1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The Lair *56k users youve been warned* MAJOR UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by alternate.eago, 10 Nov 2004.

1. alternate.eago

alternate.eago What's a Dremel?

I've been reading these forums, and this site for a while. I also have seen some relly good mods, and some really poor mods. There is one that really sticks out in my mind... is's still not finished yet... so here is the link for those of you who have not seen it yet: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=65676&page=1&pp=20

This ongoing mod has inspired me to do one on my own. It is an entire room mod. This mod will consist of 1 - 3 computer mods, several woodworking projects, and a bunch of furniture modifications, plus some other stuff that i am not sure of yet.... As I am a teenager, and currently unemployed...(I'm looking, but it's difficult when you can't drive yet :waah: ) I'm some what..restricted in what I can do. However, because my dad, brother and I are such packrats it wont really be all that difficult to find neat stuff to mess with and put in my room. I've already talked to my dad, and he said I have free control over my room, except for painting, changing flooring, and any mayor structural changes...(...darn! :grr: so much for knockng down part of my wall and conecting it to the upstairs bath...), and due to my lack of funds, i have a budget of a couple of dollars, and what ever else i can convince my parents to give me or whatever i find along the way... lets see what I can do...

Here is what I am working with: A large room, bigger than the master bedroom, with two walk in closets which form out an odd nook around the front window, and apart from that its a rectagle Here is a poorly drawn sketch:
    [​IMG]
    You can see what I was talking about...

Anyways, here is the before pics, explanations will be below each 1 so dont worry if you cant quite make out what they are. Sorry for the poor quality cheap digi cam, and poor lighting :blush: .

[​IMG]
    Here is the outside of my door...why this is up here will be explaned later.

[​IMG]
    Here is the view from the door, you can see my futon, and the sideboard in the hall, also you can see my crapsman**oops i mean craftsman toolbox, my boombox old-lady style wallpaper, and some art.

[​IMG]

This is the ethernet coming in to my main rig. This etherne is just strung along the top of my wall and is held up with some black electrical tape. Getto? I'de like to think so. Plus you get a blurry close up of the old-lady style wallpaper, and you can see part of my stickey notes... can live without them, doesnt matter what color.

[​IMG]

Yeah its an UNMODDED dell (yeach!!! dell). My dad says im not allowed to cut it up or take it out of the case because it works so I should leave it alone... there for it will for the time being remain stock :sigh: . But the specs are pretty good:
    p4 2.4 gig ht
    512 ram
    80 gig hd
    Xp Pro sp2
    cd rom drive
    cdrw
    deul monitor setup
    And the price FREE!!! Yep, my friend was just gonna thow it out b/c f hard drive failures, so i took it... :D , so i poped in an 80 gig hd and got a free comp! I named it malice.

[​IMG]

Here is the increadibly blurry picture of malic's duel monitor setup. On the dresser, is the other computer's (Linus') monitor.
    [​IMG]

Which brings me to the computer that will be getting a modded case, It is named linus. I've been meaning to put it in a case, but just havent done it yet....note the getto cantenna to boost the wfi signal coming from the hall closet... :naughty: that is my baked beans mod... lol Linus' specs are:
    AMD Duron 1.3gig
    256 ram
    dvd rom
    cdrw
    cisco wifi card i pulled of a scrap machine w/cantenna
    WinXp sp2
    120 gig hd
    After I get the pvr card, and a new sub/spkr set, This will become a media center pc.

[​IMG]
    Here is a pic of lappy, (my laptop) closed in it's usually at home position, in my bed!! Below it is open, and you can see how close the futon/bed is to the industrial shelving unit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here it is, the ulgyest light fixture i have seen in a while, oh wait thats my room! I will eventually change that during this mod.

[​IMG]

Closet door, and the other night stand that are right nect to the door.

[​IMG]
    Increadibly blurry picture of the other closet,the door i removed, becuse the track broke, the tool box is righ next to the closet.

[​IMG]
    The nitch with the window, crappy desk which my neighbor gave to me (he was just gonna throw it out!! :jawdrop: ) And yes that is a cardboard cut out of cindy crawford w/ a coors light! (FREE from a bar, I know the owner :D )

More Updates to come! Will show the mods as they come! So keep checking back! Again sorry for the blurry pics, had to turn the flash off, b/c of the poor lighting conditions, and i really dont have a steady hand...

Last edited: 16 Dec 2004
  2. porkashi

porkashi What's a Dremel?

looks like it has soem erm potential?

3. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

It does have some potential, that's absolutely true. First you get rid of the wallpaper right? ;)

4. Ph33r Viper

Ph33r Viper What's a Dremel?

I just setted up a dual monitor and it's damm sweet. currently got my 17"inch monitor and family computer 15" inch monitor coz my family computer PSU is dead so needs replacing badly so next week i will have dual 17"inch flatscreens ;) :rock:

Your dell is nice but for FREE is awesome! dual monitors is awesome is well.

Got a free Desktop Laptop keyboard worth AU $55. friend didnt like typing on it so foggged off him and some minor PSU molex mod i done also.

My Modding project will commerce at chrismas hopefully coz i finish Yr 12 and 10 weeks holidays but that may come short coz i wanna be an IT Technician.

Nice plans dude :)

My keyboard is an Coolermaster Gear Keyboard. model EAK-US1.

Aluminium top as well.

Ph33r Viper

5. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

ADMIN: can you please restrict this forum to be a COMPUTER modding project log?? or at least electronic. peaple are posting their refurnishing for christ's sake! :duh: :duh: :duh:

this is the fourth log i have seen here, where the "modding" involves the fixing of lamps, painting of walls etc..

I begg you please do something about this. eventually you could make a new forum callesd refunishing...

6. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Mate, please buy a tripod. Or learn to take decent hand held photos.

As for the rest of it, good luck with the mods :D

7. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Did you drink a lot of coffee or Bawls before you took those pictures? They're headache inducing. :eeek:

8. alternate.eago

ok, since ive been asked to restrict my mod to electronic/computer related so i'll have to tone it down a little, And To Anwer the first question, yes I did have alot of coffie, I was wired!! Anyways...back to the mod...the first thing i did when i got bored was to help with airflow. Now when you tal about airfow, most people think that you are restricted to just a compter case, however i am mdding my entre room, so i just took down my door. I never use it and I really couldnt close it due to the cabling coming through the top. I replaced it with some plastic latice that i found in the shed.This is about waste high, and is only to keep the dogs out...dust, doghair, and stuff they chew dont exactly mix well with computers. :idea: Now that I have increased the amount air coming in to this room, i might be able to get some cooler cpu temps...plus it was fun :D ! Here is a pic, and yes i did take it last nght when i was wired...where is that stupid tripod?

[​IMG]
    This is from the inside of my room...my whole house is so messy :blush: .

9. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

everything looks a mess, those photos are so damn blurred.

10. alternate.eago

I also forgot to mention that i came up with another ne of my poorly drawn sketches. In my bedroom, over by my dresser, I have some slid wood cabnet doors that I pulled out of a dumpster... I finally decided that I was going to do some modding to 1 - 2 of those also, they will probally be made in to laptop workdesks. I will build a set of legs around the bed, put a set of castors on it so it rolls easily, and possibly wire an led light in to it, for late night typing :naughty: . It's gonna pretty cool... espicly if I can wire a plug directly in to the top.... plug everything in w/out having to lean off the bed to find an outlet... Anyways here is my increadibly poorly drawn sketch of the structure... the wireing will come after I actually buid it...

[​IMG]

I dont think I am going to use 4x8's tho. I will proballyuse 2x4s or something smaller. I found some slabs of marble i could use on the bottem so I wont tip, because the doors that will be used on top are pretty hevy... more later, probally today... I will start outlining the plans for the desk....might build a computer into the desk...including lights window.... mabie some extra suprises...

11. alternate.eago

I'll take some better pics today... stedier hand... havent had like a can of coffie...

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No good. Now you'll just have jitters because you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms. :p

13. alternate.eago

Yeah I know.... cant find that stupid tripod...tearing the house eve further apart... lol :hehe: if thats possible!

14. opus13

opus13 What's a Dremel?

if you are going to post large images, make them worth looking at. no one really cares to look at a large crappy image of a blank door. that one picture is165k.

get a clue.

15. TLS

TLS What's a Dremel?

is this a joke?

16. alternate.eago

no this is not a joke, because later on after I get all the materials, there wil be some serious electronic, and computer modding... it will end up getting modded into the furniture.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2004
  17. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Well then, atleast resize your photos to a reasonable size and please please please use a tripod. Or just dont take photos.

18. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Calm down. This is an entire room/area mod to include computers that are built into furniture. In that context, it is proper (in my mind) to include the furniture and such that will be going into this entire project.

However, perhaps it would be good to at least include the computer hardware mods in the first few posts just to prove that it's not a 'what if' thread.

I guess what I'm saying is that computer + furniture + room should be ok, but furniture and/or room should probably be in another forum until computer work begins. Or something like that. I guess caffiene is making me ramble, sorry. I'll stop now.

19. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Please resize and compress your pics. 160kb per picture is insane!

They could quite happily go to 50% on their current size and still get your point across. Bet you could get them down to below 40kb each if you resized & compressed properly.

20. Spitfire

Spitfire What's a Dremel?

oooooo, we need a thread on here with everyone's houses/bedrooms! :D