1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ The Iron Turnip--6-2019-complete. final pictures on page 29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 18 Jul 2014.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks. I don't understand either sometimes. -wait, that's bad. There was supposed to be a repair tutorial in the last post.

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

We love you, cheaps! Thanks for keeping the entertainment up around here.

Dot_Kappa and Vault-Tec like this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The best mods ever are the ones where you have absolutely no idea what's happening. Then all of a sudden *click* and you go "ohhhhhh, so that's what it is".

4. Cheapskate

I'm glad you guys like it. :D If I went for continuity, I'd have to wait 6 months between posts to build up the content.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  5. DÈF¥âÑt¸.·´¯`¤

DÈF¥âÑt¸.·´¯`¤ Well-Known Member

I pretty much can't go out now without seeing a part of this mod somewhere ...... always brings a smile to my face tho :D

Vault-Tec likes this.
  6. kim

kim hardware addict

This is a real original mod, an amazing and complicated build, I'm one of the silent followers (till today :grin:), and I rush on every update, waiting patiently it's achievement...:dremel:

7. Cheapskate

Aww, Thanks guys. It may kill you to know I wasted a whole day of free time trying to reclaim some desk space. :lol:
    As for part diversity, I'm deliberately looking for odd shi* to add now. It's turned into a mission.

8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Active Member

A noble quest, one which I need to undertake.

9. Cheapskate

Desk space was lost once again.
    [​IMG]
    -A half tube of liquid nail was dropped in my lap. I took advantage of that to glue the new part on.
    [​IMG]
    -I realized a junction box would work better than trying to slip long wire connectors into the tube. The top left corner connector was scrapped from a floppy drive to power 12 and 5 volt connectors. The 2 backwards connectors are 5 volt. The 4 pin is for the fans, and the 8 pin in the front joins the control connections.
    [​IMG]
    -There's still a few solder bridges that I had to file out in this pic. I'm still getting the hang of using reading glasses. :(
    [​IMG]
    -So that needed a backing. I rescued this plastic tape case from the recycle bin and got to hacking.
    [​IMG]
    -@Mosquito & @Maki role - I've seen you flashing the fancy chisel kits. Have a look at this former doorstop / gasket scraper / boot cleaner I found. :D Yes, it's as sticky as it looks.
    Since this is ABS, I knew I could shave it down faster than I could sand it. The scrap of plexi is being used as a depth stop.
    [​IMG]
    -Perfect. :D I made a second one and fused them together with acetone.
    [​IMG]
    -Intermission- Check out this China-tastic screwdriver I found. What do you call this type? Inverted flat head?
    [​IMG]
    -I re-greased this 1962-ish sander so it could replace it's crappy modern replacement.
    [​IMG]
    -OK, Back to the show. If this thing gets any more bomb-like I'm in danger. The high LED content is sure to arouse suspicion from the Boston Bomb Squad. :worried: After months of intermittent wiring I thought it would be good to see if it still worked...
    First try: No fans, and about 3 seconds of life. I didn't panic since there was no fire. :lol: I've seen catastrophic failures. I obviously just had something else wrong. I was pretty sure the fan issue was due to changing the wiring plans twice. Sure enough, the jumper I made was still mirrored so it could plug into another fan header. The boot issue I figured was based on the KVM. I didn't have it plugged into it before, so It must not have liked it, and I just forgot.
    TLDR; I swapped I/O cables, and it all runs.
    [​IMG]

-I'll leave you with this. All that UV from the Turnip really makes the Ion Cube pop. I should swap out it's lighting for UV.
    Next up, I have to drain and get that back panel off for more port cutting.

Thanks again to my sponsors:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TodMod, neSSa, Dot_Kappa and 5 others like this.
  10. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Staff

I'm so beyond happy to see this still going you know, haha

Vault-Tec, Arboreal and Cheapskate like this.
  11. Vault-Tec

This build is an institution.

12. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

And Cheaps should be institutionalised :hehe:

perplekks45 and Vault-Tec like this.
  13. perplekks45

We didn't blame him for literally everything a few years ago without having good reason to do so.

14. DÈF¥âÑt¸.·´¯`¤

DÈF¥âÑt¸.·´¯`¤ Well-Known Member

It's called a false economy. A lot of modders seem to support it :thumb:

15. Cheapskate

Thanks everyone, 'cept you, Crapman. :p :hehe:
    @Maki role - It's getting closer to done, but I need more junk to weigh down the back.
    @Vault-Tec - I didn't plan on a multi-season franchise, but people keep breaking stuff, and the author hasn't written the ending yet. :worried:
    @The_Crapman - I am QUITE sane. It's the other parts of me that are messed up.
    @perplekks45 - That movement lost it's momentum as soon a Kylevdm found a girlfriend.
    @D...copy paste broke. :lol: - What's the economy where you get a free drill every other year? My dad got on a mail-order kick at one point. I had a ton of junk like this. I'm pretty sure he was just ordering out of boredom.

The_Crapman likes this.
  16. Vault-Tec

I don't want it to end. I'd be really sad if it did lol

17. perplekks45

I know, but we had reasons. That's my story and I'll stick to it.

Anyway, keep up the work, please. Just an amazing journey, mate.

18. Cheapskate

Thanks again. :D
    I'm sitting on a design that will cause drool flooding if I can build it, but first there's a mountain of specialty plastics to use. The wild ride will not end. :D The wait is killing me.
    I should also mention I swapped the fans to the CPU header, and the pump to the chassis fan header. The result was that the pump went from 4700 rpm, to about 2100, and is nearly silent. I'm not sure why the PWM suddenly started working after the flip.

19. perplekks45

20. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Active Member

Love it. Plus this is one of the few mods where the hardware doesn't make my system look antiquated. Currently rocking an A10-7890K system.