1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals The Joystick Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 27 Jul 2014.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I've barely given it a spin, but I love it! SO MANY BUTTONS! I feel it's made for people with humongous hands though - on the joystick, I have to actively reach for the hat switches.

The throttle is ridiculous - there are THREE hat switches for the thumb. I've set one up to do the up/right/down/left strafe movements and will figure out what to do with the others in time. One thing I love though is the throttle pinkie dual switch thing - I've assigned it to forward/backward strafing. But damn, having a big, chunky throttle makes me feel a bit powerful when I shove it forward.

I've only messed around for a bit in freeplay on Star Citizen, but it's surprised me how quickly I've got used to the set up - manoeuvring with ease now! I'm going to play around with the axis response curves as I think I want to move away from a linear movement.

2. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

The table is indeed from Ikea, and dirt cheap. :D
    (the picture actually links directly to the product in case you were interested in it)
    I had the same sort of thing in mind of potentially using the frame of the stand to custom build a platform for mounting the peripherals.

That's not too bad then if you can toggle the switches slowly to reduce the volume of the click, I guess people in most videos might be changing the toggles fast to excitedly show off the function.

I think I'd be down for being the guinea pig for mixing up the stick and throttles for two different brands, I'll probably end up buying the Warthog combo pack and the CH Throttle.

I'll do a bit of a write-up when I end up buying them around Jul/Aug, it would definitely be good to get a side-by-side trial of a few of the throttles with how they function in a variety of games... I find a lot of reviewers on YouTube focus on the general feel & design of the devices and sometimes how they work in a single game but they don't really look at versatility for a selection of games.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2015
  3. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Same issue here, the stick hatswitches aren't really usable if trying to aim at the same time. I use the top one for target selection and the lower for power distribution, though I'm debating changing that.

Also find I'm getting wristache which I think is partly due to using the twist for rudder and partly the positioning. Ordered a set of Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals today. If my chair moves when I'm using them I'll buy some castor cups to put under the wheels.

Think I might knock up a prototype of this over the weekend with some old wood I have lying around. :dremel: See if I can get the heights and dimensions right. Then maybe speak to a fabricator in my village about a steel version and see what it would cost.
    [​IMG]

I'll need to alter it to work around my rig which sits under the desk to my left, and I want the stick on the right hand side as it is in game, the rhino doesn't feel comfortable to me when centred, and having things located in the same places as they are on screen should aid presence when I get a rift.

Just need to work out what to do with the hotas when it's not in use :confused:

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I'm running the Warthog stick with the X52 pro throttle. It works well enough, apart from the X52 throttle being very short on useful inputs (e.g. the two big wheels that do nothing useful). Might try slapping some buttons and an analog pad onto it and hooking them up to an Arduino (the 32U4-based ones can act as a HID joystick) before splashing out on another throttle.

5. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

That's great to know, the X52 throttle will likely be in my list of ones to experiment with.
    I've not found much of a use for those dials on the X52 throttle either, they seem a bit wrongly placed to be useful and a few games don't seem to pick them up as something you can map an action to.

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Cool. See, it is very easy to used to it. I think it took me maybe half an hour in Elite and remembered all buttons, specially playing in DK2, when I cannot see the stick or throttle.

Happy gaming!:thumb:

Wheels are useful in stars map, you can zoom it in and out, cool stuff.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Does anyone know how I can get my X55 throttle to work with X Rebirth? I've looked around but am not having much luck.

8. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

*Furiously scribbles notes*

9. GMC

GMC Minimodder

10. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Yaw pedals. How have you set up the axis? Pushing right foot forward to turn left feels more natural but how are planes set up. Anyone know?

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Personally I'd have it set to pushing right yaws right. Plane setups all go out the window in space.

12. GMC

GMC Minimodder

tried that first but turning right whilst my body contorts to face left, ie my left foot comes towards me, just felt odd.

13. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

[​IMG]
    http://quest.nasa.gov/aero/planetary/atmospheric/control.html

I would guess issue with it feeling unnatural is because it's opposite to this:
    [​IMG]

I figure right to yaw right is what you would expect using differential thrust though.

Last edited: 2 Apr 2015
  14. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Thanks. Sticking with inverted. Feels more natural. More thrust on right engine = yaw to left

15. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Okay, after two days I'm concluding pedals are not for me. Not enjoying the feel of it and its not getting more natural. :( set likely to be in the marketplace shortly

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Pedals are awesome :(

As an aside, mine are inverted. My brain just cannot deal with the "push right forwards to go right" thing.

17. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Glad I've not got a uniquely weird brain then :)
    I want to like them but my feet dont naturally offer the yaw inputs whilst pitching and rolling that I now realise I use ALL the time.

18. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

What are you playing with them, Elite? If so, probably the worst game to try with as yaw is so slow as to be unusable.

19. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Yeah, elite. But I use yaw far more than I thought and cannot get the hang of us in pedals with the kind of instinct that I have with my hands. Led to a few near misses in docking :eek:

20. GMC

GMC Minimodder

In other news, got my hotas stand (homemade version) built now. Just needs painted to cover the fact the construction includes various odds and sods of wood lying around in the garage. Can stick up some pics if anyone interested?