1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Kraken & Linux v7 client?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 28 Aug 2012.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Hi Guys, anyone know of any instructions of how to install the Kraken on the v7 client for Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) I am getting shockingly crap PPD at the moment so want to give this a go and see if it improves PPD...

On the v6 client you just install the old Kraken into the fah folder and wrap the cores but as the v7 client lives somewhere else within the Linux file structure, Bin/Usr folder or something then im not sure how to install it, can't see much online after a quick Google so anyone know how to do it?

Cheers for any help :thumb:

2. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Member

Not used it, but will be using it this weekend. :D

Found this from the developer, but not sure about A5 cores after reading it...

3. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

ive used it on the v6 client with great success but i couldnt find the files with the V7 client :(

i wonder where the files are?

4. Slowlemon

Slowlemon New Member

Hi Chaps

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient

This is the default install on Windows 7, I don`t have any machines running Linux. I should think if you know where to save the files then you can just follow the Guide on [H].

5. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Not sure why anyone running Linux on a multiprocessor machine would want to use V7 ?

Presumably you would be wanting to maximise points and thus be hoping for bigadv or bigbeta which are A5 cores.

Whatever PG say, in my experience 6.34 is more efficient than V7. Apart from anything else it does not have the overheads associated with FAHControl.

For Linux the folders you need are hidden but in your home directory. Turn on "show hidden files" and look for .FAHclient The directory structure is slightly different to 6.34 but if you drill down you will eventually find the folder containing the cores.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2012
  6. Slowlemon

Slowlemon New Member

Hi Coolamasta

FAH V7 in Ubuntu 12.04, the directory is /var/lib/fahclient. I have compiled thekraken but it will not wrap the a4 core. I get "problems occurred during wrapping, no wrapping performed (code 2)" Has anyone got this to work?

7. Slowlemon

Slowlemon New Member

Hi All

I have got this sorted now. Follow Muskys guide at [H]ard forum but when you get to step 5 replace
    Code:
    cd ~/fah
    thekraken -i
    with
    Code:
    cd /var/lib/fahclient
    sudo thekraken -i
    You can check where the client is located from FAHControl. Click on the system info tab then scroll down and look at the entry next to CWD.

8. Slowlemon

Slowlemon New Member

Bigadv on V7

To run bigadv projects on V7 in Linux you need to add two slot options to the SMP slot.
    Code:
    client-type = bigadv
    max-packet-size = big
    Note: bigadv will not work in Windows.

9. kirk46

Really :jawdrop: :(

10. Slowlemon

Slowlemon New Member

Windows

Hi Kirk46

Apparently the Windows client uses a 32bit core and the Linux client uses a 64bit core. Because bigadv can use more than 4GB of memory the work servers will not give bigadv to windows clients. If you are using Windows OS then run a virtual machine with Linux.

11. kirk46

cheers for that :)