -A little SMACKIN' with a ball-peen sledge, and it matches nicely. Big rubber doormats make a good anvil. I have a bit of microwave surround in the pic for possible use too. -I drew up a fan hole and sawed. -and sawed. -and SAWED. Did I mention cutting the top off earlier dulled a NEW jig saw blade? I resorted to a hack saw since it was much quieter than ringing this big metal drum with a power tool. -No, that's not a reference to my earlier junk oscillation. -It took forever to dremel a start hole in the flat cuts. I had to use one of these horrible things: a hack saw blade holder. It's amazing how many times you can bend a blade without it breaking. -Like this, I can have the radiator flush against the inside wall, and have more room for other stuff. Bending was done with a really big crescent wrench. -Here's the other reason to use only 120mm fans: They fit the heat shield perfectly. With a little slap, she fit and stayed in place with a friction fit. -That's where I'm at now. I have nothing lined up for hardware, and only a vague fuzzy feeling about where I'm going with the design. I gotta make stuff FIT first. Looks come after.